Will it hurt me if...?

Hiya Claire

You know what I am going to say :)

At the end of the day the BBF is there for a reason and especially on Cambridge packs as the nutrients in the tetras can deteriate rapidly as they are already active.

Therefore because your health is key then I have to say officially you shouldn't be having them.

Mike

I'mgoing to risk the wrath of Mike by saying that in reality the packs will probably be fine.

1.The nutrient levels ar guarenteed up until the BBE date.
2.The shelf life of the shakes is over a year at time of production.
3.your shakes are a matter of a couple of weeks out of date.
4.The nutrients don't suddenly evaporate after BBE date.
5. They certainly won't harm you,they may just not have quite the full concentration of eg all the vitamins.

consequently, at a purely practical level, if you'd had just the one or 2 I'd have said there is probably little to cause you to worry, but make sure you get a long life on your next supplies.

Where I do agree with mike is due to the large number of out of date shakes,the possible & cumulative risk of there being some percentage nutrient deficiency is thus much greater & fresh supplies should be sought.

Also you don't say how long you've had them. If they were bought recently you should be able to get your CDC to exchange them.
If they were out of date at the time of purchase they should not have been sold to you in the first place.

thankyou kindly!

now I'm learning to keep it off. It's a completly different game, but having Cambridge products to use as a tool in the calorie counting is definatly making it easier

I'mgoing to risk the wrath of Mike by saying that in reality the packs will probably be fine.

1.The nutrient levels ar guarenteed up until the BBE date.
2.The shelf life of the shakes is over a year at time of production.
3.your shakes are a matter of a couple of weeks out of date.
4.The nutrients don't suddenly evaporate after BBE date.
5. They certainly won't harm you,they may just not have quite the full concentration of eg all the vitamins.

consequently, at a purely practical level, if you'd had just the one or 2 I'd have said there is probably little to cause you to worry, but make sure you get a long life on your next supplies.

Where I do agree with mike is due to the large number of out of date shakes,the possible & cumulative risk of there being some percentage nutrient deficiency is thus much greater & fresh supplies should be sought.

Also you don't say how long you've had them. If they were bought recently you should be able to get your CDC to exchange them.
If they were out of date at the time of purchase they should not have been sold to you in the first place.

lol you won't get any wrath from me :) I am just saying that the BBF is there for a reason and also the fact she said they tasted alright (ish!) makes me worry they have already turned!

Mike

lol you won't get any wrath from me :) I am just saying that the BBF is there for a reason and also the fact she said they tasted alright (ish!) makes me worry they have already turned!

Mike
Yes ,you might have a point there.
ive been a student , you cant scare me with best before dates

When I'd finished laughing I had a rather sadder thought.
I'm so old that when I was a student I'm not sure they'd even invented best before dates.:(

Last edited:
It did make me think back to my Uni days.

I lived in a little village in Huddersfield (unfortunately the village that little 4 year old was terribly killed at the weekend) and I had a fray bentos pie which was 7 months out of date, I literally had no money (not even enough to get on the bus to go into town) so I ate it, the meat literally was off !! (nice pastry though)

Nah Mike, Fray Bentos taste the same way whether they are out of date or in date, utterly disgusting. Have not met one person who could eat a whole one!!!!

Jane I love your joint smoking beast avatar, bet BBF dates dont worry him for the same reason they dont worry most students!

suspect you're right. He's probably vegetarian at heart but doubt he'd be able to read the label anyway. All summer I've been telling him to go & get a haircut but you know what teenagers are like.:rolleyes:

Nah Mike, Fray Bentos taste the same way whether they are out of date or in date, utterly disgusting. Have not met one person who could eat a whole one!!!!
Ooh, no - I love Fray Bentos pies!! Haven't had one for years, but I could certainly eat a whole one! There's something great about the gooeyness of the underside of the pastry...

Jo x

Ooh, no - I love Fray Bentos pies!! Haven't had one for years, but I could certainly eat a whole one! There's something great about the gooeyness of the underside of the pastry...

Jo x

Funny, that's exactly what I thought last year when I noticed them on the shelf.
I've had home-made ones in between, but it'd been years since a FrayBentos one and nostalgia kicked in. It was so nasty! Either the quality has gone way down, or I view my childhood meals through rose-tinted glasses. :confused:

Funny, that's exactly what I thought last year when I noticed them on the shelf.
I've had home-made ones in between, but it'd been years since a FrayBentos one and nostalgia kicked in. It was so nasty! Either the quality has gone way down, or I view my childhood meals through rose-tinted glasses. :confused:
You could be right - maybe I wouldn't care for them so much these days! I had that experience recently with Toast Toppers (remember them?!). I used to lurrrve them, so bought a cheese and ham one, which was always my fave! It was horrid, although i'm convinced that the quality must've gone downhill, as it seemed really watery and tasteless! Maybe my tastes have just changed though.

Jo x

Penny just dropped. Are these the steak & kidney pies that come in a plate sized tin about 2" deep & you use a tin opener to remove the top then bung 'em in the oven?

If so..my H grew up on them. Soon after we met & I'd had him over to mine & given him kebabs in my own marinade in my, lasagne with home made bechemel & freshly grated nutmeg, steak en croute that didn't use JusRollpastry etc etc,

Finally he offered to feed me. Couldn't believe my luck: Good fun & domesticated. You've guessed what I got! with birds eye peas of course.

Penny just dropped. Are these the steak & kidney pies that come in a plate sized tin about 2" deep & you use a tin opener to remove the top then bung 'em in the oven?

If so..my H grew up on them. Soon after we met & I'd had him over to mine & given him kebabs in my own marinade in my, lasagne with home made bechemel & freshly grated nutmeg, steak en croute that didn't use JusRollpastry etc etc,

Finally he offered to feed me. Couldn't believe my luck: Good fun & domesticated. You've guessed what I got! with birds eye peas of course.
Yup - they're the ones!

Your story made me chuckle! Typical bloke, heh?! The most my fella ever made me was a fry up - about all he can do, I think!

Jo x

Yup - they're the ones!

Your story made me chuckle! Typical bloke, heh?! The most my fella ever made me was a fry up - about all he can do, I think!

Jo x

Man Homework;

You wish to enjoy the comany of & simultaneously impress your new charming & attractive young woman.

Compare & contrast the nutritional & culinary merits of Fray Bentos Meat pies Vs The All day breakfast as the perect food for that romantic meal-a-deux.

warning: Failure to remember to open The Pie before the application of heat will lose you marks.
Likewise the use of 'hairy' bacon.

fray bentos, corned beef in tins and sherbet never taste the same as an adult.
back to the student days , i regularly ate cheese and drank milk that had more culture than me.once bread is toasted you cant taste the mould

Back