Worried about Slimming Buddy- should I be more supportive?

Discussion in 'Slimming World' started by frankied, 12 March 2011 Social URL.

1. frankied

frankied Silver Member

Start Weight:
    18st0.5lb
    Current Weight:
    10st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    7st1.5lb(39.41%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I met a slimming buddy at the group I go to, but I'm worried that she is 'going to crash and burn'

Every week is loosing 2 to 3lb a week but she's never happy with and always wants more which is unrealistic. For lent she is planning on having no syns until the end of April (a friends birthday do). I'm worried this is so unrealistic. I think she isn't looking at things long term (similar amounts to me to loose). That being so strict she'll fall off the wagon repeatedly and may even end either feeling it's not fast enough or too miserable from being so strict (thats if she manages it) and give up the diet completely (she has done slimming world before)

Have other people tried being so strict and it gone horribly wrong? Or have other people had experiences of being a lot stricter and it working well for them?

Do people think I should encourage her as she does have a goal of another stone by then (which I think is maybe too high). I feel bad for thinking she can't manage it may give up altogether, I feel like I'm not being supportive. I wanted others thoughts and advice as I'm not sure what I should be doing.

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. furrysmudge

furrysmudge Gold Member

Start Weight:
    19st11.5lb
    Current Weight:
    19st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st11.5lb(4.14%)
    Diet:
    Bouncing back to Slimming World
    I don't know what else to say apart from what a difficult position you are in. If she's got it into her head that that is what she wants to do I don't see that you can change it, hopefully it will work for her, if it doesn't at least she will have your shoulder to cry on. xx

Mini likes this.
  4. Pootler

Pootler Full Member

Oh that's a frustrating and uncomfortable position to be in. I think you can tell her all this once. Then it's up to her. If she goes ahead with her no syns plan, that's up to her. If she crashes and burns, let her. We have to learn from our own mistakes. The lesson sinks in better then. But be there to help pick up the pieces when it all falls apart, tell her gently what she might have done differently.

Mini likes this.
  5. angelicwave

angelicwave Member

That's awful for you, you are a good friend and you are doing what's best, being there for her but she is being overly harsh on herself and I can see why you are worried, try and see if you can talk to her, 2 or 3 lbs a week is fab!

day 1 - 15st 7lb joined sw online 9/3/11

6. Clareel

Clareel Gold Member

Start Weight:
    16st7.5lb
    Current Weight:
    14st11.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st10lb(10.37%)
    Diet:
    Healthy Eating/ ADF
    My friend is doing this at the moment, I did try nicely suggesting to her that she should have her 5 syns a day at least (as it is 5-15 syns a day not 0-15!) but she just bit my head off and said I was jealous becasue I'm not losing as fast as her.

So i'm keeping my mouth shut for now and if she does end up falling off the wagon and needing my support, it will be there for her.

Mini likes this.
  7. silly sausage

silly sausage Peas on Earth

Start Weight:
    18st6lb
    Current Weight:
    15st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st13lb(15.89%)
    Diet:
    SW veggie
    If you have zero syns for 40 days then you are not following the plan correctly surely.

I agree with Pootler. Your buddy is an adult and can make her own mistakes. If she is aware of what is requred of the plan and presses on regardless, there is not a lot you can do :(

Mini likes this.
  8. Clareel

Clareel Gold Member

Start Weight:
    16st7.5lb
    Current Weight:
    14st11.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st10lb(10.37%)
    Diet:
    Healthy Eating/ ADF
    Agreed :)

9. Barsi

Barsi Full Member

Start Weight:
    13st4lb
    Current Weight:
    11st2lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Lost(%):
    2st2lb(16.13%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    SW recommend you have daily syns for a reason. The first few weeks of the plan I wasn't "syning" and I wasn't having massive losses (1/2lb a week) and that was down to not having any syns. If shes looking at bigger losses, I find having my syns helps.

Maybe that would be something to talk to her about? Or could you have a confidential word with your consultant about it? x

Mini likes this.
  10. babystar31

babystar31 Gold Member

The way i see it, is that u are completely right in what ur saying, and that you are saying it out of concern.....however we all have to learn from our own mistakes. Nothin you can say or do will change how your friend sees this diet and how she chooses to follow it....but u can be her friend and just be there for her regardless. (which im sure u are anyway xx) xx

Mini likes this.
  11. ColJack

ColJack Gold Member

Start Weight:
    33st5.5lb
    Current Weight:
    19st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    16st9lb
    Lost(%):
    13st8.5lb(40.75%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    it's up to her.. it may not help at all as has been said, or it might help loads.. only time will tell..
    I have about 2 syns a day for gravy, andf it I could find a decent alternative I probably wouldn't have those, and I have had great losses when I stick to it..
    the weekd I do have more syns ( which seems to have been since christmas ), I don't have "great" losses..

12. silly sausage

silly sausage Peas on Earth

Start Weight:
    18st6lb
    Current Weight:
    15st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st13lb(15.89%)
    Diet:
    SW veggie
    Frankied and Clareel - I would be interested to hear how your buddies get on with their zero syn efforts.

*is nosey*

13. Crys

Crys Full Member

Start Weight:
    15st13lb
    Current Weight:
    15st2.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    14st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st10.5lb(4.71%)
    Diet:
    calorie counting
    I agree, she needs to make her own choices and mistakes.

I found last time that I lost more when I had 15 bang on a day, _and_ a sneaky takeaway/treats after weigh in on tues, but I wouldnt try it again!

14. *Emsie*

*Emsie* Gold Member

Diet:
    Slimming World from home
    People don't listen they do it their way as is their prerogative. I have people ask me how on earth I do it (lose the weight) and wonder why they don't then it comes out that they have a chippy takeaway every week after weigh in and lots of other unaccounted for syns over the week etc
    My mum in law who comes with me sometimes cuts down her food so that she can have alcohol even though there isn't any need with SW
    I think most of us always want more looking at your fab losses over the last few weeks you haven't been happy with the smaller losses yourself ;)
    Hopefully when she goes without the syns she will realise what she is missing before she does crash and burn and I think all you can do is be there for her whatever she decides to do :)

Mini likes this.
  15. furrysmudge

furrysmudge Gold Member

Start Weight:
    19st11.5lb
    Current Weight:
    19st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st11.5lb(4.14%)
    Diet:
    Bouncing back to Slimming World
    Um.....after the comment about the jealousy thing....dunno if I would be there, you're obviously a nicer person than me lol. xx

16. Clareel

Clareel Gold Member

Start Weight:
    16st7.5lb
    Current Weight:
    14st11.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st10lb(10.37%)
    Diet:
    Healthy Eating/ ADF
    Haha I was a bit peeved to be fair. Whats more is my losses are a healthy 1-2lb per week so it's not like she even had a good point!

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.