Will be crossing over to the dark side soon

rosie mae

Hi everyone, i have been loosing weight on the TFR Lipotrim and will be maintaining on the GL diet... i am looking to build up a circle of support ready to change over... i have about a stone to go... any tips.... what is the best way to go about it....
i had a little break from my Lipotrim diet for a few weeks and i confused myself with the Lipo maintainance and the GL sooooo - i havent read any GL stuff for a while...need to complete what i am doing... but if anyone can help or advise me i would be very greatful... this is what i will be doing for the rest of my life....

thanks

Rosie Maex

Hi Rosie Mae and welcome to the GI/GL section. I think you'll enjoy eating low GI/GL, it's not that hard to do, and it's pretty simple once you get the hang of it. Eating low GI/GL isn't the dark side, it's actually a light, well balanced and healthy style of eating :). With low GI/GL I relearned how to eat and keep portions in check.

I'm not too sure what the lipotrim maintainance part is like, but Irish Molly used to do Lipotrim years ago, and then she switched over to low GL. She lost more weight and have been maintaining now for a couple of years. She's a huge inspiration to many of us here in the GI/GL section, she also has many great tips and advice:).

With low GL you basically switch out the high GL foods for low GL ones. There also is a general rule of thumb (according to Holford) to have at least half a plate of veggies, a quarter for carbs, and a quarter for protein. For example you can have a very small bowl of cereal, or you can eat a large very filling bowl of oatmeal with berries. Instead of eating potatoes, white pasta, bread and rice; you can exchange them for quinoa, oat, barley, buckwheat, beans, brown rice etc. If you skim through some of our food diaries you can see what we eat, and that gives a great idea on what low GI/GL is :)

Not sure if I helped, I'm still jetlagged >_<

Hi RosieMae and welcome. Cali has summed GL up pretty neatly for you. GL is a great way to live and soooo not like a diet. Had I discovered it before doing a vlcd I'd have used GL for the entire weightloss journey.
With GL you are eating simple, wholesome, unprocessed foods that leave you feeling full and satisfied. After TFR I lost another 29lbs on GL.
If you view GL as your life plan then the remaining pounds will shift and you will maintain your losses.
My tips ( in addition to Cali's):
Portion sizes!! Weigh foods for a couple of weeks till you are comfortable visualising the correct amounts.
Water! Keep up your water habit. Drink two litres every day.
Snacks! Don't skip them. They are an important way to top up your glucose levels. Snacks are SMALL!! Two plums. 5 almonds, 2 oatcakes with a thin spread of peanut butter or hummous, a baby bel are all examples of snack portions.
Veg! Eat mostly veg that grows above the ground. It should be half your plate.
Protein! Small portions! Weigh it till you know what 75-85g looks like.
Starchy carbs! Bread, potato, pasta and rice can only be consumed in small quantities so it is often best to find a substitute. Rye crackers, oat bread( recipe in the stickies section), rye bread, oat cakes, lentils, all beans, quinoa, couscous can all be used to bulk up a meal without raising blood sugars too much.
Planning! Take just a little time to plan food for the week. It's easy to have some pre prepared food in the fridge. When I make a spicy bean stew, I put two portions in the fridge. I do the same with lentil curry. I also precook a couple portions of quinoa and then I can just toss it into a nice stirfy. A few boiled eggs are a great standby too.
This forum! Keep posting to keep yourself motivated. Read other peeps threads. Plum and Cali have both been regular posters with excellent info in their threads. There's lots of new people in the last few weeks so check them out too. Check out the threads in the Stickies section for great recipes and tips.
Books! Maybe read Patrick holford's book for an indepth read. Nigel Denby is good too. Also google the glycemic index foundation where there is lots of useful info.

Good luck and keep posting

Hey thank you so much you two.... i hope i can lean on you both to help me make the change... i have got some nigel dembybooks and some of Holfords too, so i am getting prepared.... I love all the food that you mentioned, i am a veggie, and think i will find the change great... i think its protion sizes for me...
Still on the Lipotrim for about 3 weeks, then a bootcamp to celebrate my weight loss, then, the rest of my life on GL... i hope to hear a lot more of you in the future as you both sound like a great support.... i am not sure how to get onto the areas you suggested for diaries and recipes etc... can you help to direct me?

will contact you both again soon, if you dont mind.... BIG THANK YOU .... X

I'll be here for a good while, I'm taking things really slow recently. I'm trying to jump back in, as I've been away for two months.

Taking a break is a good thing, as your body does need to celebrate and enjoy. We're all happy to try to help as best as we can. Everyone here is very helpful with tips and advice. My diary is actually listed at the bottom of my signature, it's the big link written in dark blue. If you go to the "GI Diet Support Forum" section you can see the sticky forums where it has the recipes.

I'll be here for a good while, I'm taking things really slow recently. I'm trying to jump back in, as I've been away for two months.

Taking a break is a good thing, as your body does need to celebrate and enjoy. We're all happy to try to help as best as we can. Everyone here is very helpful with tips and advice. My diary is actually listed at the bottom of my signature, it's the big link written in dark blue. If you go to the "GI Diet Support Forum" section you can see the sticky forums where it has the recipes.

thank you so much x

Hey, day one of the GL diet today, i found it good, i hope i am doing it right, i guess when you have been on lipotrim food seems to be such a sin, and you take your shakes mindlessly, you have to start to eat again, and that is both bliss and challenging at the same time... i went a bit off the wall over the weekend, i mean, to much cheese 2 glasses of red wine and a magnum, and i couldnt stop eating on Friday night, all healthy, but wey to much... it was like being out of control so anyway i feel that this eating plan, for the rest of my life is a good anchour to stop me from drifting... so all the support you can give me please, i need a circle of friends to support me please.... i hope i can help too, when i have my head around this diet... thanks everyone x

Back