Why you shouldn't trade, sell or donate your phone!

also be aware of the materials needed to make mobile phones, coltan for instance, which is rare and valuable, found by destroying the rainforests, and therefore responsible for the endangered and critically endangered status of many animals including gorillas.
I know too many people constantly updating phones when there is nothing wrong with the old one, talk about unnecessary killing species off.
I am not familiar with blackberries, but if you have standard old phones laying around, you can donate them to charity in freepost envelopes, just take your sim out first, so your data is safe and species do not unneccesarily suffer.
sorry if I sound like a preaching know it all hippy, Pierce posted a valuable article, I just hate to kill of animals when there is no need x

The problem is that on any phone today not all data is stored on the sim card. Such as notes, txt messages, callendar information or browsing history all of which can be obtained by putting in a sim card.

Also phones with memory cards may still store information on the phone and not on the card.

Unless your an expert and know how to reset your phone completly it is best advised not to throw away or donate your phone.

Pierce

All phones can be wiped by doing a simple Factory Reset, whilst your link is informative and makes for good reading, I think it is damaging to warn people not to donate their phones, especially when they can donate to well respected and known charities, what is the alternative, bin them, even recycling bins are an avenue to the illegal trading of handsets.

All phones can be wiped by doing a simple Factory Reset, whilst your link is informative and makes for good reading, I think it is damaging to warn people not to donate their phones, especially when they can donate to well respected and known charities, what is the alternative, bin them, even recycling bins are an avenue to the illegal trading of handsets.

Ive done a factory/master reset does not always work:

Erasing all data on a Nokia 6310i

And yes I found that out because I had that phone.

Pierce

Thanks pierce.. i put all sorts of info into my text messages.. in cluding bank details and stuff.. i shall be very careful..
x x

not sure what value my texts/browsing history would have for a Nigerian gang?

Oh, you'd be surprised, honestly!
:eek:
My OH is Nigerian and he and his brothers are regularly warning all their wives/partners about scams that are going on in Nigeria.

Also, both he and I have received several phonecalls in the past, totally out of the blue showing Nigerian mobile numbers. Answered them thinking it may be a family member with a new mobile number and it has just been some random guy trying to weadle our names out of us:rolleyes:

OH says that selling of lists of mobile numbers for the UK happens regularly in Nigeria and has been a common scam for many years. I just hand him my phone now if I see a strange international number and he's here and let him deal with it! Although they do tend to put the phone down pretty quickly when he starts quizzing them in Igbo and they realise he's Nigerian!!...lol:eek:

glad to say I never answer the phone to an unknown number :) and am careful with personal details. The phones i've recyled were so old that most poeple will have changed their numbers by now!

Will bear your info in mind tho, I am thankful really, as ignorance isn't always bliss!

I still get mad at people who seem to be constantly upgrading at the cost of the gorillas, monkeys and all the other species, aswell of course the indigenous people who already struggling to survive, have their hunting groungs destroyed.

Thanks Pierce, very informative.

Back