WHY NO SWIMMING SESSIONS ?

sonkie

Gold Member
One thing that really bugs me is these swimming pools that do sessions for over 50`s, ladies only etc, why has no-one come up with a size 16+ session, if there was such a thing I would be at every session. Myself and Karen used to go to public swim sesions in the evening, but the looks you get are awful. Though we kept it up until sadly the pool closed it was very emotional and it upset me.

The government are trying to encourage overweight people to lose the weight so wouldn`t it be a good idea to give them the opportunity to exercise with like minded people who will not look at you as if you have the plague.

All thoughts on this are welcome.

SONKIE

I think that would be a great idea! I didn't go swimming for nearly 20 years because I wouldn't be seen in a swimsuit amongst 'normal' people.

Our local pool does the 'over 50s' thing and even a session for the disabled but nothing specific for the overweight who, let's face it, probably feel every bit as vulnerable as other marginalised sections of society.

I might have considered going swimming if I knew I wasn't going to be a whale amongst minnows!

Exactly, I even asked 1 pool if they would consider it but they passed us on to the council, but we could never get hold of them, maybe we should start a campaign .....lol

SONKIE

Fab idea Sonkie! I would feel much happier in the pool with similar peeps!

In principle I think it sounds like a good idea but I think the council would be consider it discrimination. Because can you imagine how you feel if you went to the pool and were told you couldn't go to that session becasue it was for size 14's and under?

That would be horrific.

I can totally understand how you feel but I do think it would be difficult to implement.

Dizzy x

YEH BUT WHAT IF MEN GO TO THE POOL AND ITS A LADIES ONLY SESSION, IF THEY CAN DO IT FOR THEM AND FOR OVER 50`S I CANT SEE THE PROBLEM. IF THEY MADE IT EASIER FOR US TO PARTICIPATE IN EXERCISE WE WOULDNT HAVE THIS PROBLEM.

SONKIE thanx for your views

I wouldnt mind different groups having there own time in a pool, as I never just turn up I always go by the timetable so would not get it muddled

Sonkie

Back