Yep...will eat anything you prepare

KD

Gone fishing
Went to visit a relative today. One I haven't seen for ages.

She emailed me before I left to ask what I wanted for lunch. What diet was I on these days.

I just told her that I eat anything (secretly hoping she wasn't going to prepare baked beans, cos I hate them!).

I imagine that she told her husband that I had probably put all my weight back on 'eating anything' and not answering about a diet :D

When I got there, she was surprised to see I was still at goal :clap:

She had a couple of visitors. Both doing SW. Her husband explained how I had lost 8 stone, and they asked what diet.

I told them it was the Cambridge diet, and they both looked surprised. Obviously had heard of it, but didn't know all the facts. No time to explain:(

They told me how much they loved SW :clap: (pleased to hear it), and how they felt they could do it forever.

I wanted to ask why they would want to count syns forever instead of just living slim when they got to goal. Thought I better not though, as again, no time to talk through it. Certainly not knocking SW. A similar conversation could have happened with any person on any dieting plan.

They then asked what diet I did to maintain my weight, so much fun saying I don't diet :D

I should imagine they were very confused. Certainly looked it. After all, aren't I supposed to be on shakes forever. Isn't every dieter supposed to diet for life?

Teehee.

With you on this one! I won't ever diet again, I love the Cambridge Diet to bits and think it did a brilliant job for me but this was always a one way journey as I dieted for 15 years and to be frank I was bored of either being on a diet or looking for the next one.

Went to visit a relative today. One I haven't seen for ages.

She emailed me before I left to ask what I wanted for lunch. What diet was I on these days.

I just told her that I eat anything (secretly hoping she wasn't going to prepare baked beans, cos I hate them!).

I imagine that she told her husband that I had probably put all my weight back on 'eating anything' and not answering about a diet :D

When I got there, she was surprised to see I was still at goal :clap:

She had a couple of visitors. Both doing SW. Her husband explained how I had lost 8 stone, and they asked what diet.

I told them it was the Cambridge diet, and they both looked surprised. Obviously had heard of it, but didn't know all the facts. No time to explain:(

They told me how much they loved SW :clap: (pleased to hear it), and how they felt they could do it forever.

I wanted to ask why they would want to count syns forever instead of just living slim when they got to goal. Thought I better not though, as again, no time to talk through it. Certainly not knocking SW. A similar conversation could have happened with any person on any dieting plan.

They then asked what diet I did to maintain my weight, so much fun saying I don't diet :D

I should imagine they were very confused. Certainly looked it. After all, aren't I supposed to be on shakes forever. Isn't every dieter supposed to diet for life?

Teehee.

Great read KD :D Nice One! :D:D:D

Great read KD :D Nice One! :D:D:D

Thankyou Acey Lacey :)

It's like being a non-smoker in a way. A non-smoker doesn't control their fags. They don't wonder if they will want one, or feel deprived when they can't. They don't worry about how they will 'get through' if it's not immediately available.

I was thinking about that today. Going there, I didn't have to worry that I wouldn't be fed enough. Fill my car with extras, so I wouldn't eat too much there. Worry about getting hungry coming home.

In fact since I had a long journey home, she offered me something to eat before I left. I wasn't hungry though, and said "no" automatically.

I knew that I could probably pick something up on the way home if I couldn't wait. As it was, I was hungry when I got home, but I wasn't scared of the hunger. It felt natural, and I couldn't wait to eat my dinner. I enjoyed it more being hungry:cool:

Neither did I need to eat on my journey. Nor worry about how much I ate there; too much/too little...would they think I was being greedy, or would I eat too little to prove I wasn't.

When I was dieting, I would have either been concerned about my calories/syns/points or whatever...or having an off diet day. Now every day is an off diet day....and even better, there is no guilt or concern attached to it.

Oh...and I love what I eat more than I ever did. Food tastes so much better now :cool:

It's like being a non-smoker in a way. A non-smoker doesn't control their fags. They don't wonder if they will want one, or feel deprived when they can't. They don't worry about how they will 'get through' if it's not immediately available.

Sorry to crash the maintainers forum but I accidentally stumbled across this thread - just had to say that reading the quote above was a real lightbulb moment for me! Thanks!

Sorry to crash the maintainers forum

Oooh, crash all you like!!:cool:

The maintainers forum isn't just for maintainers to read. Just a place for all to talk about maintenance.

Couldn't find a forum that suited the above, as it was to do with weight, but not dieting and I don't have a diary. I really hope it gives hope for people on the journey to goal.

There is life after dieting :)

After all, aren't I supposed to be on shakes forever. Isn't every dieter supposed to diet for life

Well that is the twisted logic or the fear of food that makes a lot suffer when they finish their diet...I admit I still won't eat certain things (fish with batter on, white bread, sweets (although for quick energy before a high intensity workout they can be handy) baked beans, etc) but I never ate those things before I changed my lifestyle...some see me as as fussy eater, yet when I eat out with acquaintances, etc...I seem to be the only one who eats all I put on my plate and doesn't worry about whether to have a pudding or not...I remember this runner from the gym and I going up for seconds and everyone looking at us wide-eyed and someone actually asking if we were going to relieve ourselves in the loo (you know purge)...I thought this was rather cruel, but then, it's that twisted thinking...the runner and I are very very active and we can eat without watching calories I suppose, whereas a lot of women and men still watch calories and freak out on a daily basis over things like nuts, avocado and the like...I'm not making fun of them, I wish I could somehow change their mindset and help them to overcome their fear (which I suspect doesn't help in maintenance in the long run anyway)...but they have to come to this realisation themselves...sorry bit of a ramble, but yeah I no longer diet either, even if people think I am nuts to eat the amount of protein I do...I also like to experiment, which drives my friends and family a bit dilly, but I'm doing ongoing research into weight loss and maintenance (yeah a load of people have already done this) and using myself as the guinea pig, because I think it might just be the direction I want my career to head in (teaching is looking a little less appealing each year)...we'll see...

Big thanks to KD for these and other amazing handy hints and real life tips...

Well that is the twisted logic or the fear of food that makes a lot suffer when they finish their diet...

Tell me about it, and it makes me so mad that there is such poor advice going around.

I have nothing against diets, though must admit that I would prefer people never to have to do them in the first place, but it does give us that diet mentality that's difficult to get out of.

For instance, most traditional diets are low fat as they are based on the volumetrics diet/system. More food for your calories.

That makes some sense in the world of weight reduction. Not necessarily helpful with fat reduction, but then I find most people outside the weight training circle just want to lose weight and assume that means fat....sigh.

Then comes maintenance. Now (going to rant here). We are bombarded with messages about low fat. Trouble is, people take that to extremes. What they mean is lower fat than the typical mcdonalds ;)

We need fat. Healthy fats. It's important, yet people move into maintenance believing that they must continue with low fat alternatives.

I admit I still won't eat certain things (fish with batter on, white bread, sweets (although for quick energy before a high intensity workout they can be handy)

Yes...and now we have the low GI brigade. And yes, knowing GI values are useful, but high GI foods are considered the food of the devil. But there are times when high GI is useful.

.I seem to be the only one who eats all I put on my plate and doesn't worry about whether to have a pudding or not...

Oh, I always have pud :D But people are often surprised to see me eat at all. Anything more than a plate of lettuce and I get that look that says "you'll put it all back on:rolleyes:

I remember this runner from the gym and I going up for seconds and everyone looking at us wide-eyed and someone actually asking if we were going to relieve ourselves in the loo (you know purge)...

OMG, how sad :(

freak out on a daily basis over things like nuts, avocado and the like

I love nuts. Have been 'into' almonds for ages, and now give them a quick roast in the oven (no oil or salt needed). Yum

but they have to come to this realisation themselves..

Know what you mean. I struggle with this as it took me so long to realise that trying to continue in diet mode was destroying me and completely messing up my head, also making maintenance very much harder.

Then comes maintenance. Now (going to rant here). We are bombarded with messages about low fat. Trouble is, people take that to extremes. What they mean is lower fat than the typical mcdonalds ;)

We need fat. Healthy fats. It's important, yet people move into maintenance believing that they must continue with low fat alternatives.

Oh my! I so agree...I had my own little tantrum in my local Morrisons yesterday...I was looking for regular yoghurt, you know made with full cream milk, no fat taken out....guess what? There were not enough varieties (not even varieties as hardly any full fat yoghurts seemed to be stocked full stop) to count on one hand...admittedly there were a few (one or two) smaller pots which weren't much good as I wanted the full 500g pot, the bigun...what happened to normal food? And is this the same in any supermarket now, will we be having to shop for full fat varieties in the local farm shops and the health food shops? Eeeeek! And then....the ones that are full fat are more expensive as they are organic and what not...so I have to pay twice as much to eat normally...less fat and therefore more processed food yet again is cheaper....argh! I turned to an older lady as I shook my head and asked where the heck the full fat yoghurts were and she agreed...bah....rant over...

That makes some sense in the world of weight reduction. Not necessarily helpful with fat reduction, but then I find most people outside the weight training circle just want to lose weight and assume that means fat....sigh.

Yep, weight doesn't equal fat...I have this little convo all the time with some ladies at the gym who are obsessed with not only calorie counting their meals, but on the cardio machines and also with the dreaded scales...they forget about water, glycogen, muscle (which a lot of them seem to be sacrificing in order to be lighter?!)

Anyway I'd better stop ranting and get on with some more research...heh! Back to the gym Monday...

Many thanks for resurrecting this topic Nexangelus.

I was subscribed to this thread as I originally posted on it when I was 3 stone heavier...now that I am going into maintenance neither the timing nor the advice could have been any more perfect for me :D

Some great new points made and much appreciated :)

Congratulations Serena

I agree. I'm on week 8 of RTM with LL.
Interesting points.
This situation of it being socially acceptable for half the female population of this Country to yo yo on and off WW/SW and many other "diets" really winds me up.
If that's okay, why should there be such an opinion amongst those who know little(many of them the same yo yo dieters), is that anyone who does lose all their weight on vlcd will inevitably put it all back on.
I also saw an article which said that 95%
of people who lose weight on any diet will put the weight back on. That worried me.

I shook my head and asked where the heck the full fat yoghurts were and she agreed...bah....rant over...

Yeah, know the problem. I have full fat greek yoghurt almost every day in porridge. Have to buy the big pots :(

This situation of it being socially acceptable for half the female population of this Country to yo yo on and off WW/SW and many other "diets" really winds me up.

Yeah, me too. Strange that it may seem, I sometimes feel a bit of an outcast for not dieting :rolleyes: Perhaps that's my fault for hanging about on dieting forums though :D
If that's okay, why should there be such an opinion amongst those who know little(many of them the same yo yo dieters), is that anyone who does lose all their weight on vlcd will inevitably put it all back on.
I know! Annoys the life out of me.

I also saw an article which said that 95%
of people who lose weight on any diet will put the weight back on. That worried me.
Yes, I've seen those figures, but don't let it worry you. Ya see, it's not like the lottery where you are lucky if you win. You don't have to be rich or even possess a genius IQ. Succeeding doesn't rely on other peoples actions, nor does it just come by luck.

It's not that you have a 95% chance of failing..just that 95/100 do fail because of their own actions.

You get to chose which ever side you want to be on. the 95% or the 5%. Your choice. Cool eh :)

It's not that you have a 95% chance of failing..just that 95/100 do fail because of their own actions.

You get to chose which ever side you want to be on. the 95% or the 5%. Your choice. Cool eh :)

even though my journey not long started I couldn't agree with this more:D

So many get to a weight they want and say sod it (I know I have done in the past!)

5% choice for me, I am glued to this forum for your lovely posts kd:D

KD I am nearing my goal about 10.5lbs away. I am doing an old program of mine and it requires a refeed program to be done when you reach goal. I know where I have gone wrong in the past when reaching goal and the last time I was there (1.5 yrs ago) it was taken away with hives and steriods. I am wondering if you have an opinion about when I should start my maitainence. For me I know if I continue with healthy eating and exercise it stays at bay for me.

Bren
X

Really looking forward to my NON dieting phase....... LIFE THATS IT!

Bren
X

This thread made me think about food quite a lot more... The problem usually I think for people regaining is not realising the underlying problems they have with food in the first place (duh!), but also the misinformation we do get about food. Everything is low-fat, healthy-choice whatever... But what I really want to know is what fats are FINE to eat and what aren't. It should be obvious right? NO to McDonalds and YES to nuts and lean meats. ... but sometimes it's just not so clear cut. ...
Personally when I come off LL for good I don't want to live on diets forever and counting every piece of food I consume and worrying whether it's low-fat or not ... In my year-long journey I think I have worked through many of my over-eating problems and have confronted them. But that's only half the battle. I don't know enough about nutrition and how every one of those different variations of carbs, fats, sugars etc affect our bodies and how they're being used.

Maybe if I understood that first I'd be able to manage things a lot better when it gets to eating freely.

Any suggestions of websites or information sources? :D

I am wondering if you have an opinion about when I should start my maitainence.

Oh, difficult one. Really depends on what your refeed plan is like and how well you keep to it.

If it's a VLCD (which I think it is :confused:) then you shouldn't really go under BMI 25. With Cambridge, we move up to 810 which has added protein, then stay on that to goal. Or some people move up the plans before that, and hopefully get to goal by the time they are on the highest plan.

So much depends on what type of refeed you are doing.

The problem usually I think for people regaining is not realising the underlying problems they have with food in the first place (duh!),

That's the problem. People think the problem is the food, or the weight. In truth, it's neither of those things really, but how we use them.

Everything is low-fat, healthy-choice whatever...
That's another one that gets me 'Healthy Choice". Grrrrr. Look at the ingredients and it's often like the stock list for the ICI chemical factory!

But what I really want to know is what fats are FINE to eat and what aren't. It should be obvious right? NO to McDonalds and YES to nuts and lean meats. ... but sometimes it's just not so clear cut. .
Yes to nuts, lean meats, oily fish, seeds, avocados.

Everything in moderation though. These foods are great, but very energy dense (more cals per gramme) Still should be part of a healthy diet.

Concentrate on unprocessed stuff and you wont go fat wrong.

That's not to say processed foods need to be banned though. Ban something from your diet and you'll want it. Just think about your choices and what you are getting from them :)

That's not to say processed foods need to be banned though. Ban something from your diet and you'll want it. Just think about your choices and what you are getting from them

Agreed, I still have my junk food meal Sundays and I enjoy it!!!

I think alot of people use the word 'diet' to mean you must be losing weight. Doesn't it just describe what food you consume?

Some people actually go on 'fattening' diets, some on slimming diets, others have a diet which is just what they eat every day! Do I make sense?

Think I may have confused myself there lol ;)

I think alot of people use the word 'diet' to mean you must be losing weight. Doesn't it just describe what food you consume?

Yes, you're right. I'm just using the word 'diet' in the way most people refer to it. Some sort of plan that was originally intended for weight reduction. It's easier to say 'diet' than explain what I mean each time :D

Back