Yam's product adjustment tips

Yambabe

Bad Girl
Thought I'd let you know how I am getting on with the Exante products, and how I have been making some of them "better" for me.

Shakes, I make cold with half a sachet in about 300mls of water in the morning.

For the other half I have it mid-afternoon and experiment. I like chocolate made with hot water (again about 300ml) and one hermesetas sweetener. Vanilla made with a little less water but a big handful of crushed ice. Banana I'm now getting on with cold but like a sprinkle of cinammon on it. Strawberry I haven't found anything interesting to do yet, it's my least favourite so far.

Bars I find a little cardboardy but palatable, so I've not been messing with them. I do however chop them up into about 6 pieces and eat them slowly over about 2 hours. Someone else on here said they had microwaved them and made them a bit more goo-ey and dessert-y but I don't fancy that!

Soups I've tried a few things with and so far the favourite is to chop a couple of fresh parsley & basil leaves into the tomato, add garlic salt to the mushroom and sprinkle either black pepper or a tiny bit of chilli powder into vegetable. I like the thai chicken as it is. :)

Just a few ideas of mine there, I'd love to hear some of yours too.

Everything liquid - I use at least 400ml per soup/shake.

Choc - I have hot with one sweetner
Banana - ditto, but probably doesn't need the sweetner come to think of it.
Strawb - Cold, one sweetner.
Vanilla - attempting to mix it with coffee, but havn't yet managed to get the recipe right yet. It's the only thing in the box that I havn't yet managed to do something palatable with, and may well ask to swap them next month.

Bars - I take them to work for lunch as they're discreet and self-contained, and have them as is. Quite liking the orange ones now. Raisin ones - yep, OK. Don't notice the 'sawdust' quality anymore.

Soups - I generally chuck chilli flakes in when blending, to give them a bit of pep. It's either that or rather a lot of ground black pepper. Bought some tabasco the other day, so will be experimenting with that.

Veg - like. Give it some seasoning though
Shroom - OK, find it a bit... I don't know, all substance but underflavoured?
Tom and basil - took a bit of getting used to (see above), will add tobasco to that one.But am really liking the basil leaves suggestion though :)
Chicken - being a veggie over a decade, am taking a while to get my head round something chicken flavoured. I know it's veggie, and as a chicken flavoured thing it's not unpleasant, but, y'know, it's chicken flavoured, innit? and that would usually ring alarm bells.

It's all *much* better than lipotrim was over a decade ago, though. :)

I have all the shakes hot, with 3, should I be ashamed ?, splenda sweeteners.

I think the way you mix them up with can make a lot of difference to the enjoyment of the product. I have a veritable armoury of whisks in every size and shape imaginable, and a super douper Kenwood frothy drinks maker that heats as it beats as it mixes !! I think the best though is a little hand held battery operated milk frother. It makes a really good mix, is quick, quiet and handy to carry around.
See this link for an example but you can get them everywhere.
Reviews on Aerolatte Milk Frother Look at tests, reports and read reviews: dooyoo.co.uk

I go the other way and make my shakes up with 100ml ice cold water. I aerate it with my Bamix hand blender until its really thick and mousse like, then eat it with a spoon. I occasionally make the vanilla up using half a pack and a spoonful of coffee.
Soups and bars I eat as is.
When I swapped from Avidlite last year I found the shakes bland, the soups fine and the bars like cardboard. Now I'm used to them all I quite like them.
Have tried a few other VLCD and find Exante to be the least objectionable.

I like all the shakes as they are
but the soups are beginning to grate

that thai chicken Miss D- Ew, I agree with you
is well dodgy & repeats like pot noodle

the bars I like

I quite like the 3
I couldn't be trusted with wafers, biscuits etc
I would scoff the lot

repeat after me
Food is fuel, thats all
Food is fuel, thats all

;D

That's useful to know, I was starting to believe that a certain competitor's products were the cat's pyjamas...

.......wanders off to smell the cats PJ's

Trust me my veggie friends, the thai chicken soup tastes nothing like chicken.....:(

Well, yeah, in the same way that the majority of the products don't quite match the description. It's purely psychological.

My product adjustment...? Perhaps a bit gross, but I excavate all the little choc chips from the choc orange bar, wrap them up and save them for an after dinner treat :D the excavation process also stops me from wolfing the bar down...mmm solid fooood.

I am not liking the chocolate shakes at all :( I'm going to order my bumper pack on Monday - does anyone want to trade the 7 chocolate ones? I asked to swap but they said no :(

That's a new one! and why the hell not :)

Actually, that really has made me smile.

I am not liking the chocolate shakes at all :( I'm going to order my bumper pack on Monday - does anyone want to trade the 7 chocolate ones? I asked to swap but they said no :(

I'll swop yer. (If I'm allowed :rolleyes:)

I can tolerate the choc ones, but have issues with vanilla, and some of the soups. (However the bars are mine!) Let me know what grabs you.

Chocolate works better with hot water and sweetener, if ever you're stuck with them..

Hehe, yeah I did wonder if I was breaking any forum rules by offering a trade up! :)

I am quite happy with the rest of the products (I find vanilla ok actually :) ) so whatever you fancy getting rid of you can send my way!

I'll let you know when I've got my next bunch of choc shakes and we can arrange a little trade off? (if we don't get done for it beforehand ;) )

I'd happily trade choc shakes for strawberry ones or tomoato soups, but I'm fairly sure that several people on here have said that although Exante won't change the contents of the bumper pack before they send it out they will swap products once you've got them.

Give 'em a call, you never know.......

I have a product tip for the summer! (Or anytime really!) The shakes can be made into ice cream! I am currently sat eating some vanilla as we speak. I made it the old fashioned way with a bag of ice and salt but I am definitely thinking about getting a ice cream maker after my mini success.

I made half the shake up with between 250 and 300 mls of water (I don't have sweetener when I drink the shakes as for me they're sweet enough, but they definitely need one for ice cream, it's nice as it is but it's just missing the sweetness that ice cream has). Popped it in a little sealed bag and put that it another bigger bag with lots of crushed ice and salt. Just kinda gently shake it about and massage the inner bag for about 10-15mins et voila!

My product adjustment...? Perhaps a bit gross, but I excavate all the little choc chips from the choc orange bar, wrap them up and save them for an after dinner treat :D the excavation process also stops me from wolfing the bar down...mmm solid fooood.
You're not the only one...i savour those little choccy drops!

oooh - I replied to this, where did my post go?

Anyway, it was a reply to Rosie - Making ice cream the old fashioned way - I like your style! :cool:

Last edited:
Haha, anything to keep my hands from raiding the fridge!

Back