Wooster's Veggie RTM

Best tofu ever!! Ok, it's now an obsession...

I marinated it as usual but then decided to bake it to see if I could get it crispy. Worked a treat. I let the tofu go cold and then had it in a salad and it was a lot firmer than usual. The 'omelette' is a distant memory!

Same again tonight and then a trip to Chinatown tomorrow night to get some more supplies.

Hope everyone has had a fun weekend. x

sounds nice wooster :)

I've got a belly full of jelly (for a change ;-) )and off to soak in a bubble bath!

Got the Sunday night off to work tomorrow blues. Bleurgh............

Awwww, I hate those. I saw some fab tofu yesterday, cumin flavour, 5 spice flavour, more smoked (which I love) another japanesey one. The crispy tofu sounds divine, must try it. Have you hit on any crispy seaweed and things? I think, if I recall correctly you go into week 4 soon so can cook veg - woohoo there is sooo much more scope and meals are just gonna rock!!

Jez
xx

Ooh wow - where did you find those?? I had a look at flavoured tofu but the calories were almost double the regular kind.

I was doing cartwheels when I got jelly, so the thought of soups, stews, curries etc from Thursday is making steam come out of my ears with excitement.

I've got my nori sheets all ready to try out sushi and looking forward to that. Any idea when endamame beans or chestnuts are ok to use in the RTM schedule? Thinking of Xmas recipe ideas with the chestnuts. And I just love endamame beans!

I love those beans Wooster - they come at week 7 :)

Kat xx

Great - look forward to having them. Hopefully I can get some nice fresh ones.

Now, do I have the last tub of jelly before I go to bed?...

Well I have just done something interesting with some orange jelly.

I had a chocolate food pack which I wouldn't usually as I am not a fan but my friend needed a soup so we swapped one. I thought I would give it a go - made it up in the Kenwood - YUK! So bland. Had a think what I could add and didn't want coffee so put a small ramekin of made up orange jelly, figured if I zapped it it would mix in ok - it did, it is lovely!

Won't do it again as I won't get chocolate shakes, plus I prefer to eat the jelly rather than drink it but got me through this shake!

Kat xx

Ooh, not a fan of orange with chocolate so might give that one a wide berth!

Just had quorn fillets with WW tomato sauce over them. I usually avoid shop bought sauces but this was ok. Pudding was cottage cheese with blueberries. Lovely.

I came home from work via Chinatown so fully stocked up with Tofu. I got some tofu paper - does anyone know what the heck I'm supposed to do with it?? I also got some rice paper to make some Vietnamese spring rolls but I assume I have to wait until rice week for those.

Also, I've discovered that there is a gym round the corner from work that's only £15 a month and with no contract. Such a bargain so I'm going to join tomorrow and spend my lunchtimes down there. Burn off all those excess cottage cheese calories!

Just had a dig around on Google and I think the Tofu paper is the same as Tofu skin, also known as yuba. Think I'll wait until cooked veg is ok to eat (4 days and counting!) and then wrap some veg in it and maybe steam them. Wow I'm getting adventurous!

its best to test the waters and experiment :)

I'm absolutely knackered. Every evening is spent sorting out food for the next day, gym kit etc. If I do anything in the evenings (kickboxing, tennis, shopping etc) then I've got about half an hour to myself before I need to crash out and inevitably end up going to bed late and therefore even more tired in the morning. I'm supposed to go to my weigh in tonight but I'm going to skive off it and have a night on the sofa instead. I need to do some shopping for the additional items on my list so will do that on the way home and then make up a few soups ready for tomorrow.

I'm enjoying preparing the food and inventing new recipes but it can be incredibly time consuming. Maybe now that soup is on the cards, I can make up quite a few batches and that will make things easier.

Just fancied a whinge!

Only recipe update is quorn mince with WW pasta sauce, tin of tomatoes, BBQ seasoning. Heated up and served with a bit of yoghurt. Very nice and having the leftovers tonight. A bit of progress as previously there would not have been any leftovers!

Off to the gym at lunchtime to burn off some excess cottage cheese calories and try to wake myself up!

wooster everything going okay havent seen you around here for a few days

quorn mince with WW pasta sauce, tin of tomatoes, BBQ seasoning. Heated up and served with a bit of yoghurt.

Hi Wooster - your recipe sounds great and my hubby could eat it as well so is likely to be something I try in week 3 or is it 4 for cooked tomatoes?

Did you make any soup yet? We have made huge amounts here - sweet potato and butternut squach, lentil and tomato, carrot and corriander, etc etc. OH and the kids have been tucking in, but plenty now stocking the freezer for when I can eat it too.

Hope you are getting the me time you need. Life sounds hectic. It can be like that here too.

xx

Hiya, sorry I've been busy wallowing in self pity!

I think because I was so flipping good at abstinence, that any blips I've had on RTM have made me feel like I was throwing all the hard work away. Anyway, I've not put any weight on, and I haven't deviated from the food lists, just portion sizes I think.

The whole planning thing is getting a bit tiresome as, if I forget to take lunch in to work, or are just too busy, then there is no easy option when I'm out and about. I do enjoy the cooking, but just need some more hours in the day. Not to mention a bigger fridge and freezer. Now that I'm at the gym every lunchtime (and loving it!), I can't do my lunchtime trolley dashes. However, I love looking and feeling healthy so I just need to find a way around it.

Right, back to recipes. I've been baking a lot of tofu and then reheating it or using it cold in salads. It almost has a cheshire cheese type consistency when you have it cold. I guess if you crumbled it then could pass for feta? I've baked it in the usual garlic, ginger, lemon combo and also in balsamic. I might try a more herby version and use it for my Xmas day option - sage and onion with a bit of cranberry maybe to be festive?

TI - tonight I'm having a variation on the tomato stew thingy. No WW sauce, but lots of veg in a tomato sauce (garlic, tomatoes, seasoning etc) and maybe some quorn mince for some protein. The BBQ seasoning was lovely. I've got sprouts, leeks, chard, spinach, mushrooms etc, so whatever looks like it's going off the quickest!

Last night I had a soup with broccoli, spinach, onion, ginger, leek, sage and marigold which was very nice. Could do with something starchy in it (sweet potato from Thursday) as I like soups that are more of a puree.

hey wooster good to have you back :) yeah sometimes life does get busy, but its best just to get on with it, i fit in at least 2-3 hours a day of exercise :)
ill make soup one day :) ive just been loving the quorn chicken style pieces was lovely made it like paneer the other day

Ken it makes me worry when you say you do 2-3 hours of exercise a day on 700-900 calories :(:(

Kat xx

hey wooster good to have you back :) yeah sometimes life does get busy, but its best just to get on with it, i fit in at least 2-3 hours a day of exercise :)
ill make soup one day :) ive just been loving the quorn chicken style pieces was lovely made it like paneer the other day

Ken it makes me worry when you say you do 2-3 hours of exercise a day on 700-900 calories :(:(

Kat xx

ill be upping my calorie intake for sure, spoke with my LLC, she said i need at least 1800-2400 calories with the exercise i am doing, but she also recommended protein shake if i can't manage conventional foods, and she also said as i'm lifting weights i might even have to hit the 2700+ mark for calorie intake, so ill def be writing a rough guide of foods ill be eating, but my guess it will be alot of protein ie egg whites, oatmeal, tuna and so on, but you are right KAT about 700-900 being to less.

I am really really pleased to hear that! Glad you contacted your LLC.

That is a huge amount of difference in your calorie intake but it is needed for the volume or exercise you do, the fact you are male and so on. Your muscles will reap the benefits as you will have protein going in and your muscles need that as well as your organs!

I sound like an ole mother hen :)

Kat xx

ill be upping my calorie intake for sure, spoke with my LLC, she said i need at least 1800-2400 calories with the exercise i am doing, but she also recommended protein shake if i can't manage conventional foods, and she also said as i'm lifting weights i might even have to hit the 2700+ mark for calorie intake, so ill def be writing a rough guide of foods ill be eating, but my guess it will be alot of protein ie egg whites, oatmeal, tuna and so on, but you are right KAT about 700-900 being to less.

nah kat your being truthful and i appreciate that, and today i thought i'll contact my llc and see what she had to say, she said if im training with weights for an hour/hour and a half on only 700 calories ill see no change which is true, and plus hour of cardio aswell, so right now im doing an action plan of how im going to eat now :) it will be hard at first, but ill be eating healthy im sure of that, im not throwing this hard work ive put in away so easily

Back