Why can't we have drinks with Citric Acid?

onefatmama

Hi,

I cant really stomach too much of the CD water flavours, so for the past fortnight Iv been drinking no suger squashes and zero kcal fizzy drinks, they dont seem to have knocked me out of ketosis.

Why ar'nt we allowed citric acid, is it just the keto thing?:confused:

It is mainly the ketosis but also..the fizzy drinks can make you feel bloated and hungry.
I allow myself only 1 Coke Zero a day and don't have too much of a problem with that.

This is a whole can of worms thing that someone is going to disagree with me about.

Citric acid does contain carbs - in trace amounts. So therefore in some people there is a chance that those drinks may knock them out of ketosis and bring back the hunger.

Fizzy stuff can make you bloated and yes some people will find that they get cravings and hunger.

Thing is I drink Pepsi Max and know that for me it doesn't affect ketosis, and doesn't make me hungry, bloat me or give me cravings. And my own personal opinion on the subject is that surely it's better for someone to have a diet coke or a pepsi max (which do contain citric acid) rather than cave in and eat the bag of crisps. It's the lesser of two evils. But it's a personal choice. I have told people in the past that if they know they get hungry after having the citric acid containing drinks, that it would be a bad idea to drink them on SS.

I'm with you, Debz. I always drank diet drinks throughout my days on cd, and it didn't make a blind bit of difference. I also did Atkins for five months prior to cd, and it made no difference then, either - there's no mention of citric acid in Atkins/low-carb literature! As I understand it, there's no substantial evidence to back up the citric acid taking you out of ketosis theory, so i'm generally wary about the whole thing.

As Debz says, better a can of Diet Coke than a packet of crisps - just drink with caution.

Jo x

Thank you .......... (I hate posting about diet drinks - keep thinking I'll get :hitthefan:)
Hehe - no worries, Debz! I'm also wary about putting my neck on the line like that, not only about diet drinks, but about other things such as having two bars in a day, having the odd salad, etc. However, lifestyle can make this diet very difficult, so you have to be realistic. If the occasional 'tweak' keeps people going and losing weight, then so be it!

Jo x

I found that Coke Zero makes me VERY hungry after about 20 minutes but that the Perfectly Clear Strawberry & Kiwi doesn't!

Also Morrisons do a Blackberry & Blueberry flavoured water which is also citric acid free, which is worth a thought.

I found that Coke Zero makes me VERY hungry after about 20 minutes but that the Perfectly Clear Strawberry & Kiwi doesn't!

Also Morrisons do a Blackberry & Blueberry flavoured water which is also citric acid free, which is worth a thought.

So there you go see, here's someone who can't have the so called OK zero drinks. See we're all different.

Hehe - no worries, Debz! I'm also wary about putting my neck on the line like that, not only about diet drinks, but about other things such as having two bars in a day, having the odd salad, etc. However, lifestyle can make this diet very difficult, so you have to be realistic. If the occasional 'tweak' keeps people going and losing weight, then so be it!

Jo x

Oh I'm with you on that one. I don't do it on forums, but I do sustainable Cambridge Counselling with clients. I did have one woman lose 6st on three bars a day. Did anything bad happen? No. I warned her of the mega farting/lack of ketosis risks and she still did it. She lost weight. So that was bad how exactly?

I'm afraid the way I work with clients I see face to face is trying to find the lesser of many evils to get them through the day. It usually means they can get the weight off despite having to do the odd off diet things. (The basics are still the same - water/number of portions etc.)

I totally agree with Debs, and I wish I had her as my counsellor when I was on prison Lighter Life! I had three months of complete deprivation complying with unnecesarily strict rules and a very inflexible counsellor approach that made life very hard. If I had done CD from the beginning I truly believe my weight loss would have been as good (if not better), I went the distance but sadly many didnt becuase they just found it TOO harsh, be interesting to know what the drop our rate is on LL, in my group I estimated 60 %. Things like AAM week and Little things like flavoured water, coke etc , would have made life so much easier and at the end of the day its sticking with it that is the important thing, as debs says anything that gets you through the day, the only way you can really fail is to jack it in.

Thank you that's really kind.

For all the good LL is supposed to do with the CBT etc, I do see an awful lot of exLLers who have put on all or some of their weight. (Obviously there are others who lost it all and kept it off.)

Point I'm trying to make is LL is just a diet like any other. It's not going to be the cure all for every person who tries it.

Pretty much in the same way I know SW/food combining is hopeless for me because I put on a stone whilst doing that one.

Back