Why is sugar bad for us?

slimmerkay

Silver Member
I mean I know it's bad for your teeth but why does it makes us gain weight?

I can understand why fat sticks to us and makes us gain the pounds but what happens with sugar? Does it turn to fat inside our bodies or something?

Sorry if it's a thicky question :eek:

There's no such thing as a silly question.

Basically what happens is sugar is converted by the body to blood sugar. High blood sugar is dangerous to the body so the dody uses this fuel first to return the blood sugar to it;s natural level.

This then leaves any fat consumed at the same time not to be needed as fuel so is stored in our bodies - usually on my hips lol

If the body doesn't use all of the sugar in the blood stream that can also be stored as fat

Hope this makes sense

Great! Thanks for that :D

Suga make u fatty :p

Sugars are converted in to glycogen which is stored by the body. Glycogen is used in preference to fat as an energy source, meaning that the fat you are eating is not being used, and so stored.
So when trying to lose weight it is also important that you check the labels for sugar content as alot of low fat foods (pre prepared meals) contain alot of sugars.

the reality of loosing weight is that for every lb you loose you have to have used 3500 kcal more than you have consumed, so although xenical will help it is also important to keep an eye on calorie intake and/or exercise as well.

Back