why do we get upset when people call us fat if we know it's true?

Sweethearts

Gold Member
Discussed this with my mum yesterday, I know I'm big and i criticise and slag off the way i look all the time. But as soon as somebody else says it, i get all defensive and upset. If I know and think the exact same as they're saying/thinking... why does it bother me so much?

Because being 'fat' has so many negative connotations attached to it-fat means you're lazy, smelly, spend all day eating and watching tv. It's not necessarily true but those are the ideas that society have attached to being fat, no one wants to be thought of in that way. Even if you are overweight the other things are not necessarily true but it's what many people think-to have any of those 'ideas/images' attached to you is disheartening.
I'm pretty sure there are more eloquent ways of getting my point across but forgive me I'm on my god damn phone cause the electrics off!

I agree with Jenna, i think its because of the labels that society attaches to being 'fat'.

We dont like people to think negative of us, but we can do it ourselves. Same with alcoholics, they know they have an issue but god forbid anyone else pointing it out x

I think its a case of tact. I know I have been fat, and I've been the first to say it, but for someone else to call me fat I think is quite hurtful.

There are other words you can use can get your point accross which are a lot more polite. I don't see why anyone would say it to someone else unless they're actually trying to hurt them

Because its usually said in a nasty way. A bit like being called specky four eyes, or spotty, or baldy or whatever, no one calls you that in a nice way!

I have to agree its because people say it and its not usually being nice. When I was younger I really suffered with acne, I knew I was spotty but obviously it still really hurt if someone said I was spotty, because its just not a nice thing to say, someone calling someone fat is the same thing. Just because we know something does not mean we need people telling us that as well.

Back