Why Does Five Weeks Always Seem the stopping point

The Rose

Rosie
I have this on my mind so thought I would ask for help.:confused:
For me and some others five weeks seems to be the point when we either get fed up with the diet, start feeling okay, or start feeling a bit bored.
This is getting towards the end of my second week and do not want to let myself down.
Do you wonderful people have any tips about getting through that difficult part.:sigh:
It has been bothering me a lot and although at the start I am really strong, I know that shortly I will start feeling better about myself and everything will fall flat on its face.
Does this happen to you and how do you cope with it.
Love
Rosie xxx:D

I dipped around the 5 week mark on my current programme. I got through it by remembering how much I am actually enjoying the programme - eating healthily/exercising etc and how much I enjoyed dropping a dress size. The thing that pulled me through the most was by blogging about it and getting support from other people on the programme. That's the great thing about sites like these. Every time you feel down, there is someone to support you through the tough patch. Good luck!

Thankyou Beatle. I think it may be just a case of getting through that barrier. I have started blogging which I have never done before. Hopefully that will help me.
Many thanks for your support.
Rosie x:D

Hi Rosie - I think everyone who's fallen off the diet wagon in the past has a kind of demon boundary in their head. Can be different for everyone. For me, it was always 6 months. I'd commit to a scrupulous regime of very low calories and lots of exercise, and when I hadn't got exactly what I wanted at the 6 month mark I'd get despondent. Or I'd ease off, figuring that I deserved some respite for the hard work.

I really do think the key to breaking through old mental barriers is to make sure your plan is sustainable in the long term and your body isn't going to start sending out panic signals which erode your will power. I don't have a good answer to the prob, really, but I think that thinking long term and taking short term goals out of the equation helps you with adopting a mindset and way of relating to food that you can embrace as a lifestyle, rather than just a finite diet, you know? Once you've done that, time and goals are less relevant, because you've basically got all the time in the world because you've accepted you're never going back to the old you and the old style of eating.

Trying to do too much or be too perfect with calories/exercise etc., can be a form of self-sabotage. What works for me personally is not trying to do too much or do it too quickly. Got to give your mind and body the time to get in sync with each other, and that's tough to do when your weight and shape are constantly changing.

I had that problem a few months ago after a few birthdays and eating out, and I gained about 7 pounds bk again after hard work of losing it, I realised then that I had to change, I take control of what I'm doing even at my birthday, I have the odd slice of cake but I dont go mad anymore, I also weigh myself, I've got used to eating healtherly and now I would feel lost without healthy food, I still strugle sometimes with overeating when I'm at my grans because she offers so much, I say no alot of the time but sometimes I dont and unfortunatly the more I eat the more I feel hungry, but there again its only at the weekends so I able to maintain my weight.

Rosie, I read a pretty good list of tips for maintaining weight loss recently, all common sense stuff but I think that the secrets for maintaining weight loss are the same secrets to keeping up your healthy eating regime, whether you're at maintenance or not. Here's the link to the article: Maintaining weight loss intro :: Diet Wellbeing :: All About You

Here's a list of the key points they make:

1) Don't ban food. When people are allowed to eat what they like in moderation, they find it easier to maintain weight loss than when foods are forbidden.

2) Always eat breakfast. Follow-up studies of successful maintainers found that nearly 80% ate breakfast every day. Your metabolism slows down overnight, and eating in the morning gets it going.

3) Check your weight regularly. You don't need to be obsessive, but most successful maintainers report getting on the scales once a week to stay focused.

4) Keep a food diary. Write down everything you eat in the early days to help identify unhelpful patterns.

5) Sit down to eat. A recent German study found successful maintainers avoid eating on the hoof, but sit down and take their time over meals.

6) Prepare for tough times. They're bound to happen, particularly in the first six to 12 months. Plan your strategy for coping, whether it's calling a friend or just distracting yourself.

7) Accept your weight might creep up. If it does, don't panic and do something drastic, such as starving yourself or giving up. Eat 75% of your normal portion for dinner, skip wine and do a little more exercise to get back on track.

8) Exercise. There's no getting away from it, regular exercise is the key to keeping weight down, and research shows that maintainers are active for at least an hour every day.

9) Never waste calories. Make a conscious decision to save calories for food that you really enjoy.

10) Check why you're eating. Stop and ask yourself if you're really hungry, or if you're trying to cope with anger, stress or anxiety. If it's the latter, address the matter

11) Eat before you get too hungry. The danger is that the longer you wait, the more likely you are to overeat. Eat balanced meals and eat them regularly.

12) Know it gets easier! When you feel your motivation slipping, remember that research shows the longer you keep the weight off, the less effort it takes.

Some good points there, I think! There's also an article on the 'secrets of naturally slim women,' which was interesting - again, basic common sense principles, but they might just help. Here's the link: weight loss slim secret s intro :: Diet Wellbeing :: All About You

List of points:

1) Stop thinking 'good food, bad food.' Putting "good" or "bad" labels on what you eat can make you feel a failure if you eat too many of the "wrong" types. And if you feel you've already failed or let yourself down for eating a couple of biscuits, you'll be more likely to end up eating the whole packet.Try eating foods that you've previously thought of as "sinful" every day in small amounts. Once you are able to master these foods, instead of them mastering you, the urge to binge on them will go.

2) Get fruity. Slim women, on average, have one more serving of fruit each day than overweight people, according to a study in the Journal of the American Dietetic Association. Try eating a whole fruit portion (not juice) before every meal, which is a great trick to cut down on the amount of calories you eat. Keeping fruit on your desk at work will help keep you away from the vending machine.

3) Distinguish between hunger and appetite. Naturally slim people are much more likely to eat only when they have genuine feelings of hunger. Appetite can be stimulated by anything from boredom to watching food adverts on the TV, but the key difference between these cravings and true hunger is that the cravings go away. If you can't work out whether you are genuinely hungry or not, give it 20 minutes. If you are still feeling the pangs, then go ahead and eat something. If it was just a craving, the urge will have passed.

4) Stop using food as an emotional prop. Naturally slim people will try to solve a problem by talking it through, rather than turning to food. And they'll get their comfort from other things such as friendship, me-time or non-food treats like a book or listening to music. To break the comfort-eating habit, keep a food and thoughts diary to identify the exact events or emotions that are most likely to prompt you to overeat. To re-program yourself not to eat as an emotional response, write a list of distracting activities you can do instead and stick it on the fridge as a reminder.

5) Shop like you're slim. Savvy slim shoppers avoid unplanned supermarket forays, but make a list of what you need beforehand. ‘Impulsive food choices often prove to be unhealthy ones, but if you shop with a list, you'll be less likely to grab high-calorie foods off the shelf,' says Dr Schenker from the British Nutrition Foundation. In the same vein, don't go to the grocery store hungry, or you'll soon find yourself lining up for free cheese and dip samples in the deli section.

6) Get active. Even if you go to the gym for an hour three times a week, that's still only three per cent of your waking hours spent on being very active. One of the best-kept secrets of slim people is to be on the move a lot during the other 97 per cent of the time. If you're not a natural fidget, you can consciously plan small bursts of activity , and even small actions add up - such as taking the stairs instead of the lift, standing rather than sitting while on the phone, and walking to a colleague's desk instead of emailing.

7) Keep a routine. A varied diet is good but did you know that too much taste-bud titillation in one meal can encourage you to overeat? If you fill your plate with a mass of different flavours and textures, you're less likely to get bored, which means you'll keep eating for longer! Strike a balance by making 80 per cent of your meals from a narrower range of different foods. Predictability doesn't have to be boring and it does keep you away from limitless opportunities to over-indulge.

8) Break the sugar habit. If you take sugar in tea and coffee you might think that you'd never be able to drink it unsweetened, but give your taste-buds a chance to adjust, and you'll save yourself around 15 calories a time (or 30 if you have two spoonfuls). The same goes for breakfast cereals. A lot of cereals already have a high sugar content, so they should be perfectly palatable without additional sweetening.

9) Drink plenty of water. If you're feeling hungry, the last thing you may want is a glass of water but try it - it works. When you come in from a long day at the office or a draining shopping trip, you might be tempted to head straight to the snacks in the cupboard to tide you over until dinner. But chances are the pangs you're feeling are thirst and not hunger. If you find the taste of plain water too bland, then add a small amount of low-sugar cordial or have a refreshing cup of hot water and lemon. Substitute water, for high-calorie fizzy drinks too. Not only will it make you feel cleansed and rehydrated, it's better for your teeth and skin.

10) Don't go without. It might sound surprising but people who skip meals are more likely to put on weight than those who have a healthy attitude towards food and eat three meals a day. It's a mantra we've all heard but breakfast really is the most important meal of the day. A 2003 study showed that people who ate a nutritious breakfast were a third less likely to become obese than those who went without. One reason for this is that eating first thing helps stabilise your blood sugar levels, which in turn regulates how quickly you burn energy. Of course it also means you won't be as tempted by that plate of biscuits come 11 o'clock.

-----

I think the last point is especially important! Keep your body and mind satisfied and you'll be less likely to come up against those sabotaging mental barriers.

Iris that is a really great summary. It does sound very similar to the programme I am following at the moment but it had some angles I haven't thought about before

Back