Your tips for new starters - all diets

Lou1973

Silver Member
I think with everyone on this site we must have a wealth of experience to be able to share with people just starting out on their weight loss journey.

What would your tips be for a new starter?

Here are mine:
1) set mini goals and reward yourself when you hit them - a facial, a massage, that book you've been wanting to read, getting your hair done etc
2) Write out why you are doing this and return to it during moments of struggle - keep to the positives and avoid the negatives eg i don't want to be fat is not a positive focus for your mind but I want to be healthy to run around the park with the kids is
3) If you are on a food plan that allows points/ syns etc use them if you crave something, have it but just a little - you have a long journey ahead and it's important you don't feel deprived
4) View exercise as a positive thing not something you have to drag yourself to - find something you enjoy - who doesn't love a session on a Wii?
5) Write a list of goals for 2009 but don't make them all (or even any) weight focused eg learning a new skill and commit to reviewing it at the end of the year
6) prepare yourself for lots of positive strokes from people (the best feeling in the world) but don't allow them to derail your plan (eg chatterbox saying everyone says I look so much better so perhaps i don't have to focus quite so hard)
7) Plan for the unintentioned sabateours (or even the jealous intentioned ones) (oh go on - one wont hurt you/ you've lost loads of weight you don't need to lose anymore). How will you cope in these situations and turn them into positives?
8) If you always do what you've always done you will always get what you always got - look at why you have struggled in the past and plan for why this time will be different. Have you been trying a particular diet on and off for months losing and putting on the same half a stone - if so it's not working - try a different diet or identify why this time is different
9) If you are focussing on a particular date eg wedding day, holiday next year, family get together what will you do after that date? Find a new focus before the day arrives
10) enjoy the journey - it's the best thing you will ever do for yourself

I think that pretty much says it all Lou.

Perhaps, prepare for maint, don't start thinking you can eat like you used too, that's what got you fat in the first place isn't it. :)

that's a really good point Jim - I'm one of many that have got to goal and blown it by not doing maintenance properly

Thank you. That kind of advice is really helpful. I'm in week 5 of slimming!

Last edited:
I can't imagine what I'd do if I put it all on again Lou, That's why I'm so obsessive about maintaining really. This time of year I usually go on strict Atkins to loose a bit from posted weight to prepare for the festive gluttony. :)

I can't imagine what I'd do if I put it all on again Lou, That's why I'm so obsessive about maintaining really. This time of year I usually go on strict Atkins to loose a bit from posted weight to prepare for the festive gluttony. :)

I think that's a great idea - much better than thinking "I'll shift it in jan", struggling to do that and gradually the weight going on - I'll take that as a good tip for my future - lose the weight before the event and only allow myself to put on what I have lost not to go over goal and think i'll get it off at another time

Congratulations by the way on your amazing weight loss (and keeping it off) - an inspiration

hi, havent been here for a while, i havent got to goal yet but its not urgent, its not for health reasons, the best things ive learnt is not to deny yourself, everything in moderation, but dont over step the mark by eating too much, its best not to get back in to old habbits!
also Ive learnt to keep on going with the excersise. I am having a problem maintaining.

Lou said:
Congratulations by the way on your amazing weight loss (and keeping it off) - an inspiration

Thanks Lou, praise like that makes me even happier and more determined to stick to it. :)

Georgie said:

I am having a problem maintaining.

I don't think you are alone there, I have met so many people who have done really well on different diets, but then put it all back on again. I think it must be a mind set or something.

those are really helpful pointers
definately found them useful :D

Back