why is..??

The reason flour is not a HEx is because SW have no control over what you might make with it.

The healthy extra's have a lot of factors which are considered when SW select them.

Flour will never be free, as then there would be no restriction on the amount you use and we would all be making cakes, biscuits, unlimited bread etc and lets face it no one is ever going to lose weight eating unlimited amount of those.

I believe you can use wholewheat bread flour to make your own rolls/bread etc, but you would as normal not be able to have more than 57g of it made up as a HEb. So it is still not the flour that is a HEb, but the made up bread. If that makes sense. I doubt slimming world will ever approve flour to be used as a HEb to make yorkshire pudding/pancakes. As these are not a HEb item.

Last edited:
Im confused I know Tesco granary flour has been syn free classified according to this forum, if this is the case then we could make syn free pancakes with this flour and use milk as HEA or even water.

It's not a granary flour - it's tesco wholemeal bread flour which could not be used for pancakes. Bread flour is very different to other flour - if you tried to make a cake from it, it would come out very chewy.

Granary bread is not a HEB by the way so using granary flour to make bread would still not count as a HEB

Sorry to dig this out again and throw my arguments into the discussion. I still think wholemeal flour should be HEX'd as it is indeed more filling than other flour. Also it doesn't matter what you do with it (in my mind) - if you make let's say a nice yummy wholemeal muffin or maybe a pancake or a yorkshire pudding - as long as you syn any other ingredients that have to be sinned I think it would still be as filling..No matter how flat the pancake is. I make pancakes out of eggs an quark and they are totally free. Whether that is less filling than a boiled egg just because a boiled egg is firmer!?! I don't think so!

I calculated that technically - if 28 grams of WM flour have 4.5 syns, you could have 37.2 grams as a HEX B (technically!!). I think it's interesting that WM flour has less syns per 28 grams than white flour. And that has to do with the fibre content not with the calorie content - they both have the same amount of calories. And I am sure my flour has more fibre than Warburtons yucky wholemeal bread full of preservatives...

judywoody said:
Sorry to dig this out again and throw my arguments into the discussion. I still think wholemeal flour should be HEX'd as it is indeed more filling than other flour. Also it doesn't matter what you do with it (in my mind) - if you make let's say a nice yummy wholemeal muffin or maybe a pancake or a yorkshire pudding - as long as you syn any other ingredients that have to be sinned I think it would still be as filling..No matter how flat the pancake is. I make pancakes out of eggs an quark and they are totally free. Whether that is less filling than a boiled egg just because a boiled egg is firmer!?! I don't think so!

I calculated that technically - if 28 grams of WM flour have 4.5 syns, you could have 37.2 grams as a HEX B (technically!!). I think it's interesting that WM flour has less syns per 28 grams than white flour. And that has to do with the fibre content not with the calorie content - they both have the same amount of calories. And I am sure my flour has more fibre than Warburtons yucky wholemeal bread full of preservatives...

As Britmum said tho, it's not the flour that makes up the HEb-it's the complete bread

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

As Britmum said tho, it's not the flour that makes up the HEb-it's the complete bread

Well, bread is basically just flour and water :) And yeast of course..but that's not much looking at the whole bread!

judywoody said:
Well, bread is basically just flour and water :) And yeast of course..but that's not much looking at the whole bread!

If you feel that strongly about this, then maybe you should contact head office! There will be very strict criteria that food items will have to meet in order to be a HE and I'm sure no amount of justification by a member will change this! I would imagine that as they will have no way to stop People using flour for anything else apart from bread there is no chance!!!

Back