Will the Cross-Trainer kill me!

Maximus

Gold Member
For someone trying to become fit, or re-find fitness after 5st and almost 30 years! I thought this innocent-looking fun gadget would be a breeze!

I was only set for 20 minutes, but as someone who regularly walks up to 12 miles these days thought I was ready.

I was knackered after 5 of the 20 minutes lol. I had no idea of pace and what pace to go off at! - needless to ssay i went off too quickly thinking 20 minutes is a doddle.

Eventually, I managed the pace thing, and got the 20 minutes - actually finished quite strongly. My question for any users out there is does it become 2nd nature, and will I eventually take it in my stride?

Tomorrow I'm due a re-match as well as a dabble on the rowing machine and exercise bike - weights hold no interest to me at this stage.

I can honestly say 20 minutes n a cross trainer was tougher than a 8 mile hike!

Steve (the wimp)

I was never too keen on the cross trainer at the gym when I used to go, as it used to make my toes go numb! That said, there's a big old cross trainer in the conservatory, so maybe I should get on it and see how long I can last before my toes go numb!

i have a crosstrainer(well actually my daughter does) and as its in the garage and its cold its not very appealing but i'll keep the comments in mind when do manage to get on it lol

It does get a lot easier with time.. I had some real difficulty getting my arms to do what my legs were doing! Lol.

Now I find it a breeze & often leave the machine, 20 minutes later, covered in sweat :D Lol

If its a cross trainer that allows different programmes look for the aerobics one. It tells you what pace you should go at and also gets you to work your arms more. By far my favorite gym piece!!

suppose i should stop using mine as a clothes horse lol and when i get over this swine flu give it a go again so will let you know xxx

I can see the attraction of using it as a clothes horse though!

Today I went back for round two! - it was much better - I didn't quite get around to kicking its butt, but I wounded the blighter;)

It's a good work out though and 20 minutes on there works up a good sweat and certainly gets the heart pumping. I notice several settings on there. Weight loss, cardio and strength being the main ones. I even went on a few other bits of kit today after the cross trainer.

Looks like we'll become mates:D

It might get kinder on my knees!

Steve

I just came across this post and it gave me a laugh. I got a x-trainer for Christmas and doing 10 minutes on it has me feeling all light headed, so I've started doing 3 minute blasts at five different intervals. Shame I can't switch it on at all to increase the gradient when I start getting fitter, as I just noticed tonight that my dog appears to have bitten through the power lead.

I could never do more than 10 mins on these they do me in, even when I was lighter and younger.Ive seen elderly people do 30 mins on the trainer I felt like patting them on the back and say Im jealous of your energy and stamina.I think you get a good workout on them though.

Im amazed when I see people run for an hour on the treadmill and then do crosstrainer for 1/2 hour phew!!! how fit must they be?

I manage 15mins on setting 5 REVERSE (cause my trainer said something about toniong my flabby thighs) but I'm supposed to do it on setting 6, if I do that I make it to 10mins before collapsing! :) It just needs working up to, but it's a great piece of kit, burns much more calories than the treadmill and bike combined for me!

I'm slightly jealous of all you who have said the cross trainer takes it out if you... I wish that would happen for me! my body just doesnt seem to be able to work the cross trainer - its too awkward and I always manage hurting myself somehow! Never know how to stop it :s I might need some lessons? Haha

Ha ha I love ur comments, yes cross trainer is great cardio and works arms and legs great for firming and avoiding any 'loose skin' as people have put it on other threads, and you will get used to it!! Keep it up!! All the best xx

Will the cross-trainer kill you?

That surely depends what you did to him. He's obviously not best pleased though.

Very, very cross to want to kill our lovely Steve. LOL !!!

suppose i should stop using mine as a clothes horse lol and when i get over this swine flu give it a go again so will let you know xxx

ah yes, but so good for airing the sheets !!!

Hope you are well soon.

Shame I can't switch it on at all to increase the gradient when I start getting fitter, as I just noticed tonight that my dog appears to have bitten through the power lead.

Is your dog related to any of my pack by any chance ?

My lap top mains lead has been redesigned. Looks quite attractive bound with pretty coloured tape !!!

The majority of people who use cross-trainers don't actually use them properly. You're supposed to be putting as much effort in with your arms as you are your legs, but most people will just hold on to the handles and let the motion move their arms instead of pushing and pulling. So if you're not putting in all the effort that's intended, then the calories that the machine says you've burnt and you have actually burnt will be quite different.

I used to work on the reception in a gym, and they way people used the cross trainers used to drive one of the trainers mad, he'd come out ranting all the time!!

Fine on forwards, but it used to kill me going backwards! But I'm still here!

Hi

At the gym I use cross trainers, rowing machine, bike, stepper and treadmill and the hardest of all of these is defo the cross trainer.

Guess you have to weigh it up- it is hardest so it is therefore the most effective. I could burn twice the amount of calories on a cross trainer than on a bike in the same amount of time.

Stick with it- it is brilliant exercise. Get your arms involved and keep alternating- 2 minutes pushing followed by 2 minutes pulling- great all-over workout!

xxx

Hi

At the gym I use cross trainers, rowing machine, bike, stepper and treadmill and the hardest of all of these is defo the cross trainer.

Guess you have to weigh it up- it is hardest so it is therefore the most effective. I could burn twice the amount of calories on a cross trainer than on a bike in the same amount of time.

Stick with it- it is brilliant exercise. Get your arms involved and keep alternating- 2 minutes pushing followed by 2 minutes pulling- great all-over workout!

xxx
100% agree with this Princess!

I have to do 20 minutes and it is hard work, but now after a couple of weeks, there's no killing and we're bessie mates;)

After 20 minutes on there, I stagger onto the treadmill as I love walking and set that away for a mile uphill at 3mph (good for my little legs lol). from there it is 10 minutes on the rowing machine - this is to help me get my belly reduced! -I do 10 minutes on there and am hoping to get 2000m on the highest tension setting. I will reach 2km on Thursday!

Finally I do 10 minutes on the exercise bike to again concentrate on the legs/thighs/belly.

That takes care of the hour! - I then go and do another 10 minutes of each before calling it a day.

I like the way all of the exercises (apart from the rowing machine) take into consideration your weight/age and you can choose between cardio, weightloss, strength, fitness etc. to mix-and-match and prevent boredom!

Steve

I ws tempted to declare I actually killed the cross-trainer, but I'd be lying lol

hey
I know what you mean! the cross trainer can be murder! but i actually manage to do an hour on it... once i think i managed 2 hours on it, but that was ages back... dont think il be able to do 2 hours again anytime soon! and then after that i tend to do 1 hour walking or running or both (making it 2 hours) on the threadmill :D

Lol fillymum, I have two of them, so I have a suspicion of the culprit, but can't prove it! I have also had to replace a laptop lead and two hairdryers. They are lucky I love them! :)

Back