Why can't I give myself a break?

sugar_lipswales

Silver Member
I'm starting to get really tired of the pressure that I'm putting myself under. If I'm not at the gym working til my joints crack and I pull muscles I feel so guilty! I'm scared stupid of letting go and relaxing in case I gain weight, it's not normally the end of the world for most people but it is for me. Right now I'm thinking I should be at the gym but I feel like pants, I should be able to give myself a day off now and then, why can't I give myself a break???

If you don't feel well, stay away from the gym!! You're more at risk of doing yourself a real injury!

One day off will not make your weight magically go back on again. In fact, not being at the gym will mean you can concentrate on your food 100% - maybe that will take your mind off not going?

I know my body needs rest and that a few days off now and then will not pile all 8 1/2 stone back on but in my head it all starts with just one pound and the guilt I feel is immense lately. I've gotten under 13 stone, I'm a size 14, I've achieved things I never thought possible 4 years ago when I started but I'm still not happy :( God, how ungrateful does that sound?

By not going to the gym for a day does not automatically mean you will gain all the weight you have lost.

Give your body a rest, if you feel you must do something, why not walk to the shop instead of driving/taking the bus, or just go out for a short walk. Perhaps do something not too energetic but something which will make you feel better.

Does your gym have a yoga class which you could go to, then you will be going to the gym but not to work out.

I totally see where you're coming from - I used to be like that about swimming; If I didn't go a few times every week, I thought I'd ruined everything!
But thing is, sometimes your body really needs the rest and you'll be doing more damage by exercising when you're not feeling 100%.

If you're really worried about not doing exercise, is there nothing gentle that you can do? If you're not feeling good then you hardly want to give it an hour on a treadmill, but maybe some gentle stepping on the Wii Fit (if you have one - although it doesn't matter if you don't really) or a slow walk, listening to some music?

That way, you've still done *some* exercise without putting your body under unnecessary stress when it's not up to it... xxxx

I think a nice long walk into town will make me feel a bit better and if the weather is ok later perhaps another one with the boyf. I honestly don't know why I'm so hard on myself and why I stress so much about it all when stress can make my body hang on to weight anyway so it's actually counter productive lol!

I understand how you feel Hun.
I used to think the same way, but as the others have said. You should not exercise every day as your body needs to rest. I was also advised this from the army PTI's where I work. At the most you should exercise every other day, but that is..at the most!
I tend to work out 3 times a week and also do a wii fit session with my Daughter (I dont really count this as exercise, but more fun) and I also teach jive when I have clients.
Just enjoy the break while you can and as soon as you are fighting fit, go for the exercise again.

I hope you feel better soon.

xxx

I think a nice long walk into town will make me feel a bit better and if the weather is ok later perhaps another one with the boyf. I honestly don't know why I'm so hard on myself and why I stress so much about it all when stress can make my body hang on to weight anyway so it's actually counter productive lol!

Sounds like a good plan love!
Hope you enjoy your walk... I really should take my own advice and do the same! xxx

Back