Yoghurts... AGAIN (sorry!)

KidA

As I've read the forums, it appears that the only Muller Lights allowed are the toffee and vanilla ones.

But I'm sitting here looking at a rhubarb one, and there is barely more carb content than a toffee one.

Rhubarb: carbs - 7.9g
of which sugars - 7.3g
sugars naturally occurring from fruit and milk - 4.4g

Toffee: carbs - 7.9g
of which sugars 7.1g
sugars naturally from milk - 4.3g

Vanilla: carbs - 7.3g
of which sugars - 6.8g
sugars naturally from milk - 4.4g

So while vanilla is obviously the lowest, rhubarb has overall the same carbs as toffee. So why isn't it allowed? Or are there other factors to weigh in?

Rhubarbs are my faves, so it would be good to know!!

It bewilders me- but I won't even eat vanilla and toffee because they contain sugar.

It's quite simple really:

The rule is NO FRUIT (and no sugar), and not in yoghurts either, especially no 'bits'. Not in fruit 'squash', not in sugar-free sweets etc etc.

That there might be *some* flavoured yoghurts that have been passed as 'okay' is a bonus - no idea how *they* decided on those. If you think you need to have fruit yoghurts to keep on the straight and narrow then you are allowed 2 a day (or one Muller) as an 'Extra' - max 2 extras per day, and not in attack, and drop them if you find the weight not coming off as hoped.

It's up to you.

Oh and PS: Rhubarb is technically a Veg so you are allowed to eat it on PV days anyway.

KidA - not all "sugars" are equal.
The sugar in fruit is fructose, which creates a faster, higher insulin surge in the body, and gets converted into glycogen and fat very very quickly. This is why there is so much concern about "High Fructose Corn Syrup" in sodas, ready meals etc.

Other sugars - like the lactose in milk products, aren't digested quite as quickly, and don't cause same the insulin peak.

As Anja says, rhubarb is allowed on the diet, and we are in the middle of the rhubarb season in the UK - so why not buy some, bake it with a little splenda, and then stir it into your zero-fat yogurt?

As soon as I hit cruise (Saturday) I plan to stew up some rhubarb with water and sweetener (if needed) and then put some oatbran on top and put in the oven for a bit to make a dukan rhubarb crumble! Can not wait!

KidA - not all "sugars" are equal.
The sugar in fruit is fructose, which creates a faster, higher insulin surge in the body, and gets converted into glycogen and fat very very quickly.

OK, this makes sense, now.

All those rhubarb ideas sound wonderful, especially the crumble.

... And Squash

It's quite simple really:

The rule is NO FRUIT (and no sugar), and not in yoghurts either, especially no 'bits'. Not in fruit 'squash', not in sugar-free sweets etc etc.

OH NO! I've been drinking water flavoured with a bit of squash (hardly enough to be a drink, but just to make my water flavoured - like a tbsp for 500ml water bottle). I just figured that was okay as its so low-calorie (using the no-added sugar Robinson's Squash).

Please don't tell me I must forgo that! I stopped drinking Diet Pepsi & Fanta Zero as I'm trying to stay away from carbonation as I think it allows you to eat more and also whets the sweet tooth appetite. Am I now resigned to just water??

Squash isn't allowed because of the fruit.

However as I see it you have been losing beautifully so not really any need to change what you are doing in my opinion.

- just something to think about cutting out if you start to stall.

Oh I love Rhubarb, and as soon as Attack is finished this will be on my list.

In a thread somewhere from someone on coaching (or mum on coaching?) SF squash has been added to their shopping list on the official site.
So if youre not stalling (or extra hungry) dont worry.

I love the rhubarb 'crumble' with from frais, mmmmmm.

Hijacking KidA's thread again as I just couldn't bear to start yet another yogurt thread - sorry!

I think I understand most of the above but def still a bit bewildered. Just had an idea to make non-fat plain yogurt, splenda and bit of orange and vanilla essence and stick in freezer (orange creamsicle... not sure you get those in UK). Anywho, I go and check the carbs/sugar on the my non-fat PLAIN yogurt and lo-and-behold... its even MORE than the toffee/vanilla/etc. (10g per 100g - that's carb and all of which are listed as sugar?)

I know I'm missing something and trying to figure out how to actually read labels when it comes to sugars... if I was in shop, I would automatically dismiss this yogurt - why are we allowed (even encouraged) to eat?

Sorry for being a daftie...

Anywho, I go and check the carbs/sugar on the my non-fat PLAIN yogurt and lo-and-behold... its even MORE than the toffee/vanilla/etc. (10g per 100g - that's carb and all of which are listed as sugar?)..

All dairy products naturally have sugars in them - Lactose, or Milk sugars. You can't avoid them. Meat and chicken also has sugar - it's what creates that lovely brown stickiness when you roast them!

But Lactose is digested far more slowly than the other common sugars (Sucrose aka table sugar, Fructose aka Fruit sugar), doesn't cause a huge spike in insulin in the blood, and is much less likely to be converted into energy stores (aka fat!) in your body.

That said - 10%, or 10gs per 100 does seem very high for a plain yogurt (Total zero-fat yogurt has only 4) - so there may be added sugar lurking in there (check the ingredients!)

And if that sugar is Fructose, Glucose or Sucrose - throw that yogurt out!

I love it when Atropos gets technical...

I know all the rules in two languages... she knows the wherefores and whyfores!

I love it when Atropos gets technical...

LOL! I'm the only non-scientist in the family; my sisters are surgeons, psychiatrists, quantum physicists - I'm the dozy, dreamy one who dropped out of maths and chemistry and did art and drama instead.

(But I am the only one who can wire a plug, so some of it must have rubbed off)

... That said - 10%, or 10gs per 100 does seem very high for a plain yogurt (Total zero-fat yogurt has only 4) - so there may be added sugar lurking in there (check the ingredients!)

And if that sugar is Fructose, Glucose or Sucrose - throw that yogurt out!

Okay, I was getting nervous! Did a check though and funny enough it said "no added sugars. The only sugars are naturally occuring lactose sugars."

I do have two different brands (1x Be Good To Yourself Sainsbury's non-fat... that's 10g culprit and also another regular brand and that one is just below 8g.) Will stick with the latter obviously and that's what I just used to make a frozen creamsicle... hope it works!

I couldn't find frozen rhubarb locally, so picked up a rhubarb muller - it looks like it's a no then even though it's a veg?

Back