Will you miss being overweight?

I think if I didnt decide to work with a coach I would have missed the weight i lost, mainly becuase it was part of my life for as long as i remember!
However my coach taught me to change my focus when I lost my weight from weight loss to health & maintenance. I was also taught to have other goals outside of trying to lose weight so I wasnt completely fixated on it like I was before!
Im not saying my weight will never fluctuate in future but i can say for sure I wont go to the weight i was before and certainly don't miss it anymore!
Hope this helps
Bex x

Hell no!

My body is alarmingly unhealthy and it has sneakily crept up on me!

I'm going to best the beast and get thin and finally look good standing beside my 9st husband!

:D

I want to be slim, but I know part of the reason I'm overweight is because I want to be invisible. I also use bingeing as an excuse to switch off from life. I somehow feel that I have to be perfect at everything if I'm thin, but if I'm fat I've got an excuse to have a messier house, do less work etc.
And being fat is an excuse to be unattractive to men, but what if they don't like me when I'm thin? Then it's actually me they don't want, not just my fat...Bizarre huh?

So I lose a stone or two, then feel a bit vulnerable and put it back on. Until my reasons for losing weight outweigh the reasons I'm holding on to my fat.

I think I feel the balance shifting now. I think I'm beginning to accept me for me, but I guess time will tell.

How revealing for my first post on minimins!!!! I've shocked myself!

Very thought provoking thread!

Totally agree with purplebutterfly about being scared about going into the unknown as being overweight has been part of my whole adult life so far and think that getting into the 11's is my mental block weight hence all the recent self sabotage.

also understand what KD said -think because I won't be 'fat' anymore I'll miss 'acting fat' and stuffing my face because thats what I know.

I think it is a poignant thread, because weight is linked tightly to emotions. Peeling away layers of fat DOES leave us vulnerable. Not only to the opposite sex lol, but losing weight and changing your entire appearance is about as personal as it can get lol.

I have always put the weight back on and not because I've ever 'missed' being overweight but because that's all I've ever known and understood!

I don't think I have ever been at an ideal weight, the lowest I've got to is just under 12 stone (and I remember looking and feeling fab after shifting 5 stone,) but it all felt too good to be true and the fat me was just on standby somewhere else, whispering, 'hey time's almost up, you know this won't last,' and then I started slowly gaining weight again simply because I didn't really know how to be a slimmer woman. I was still wearing a mixmatch of fat and thin clothes. I was almost there physically but not mentally.

i feel that for so long i have defined myself by my weight problems that i do wonder who i will be when thats not there anymore, but then i guess the real works starts in trying to keep it off-i'll have to be content with being someone who used to be over weight and doesnt want to be again!!
I'm sure i will have pigout days on special occaissions but if its just a day here and there that shouldnt be a problem.
I wont miss feeling uncomfortable in my own skin or not being able to find clothes that i like that fit me, and i wont miss feeling self concious wherever i go-i want people to look at me and say "wow look at her" not "wow how fat is she"

I cant wait for the day when Im just a normal slim person - not someone who lost weight recently!

I for one will not miss being fat. Yes it identifies me, but I will look forward to having more confidence - a smile on my face and to go out and not feel the need to make jokes about my weight to my friends just to beat them to it or to make me feel like I blend in, in my own way.

I'm not happy in my skin - but I guess thats the key, you only need to lose it if you don't feel happy in your own skin.

If I was - no way would I ever think about it. Sadly thats a loooong way off, I have one hell of a journey left lol ...

I will definately not miss the weight!!!!
But having never really been slim I wonder all the time what it'll be like?! I think everything will be positive, I think i'd be shocked if I felt or encountered any negetivity once i'm slim...I guess i'll just have to see!
Good luck everyone!

there wont be any negativity...

when you see your self in fitted cloths, looking good...your day will naturally start better...

As I start (again) to get back to my goal weigh (3 stone to go), I know that when I am overweight I have a readymade excuse to get out of doing anything and everything I am too lazy to do! When I am at goal, I expect more of myself, raise my standards and achieve far more. This is good but does feel uncomfortable. I will miss having that excuse.

Also as I get slimmer, I seem to get more attention. This totally freaks me out. I prefer to be the invisible fat girl at the back of the room who is one of the lads!

There are tons of positives too, of course, but a part of me certainly does miss the fat when I lose it. I guess I must miss it as I keep piling it back on!

I think in some way my obesity, self inflicted, must have worked for me in some way. Otherwise why would I have continued being so. Now I just feel socially ostracized and physically too. Chairs I can't fit in. No riding horses, swimming, hiking all things I enjoyed years ago. I will definately miss, in a positive way, the reaction I get being the biggest person in the room.

I won't miss it :) What will I think about? Maintaining my weight and getting fitter :D

Sometimes I think I might miss it, and I suspect that I missed it the last time I lost weight. I started stuffig my face so much that I gained the 5st I'd lost in about a year. I was bored of being stuck on a plateau for two months, and I was bored of dieting in general.

This time I'm more... focussed on the things I want to leave behind. The things I'm sick of, the reasons I want to shift the weight. So that said, here's a little list of things I won't miss :D

Asking for seatbelt extenders on long-haul flights, then being trapped in a tiny seat for twelve hours while my knees are crushed against the back of the seat in front of me because my bottom is so big and my legs so large that while I'm actually only a 33" inside leg, I can't fit in the ample room BA or Virgin give economy passengers.

Being afraid to queue for new rides at theme parks in case I find out after half an hour that I have to abandon ship because I can't fit in the ride's car / restraints. And having to squeeze in then give up and walk away in front of a huge queue of people isn't my idea of fun.

Wearing clothes because they fit, not because I like them. I have spent my whole adult life buying clothes this way, and I'm sick and tired of being unable to dress the way I would like to.

Going shopping with friends and having to stand around while they try on clothes in normal shops for normally-sized people. That gets very old, very quickly.

Spending so much on food. Really. When you eat less, you save a hell of a lot of cash!

Being tired all the time. Having no energy. There's a world out there and I want to be in it, not sleeping 10 hours a day and sleepwalking through the waking hours!

Grr! I will lose it! I will!

Go, Crazybrit!

I dunno I guess this is my attitude shifted the more I learn, when I see someone who is morbidly obese (not directed at you, just generally I mean), I just actually feel sorry for how uncomfortable it must be for them living in that body. I don't scorn them like most people do, I just think wow they must really have emotional problems to mean that they have to rely on food for support like that, and I feel genuine heartfelt sympathy for them. I know that that won't be the case for everyone, and like I said I wasn't directing it at you crazybrit.. I just feel like it's a sort of imprisonment in your own body (and mind, to not be able to deal with it) and I want to help them. Sorry if that comes across as patronizing or whatever, it's not meant to be.

Hi PB

I can relate to what you say. When I see someone as I was I want to tell them it needn't be like that. I do understand how they might feel because that WAS me. Most of the time I didn't think I was unhappy with being big. I just learned t accept it. You do become invisible . It does become a comfort zone. Then it feels uncomfortable when people start to take notice, but then it eventually feels quite pleasant. Are people friendlier with me because I look better - or is it because I am happier and therefore more approachable.
People sometimes used to say to me
"cheer up it may never happen"
No-one has said it since I've lost the weight.
I don't miss it at all.

Sorry if that comes across as patronizing or whatever, it's not meant to be.

Fear not, it doesn't come across as patronising at all. I totally get where you're coming from. In all honesty being in a body this large is something of a prison. Can't wear what you want, too afraid of being lifted by the other half in case he hurts himself, worried about fitting in seats, and constantly feeling hungry.
But hey. Once I've lost it all (and I will. Oh yes, fat, your days are numbered!) I shall go shopping like a crazy person :D

Here's something else I won't miss: The option of either moving the sanitary disposal unit in the loo, or having a buttock rest on it :p

I will not miss being fat.

How much more will i be able to do without it.

Wear a wedding dress (i won't marry him til i lose the fat)
Go in the hotel pool on holiday
Paint my toenails
fasten my buckles on my shoes
cross my legs when seated
use the tray for my drinks on a plane
Walk upstairs and be able to speak once i get there
never worry about fitting in a seat
walk without getting really sore feet
run around the park with the grandkids
feel comfortable in my clothes
walk down the road with my head high and making eye contact with people

Just a few that i am looking forward to.

Back