Wolf's SW Journey to lose 8 stone (2st gone)

Ok, I'm back and hoping like mad this run of bad luck is over!

The last month has been a nightmare. Firstly the loss of my nephew, then I developed an inflammed hip joint. I'm prone to joint inflammation issues anyway and my doctor thinks this one was brought on by going from zero to hundred with my body magic instead of starting slowly and building up. Oops. Anyway this was the most pain I think I've ever experienced and I spent at least two weeks mostly bed ridden and on heavy pain killers. I'm still not a 100%, still slightly "twingey", but it IS a lot better.

In the middle of all that we received a hysterical phone call from my daughter early one morning. Couldn't understand a word she said, only something about a fall. Luckily she lives next door so we rushed over there, expecting a broken leg or something! What we found instead was that one of her dogs (a mad Springer) had been let out for his morning run in the garden and in his bonkers running around had slipped on the decking in front of the house (which is 6ft off the ground - we live in a flood risk area so houses are on stilts) and had skidded, hit his head on the railing and gone through it and over the side, breaking his neck in the process. Daughter was hysterical, OH and I were in tears and it was all such a horrible surreal moment. It was so sudden and unexpected and it still doesn't seem real. :(

Then, because my daughter wasn't coping very well (she'd had that dog from a pup and he was everything to her) we started looking for another dog for her as she needed something to focus on. She ended up getting a beautiful Old English Sheepdog puppy and, because she works, I've been spending most of my time at her house, dog sitting. We're now slowly getting him used to being left so I've now just starting popping in once every hour to let him out and give him some attention. This is better, especially for my diet, as daughter has a house FULL of junk food! :eek:

Over all this time, my weight has been up and down and all over the place. I spent one week living on a couple of pieces of toast a day, then progressing to quick meals like cheese on toast etc. I've not been on plan but I've not been eating takeaway every day either. The worst has been being at my daughters house because if there is junk near me I WILL eat it.

Anyway, weighed back in today and am 0.5 lb under what I was before all this mess, so I'm quite happy with that. I also hit my Club 10.

Weight loss this week: 0.5 lbs

I didn't get a chance to do measurements this week. Will carry on with that again next week.

Here's todays food:

Breakfast:
Smoothie: Oats (half HexB), hazelnuts (half HexB), almond milk (HexA), cocoa powder (1 syn) and banana.

Lunch:
Leftover chicken curry

Dinner:
SW Cowboy Hotpot (3.5 syns)

Snacks:
Fruit, two biscuits (4 syns), herbal tea with honey (2 syns)

Total syns: 10.5

Health issues "seem" to now be over. Fingers crossed. Not been fully on plan the last couple of months but not been eating too badly either. Managed to hold steady, weight-wise, which is good.

Here's yesterdays food:

Breakfast:
Skipped (slept in)

Lunch:
Smoothie: Oats (half HexB), hazelnuts (half HexB), almond milk (HexA), cocoa powder (1 syn) and banana.

Dinner:
Pasta with prawns, mushrooms, spinach & fromage frais (1 syn for oil)

Snacks:
Fruit, herbal tea with honey (2 syns)

Total syns: 4

And here's todays food:

Breakfast:

Lunch:
Fruit salad and glass of milk (2 syns)

Dinner:
Sausages (2.5 syns) and mash with mixed veg and gravy (3 syns)

Snacks:
Fruit

Total syns: 8.5

Sounds like you've got it cracked Wolf. I love the cowboy beans done in the slow cooker... could eat it every day:eat:

Hey all, just to let you know I'm still (mostly) here.

The last few months I have been fighting some ongoing health issues (mostly with my hip). Spending a lot of time in pain has resulted in me mostly having no appetite and feeling blegh all the time. A smoothie and a bit of dinner has been my go-to for weeks now. Wonderful! You might think. Perfect opportunity to drop loads of weight. Except, as we on SW know, eating too little can sometimes be worse than eating too much! The result of that is that I'm solidly maintaining. It's bloody unfair, but there you have it.

Still, I've survived what was, in essence, a gastro tour to Poland (Polish friends were determined that we try EVERY local delicacy!) and family birthdays and have still come out at the end the same weight, so I can't complain really.

It's a vicious circle . . . hip pain = no appetite/not eating/can't exercise = not losing weight = hip pain isn't lessened by weight loss = hip pain returns :banghead:

So, for now, maintaining is the goal, losing is a bonus. :)

Just had a fantastic weekend at the London Film & Comic Con! Off plan due to just grabbing food whenever/wherever possible but, on the up side, I walked around 14k steps a day according to my Fitbit! Even better, my hip was absolutely fine, despite all the walking and standing. I'd packed enough painkillers to drop an elephant and didn't need them even once. Result. Since I've been back I've been trying to keep up some moderate walking every day as my doctor reckons regular exercise is the best thing for my hip (strengthening supportive muscles and stretching tendons). I'm not quite getting to the recommended 10k steps a day but I'm around 6k to 8k so I can slowly build it up.

Got back to empty cupboards and fridge, too exhausted to shop, so the last couple of days have involved some frozen meals, oven chips and bread. Urgh. OH is going shopping tonight so I can get back on plan 100% tomorrow, which will be nice. I actually have my appetite back now too, which helps.

Tomorrow is weighing day. I'm expecting a bit of a gain, even after solidly maintaining for the last 4 months, but I'm rather looking forward to actively going for weight loss instead of maintenance from next week.

Hi Wolf,

just popping by to subscribe.

sorry to hear about your hip problem, I have a knee problem that's aggravated by any exercise and just a little walking so I know how frustrating it can be. I read that weight loss is 90% diet so I'm trying to focus on that and not worry too much about exercise.

x x

Thanks Jenny, and yes joint problems are never fun. At least knowing that weight-loss will help is an extra motivator. :)

Well, weighing day and I've somehow lost 1.5lbs! I'm assuming it was all the walking over the weekend! :D

Menu for today (so far):

Breakfast:
Smoothie: Banana, cocoa (1 syn) and almond milk (HeA)

Lunch:
Omelette

Dinner:
Friday night fakeaway: Homemade beef burger on wholemeal roll (HeB) with spicy wedges and salad (2 syns for marg, 3 syns for mayo, 1 syn for chilli sauce)

Snacks:
Fruit, apple juice (4)

Total syns: 11

Last edited:
Daily walking is going well. I live next to the river so there are lots of scenic walks around, which really helps. I've been aiming for a main walk of around an hour which, because I'm not the fastest walker, is around 6k steps. I figure that the step count will go up as I get fitter and start to walk faster. My FitBit has informed me that my cardio fitness for a woman of my age is "poor". :rolleyes: I'll show you, FitBit! :p

Menu for today (so far):

Breakfast:
Fruit salad

Lunch:
Smoked salmon on wholemeal roll (HeB) with Philidelphia cheese (HeA) and leafy stuffs

Dinner:
Sausages (2.5) and mash, with veg and gravy (2)

Snacks:
Fruit, 2 x coffees (8)

Total syns: 12.5

Last edited:
Today's food:

Breakfast:
Fruit salad

Lunch:
Hard boiled egg on wholemeal roll (HeB) (2 for marg) with leafy stuffs

Dinner:
Salmon, mixed veg and new potatoes with white sauce (need to work out syns for sauce)

Snacks:
Fruit, 1 coffee (4)

Total syns: 6

Weighing day today! :)

Weight loss this week: 4 lbs

Woooo!! :bunnydance:

Following :) I'm aiming to go back on slimming world after my holiday, so am looking for healthy ideas... loving your diary.

Back