Yet another sweetener question!

Cazzie26

Sorry but am new and a bit confused :confused:

I understand that Splenda is the recommended sweetener and we should count each tablet/ sachet as 1 gram of carb. I usually use Hermesetas, which are saccharin based and also allowed, I believe. The nutritional information on them quite clearly states, however, that they contain zero carbs (it is the mini tablets I use). It even states zero carbs per 100gr. I do not see, therefore, why I need to count the carbs in these?! I have been but would prefer not to if I don't have to!
Can anyone help?!

Ummm ... Not sure I'll take a look on the Atkins carb counter and see what it says

I've just logged it into SparkPeople and depending on whether it's the granulated sugar or the pill it ranges from 0g to 0.6g ... So I guess if you have a few portions during the day you're going to have a small amount of cumulative carbs - but it's not much :)

I've just logged it into SparkPeople and depending on whether it's the granulated sugar or the pill it ranges from 0g to 0.6g ... So I guess if you have a few portions during the day you're going to have a small amount of cumulative carbs - but it's not much :)
Yay! That was what I wanted to hear! Thank you!

I use Hermesetas too, but often use Splenda for cooking. Dr Atkins was not keen on artificial sweeteners but he did approve Splenda. The powdered version has half a carb per teaspoonful. Something they use to make the tablet version causes each one to become 1 net carb.

One sweetener to avoid is Aspartame (one well-known brand name is Canderel). Dr Atkins strongly disapproved of this. Many clinical studies have been done, and continue to be done, that say it is not safe. If you search online you will find tons of data on this subject.

But how to avoid aspartame ... It's in so many things! It's banned in the States and I think Europe but for some reason not here in the Uk

Back