yoghurt, cup a soup, weight watchers meal

louisetopham

this is my current diet. it totals to about 500 calories and i have fruit in between and low cal cordial that i mix with water to drink. i have lost about 8lbs in 2 weeks but i feel like the weight loss is slowing down and people have been telling me i could put weight on doing this. any advice is appreciated. cheers x

Sorry Louise, i missed this totally, Im not a dietitian, but my concern would be lack of vitamins and minerals.

A VLCD (very low calorie diet) should be followed under supervision for any amount of time, Im not sure you could sustain something like this for a few weeks, and not sure it would be healthy for you. How much do you want to lose and what bmi are you if you dont mind me asking

Its likely your body will soon go into starvation mode as it isn't getting all it needs on a daily basis, as a result of starvation mode it will hold on to your fat for energy reserves rather than you losing it.

I have been doing my own VLCD since April when my BMI was above 40, I was mostly under 500 calories a day until few weeks ago, now that my BMI is just below 30 I have increased my calories to 700. I ate a lot of lean protein like baked chicken breast and fish, egg whites, canned tuna. The rest of my diet included Crusts Away toast (45 cal each) or matzo crackers (18 cal each), plenty of veggies (aubergine, tomato, leek, lettuce, cabbage, greens), some fruits (strawberries, melon, apple, plum, prune) and an occasional chocolate bar like Breakaway (107 cal). Cup a soup is mostly carbs so the only way I would have that is with some scrambled egg whites in it to increase the protein content. I take an A-Z multivitamin, calcium, and omega oils supplements. I also drink many glasses of water everyday.

well i've been doing this for 4 weeks and lost 21lbs. im eating loads of fruit and feeling good but craving bread and cheese and chocolate at the moment!!!!

You would probably be better on a proper, nutritionally balanced vlcd but if this they way you want to diet then at least take a good daily multi-vitamin tablet and maybe swap the cup a soup for a Slimfast one, as that will be more nutritious.

Last edited:
That's quite an extreme diet...how are you doing now?

Louise, you have just inspired me, I am doing a very similar diet as I want to lose weight fast but can't stand those meal replacement ones.
So far I have lost 5lb in less than a week. After reading your posts I am deffinately going to stick to it.

My concern would be muscle loss. You're almost guranteed to lose muscle on that many calories. One pound of muscle burns 40-60 calories per hour so for every pound you lose you need to have 40-60 calories less when you want to maintain. Therefore if you lose a lot, you will have to be on a LCD for life unless you put muscle back on. BMI doesn't account for amounts of muscle/fat/bones/organs etc so if you lose muscle your BMI will still go down. You'd be better off sticking to 1200-1500 per day and trying to burn 200-500 with exercise.

I really don't mean to preach :( and I understand the desire to lose the weight quickly but it would be better to lose 2lbs of fat per week than 2lbs of fat and 2lbs of muscle.

Good luck if you continue. I hope it works out :)

VLCD and low carb diets are always highly debated, some agree some don't.

provided you watch your vitamins and minerals you should be fine. :) A natural diet of fruit veg, beans and nuts is a great way of getting what you need - I know nuts have high calories but they are high protein and will stop you being hungry.

The 'starvation' side of things is very much a ketosis state and some support it highly some don't.

My personal view is that unless we study food and nutrition we are only going on other peoples opinions.

Good luck if you choose this path.

My personal view is that unless we study food and nutrition we are only going on other peoples opinions.

Yes, but it's preferable to go on opinions of those who have studied food and nutrition, all except for the tiniest minority will say that living on just fruit, veg and nuts would be very unhealthy, especially if it was the only source of nutrition for more than a few days.

Please remember that losing weight doesn't mean it's necessarily healthy.

Yes, but it's preferable to go on opinions of those who have studied food and nutrition, all except for the tiniest minority will say that living on just fruit, veg and nuts would be very unhealthy, especially if it was the only source of nutrition for more than a few days.

Please remember that losing weight doesn't mean it's necessarily healthy.
It's got to be healthier than stuffing 5 bags of crisps,a packet of biscuits and four cakes down your throat though. I've done that a fair few times :eek:

It's got to be healthier than stuffing 5 bags of crisps,a packet of biscuits and four cakes down your throat though. I've done that a fair few times :eek:

May or may not be. Lots of Vit C in crisps :D

But anyway, throwing yourself into a wall is preferable than jumping off a skyscraper. Doesn't mean it's something we ought to do though.

There are so many decent diets around. Nobody should feel the need to make up an unhealthy one just to be slim.

defo take some vitamins, and a omega tab as well. if your worried
go over it with your gp.
good luck and well done so far xx

I totally agree- Yes according to a nutritionist perhaps these diets are not the 'ideal' but any Doctor will advise you that the health issues of being even just a stone overweight are huge!

I recently saw my doctor about some issues, and he advised me that they were all caused by being overweight (I am 13st roughly). When I asked what he felt I should do he simply advised me to 'try and not eat'. He said there is no miricle cure, you should just try and not eat until you are lighter!!! I thought this was a bit silly, but the principle is right.

As long as you take a vitamin supplement, your body will cope with missing some elements of a balanced diet, and will thank you when your not lugging around 3st extra fat!

I have previously done Lipotrim, LighterLife and Cambridge Plans (all sucessfully but short lived results). I am not in a position to afford this at the moment so I am attempting a home-made version.

As long as you are sensible, and listen to your body (eg. If you feel fient- drink! If you feel ill then eat something sensible) then you are only doing good by loosing weight. I personally would rather be slightly low on certain nutrients, than continue suffering with health problems from being overweight, end up diabetic (my sugar abuse was causing me probs and diabetes runs in my family), heart disease as I was too heavy to excersise properly, and cholestral issues.

This is only my opinion, but I think its just great that we are all here trying to do something about our weight problems.

Good luck everyone!

I totally agree- Yes according to a nutritionist perhaps these diets are not the 'ideal' but any Doctor will advise you that the health issues of being even just a stone overweight are huge!

I recently saw my doctor about some issues, and he advised me that they were all caused by being overweight (I am 13st roughly). When I asked what he felt I should do he simply advised me to 'try and not eat'. He said there is no miricle cure, you should just try and not eat until you are lighter!!! I thought this was a bit silly, but the principle is right.

As long as you take a vitamin supplement, your body will cope with missing some elements of a balanced diet, and will thank you when your not lugging around 3st extra fat!

I have previously done Lipotrim, LighterLife and Cambridge Plans (all sucessfully but short lived results). I am not in a position to afford this at the moment so I am attempting a home-made version.

As long as you are sensible, and listen to your body (eg. If you feel fient- drink! If you feel ill then eat something sensible) then you are only doing good by loosing weight. I personally would rather be slightly low on certain nutrients, than continue suffering with health problems from being overweight, end up diabetic (my sugar abuse was causing me probs and diabetes runs in my family), heart disease as I was too heavy to excersise properly, and cholestral issues.

This is only my opinion, but I think its just great that we are all here trying to do something about our weight problems.

Good luck everyone!

You make some good points but also remember you need a certain amount of macronutrients as well as micronutrients.

We need enough protein to avoid muscle breakdown, complex carbs to funcion properly, healthy fats for a healthy heart and skin and fibre for a healthy digestive system.

If you can get enough macros and micros then the weight can come off faster than average but make sure you have all of the bases covered :)

Vegans cope very well on fruit, veg and nuts..
You can get all but one vitamin from a vegan or vegetarian diet. Despite peoples thoughts you don't NEED a lot of other factors in our diet (milk, meat etc). There is one vitamin in meat that we do need which is B12 - can be found in vitamins, which is why I suggested she is careful with vitamins and minerals.

Dr's will argue with each other about VLCD's.. atkins, CD etc not all dr's like them.. the same can be said about diet pills and even surgery..

The key is to find what suits us, but stay as healthy as possible. Last time I did CD I lost hair.. that shows it's not 'that' healthy but in fairness it's the better of two evils for me personally. This time by doing SS+ I hope to avoid hair loss.

Back