1/3 rd super free food

Martha39

I know you have to have 1/3rd super free food with each meal on EE. Do you also have to have 1/3rd superfree on green and red as well. I thought i heard my consultant say this but wasn't quite sure. If thats the case I can't have egg, chips and beans any more?
Does anyone know for definate

No the one thrid is for extra easy only. No mention of it in any of the literature for 2010 for other 2 plans. Make sure you are still having losts of superfree fruit and veg though xxx

To be honest, if you're losing weight doing what you're doing now - then keep doing the same. I prefer green days, love egg, chips and beans and jacket potatoes with beans and healthy extra cheese. I never fill my plates with 1/3 superfree food and still losing weight.

Em x

Could you not have some homemade SF veggie soup as a starter?
Would that still be classed as 1/3rd superfree? Or am I missing the point?

I cant imagine not having my veg lol I am a vegaholic. So doing the third is really easy for me. I steam most of my veg or roast it, with a little balsamic vinegar and squirt frylite and garlic salt...yummy... If I dont have veg I feel like I missed out on something lol Even my kids complain if they have too much junk food, they miss their veg lol Its good for ya init xx

Could you not have some homemade SF veggie soup as a starter?
Would that still be classed as 1/3rd superfree? Or am I missing the point?
The idea of putting the third on your plate is so you cannot physically eat too much of the other bits eg meat, pasta potatoes, rice etc. Even if you have seconds one third should still be superfree veg

To be honest I don't strictly stick to the 1/3 SF on plate and I only do EE, it makes no difference to my weight losses. Sometimes it doesn't work right like spab bol for instance, I wouldn't add veg with it and breakfast time it may just be cereal so no SF there either! Just me anyway some people are more strict but I have lost 30lb in 16wks including Xmas/New Year when I came of plan and gained 7lb lol! oops! So must be doing something right!!!!

Ooops, maybe that's why my losses are relatively small. Some of my meals have tonnes of superfree but most wouldn't have a 1/3 of the plate, but i do finish every meal with fruit. Does that count?

To be honest I don't strictly stick to the 1/3 SF on plate and I only do EE, it makes no difference to my weight losses. Sometimes it doesn't work right like spab bol for instance, I wouldn't add veg with it and breakfast time it may just be cereal so no SF there either! Just me anyway some people are more strict but I have lost 30lb in 16wks including Xmas/New Year when I came of plan and gained 7lb lol! oops! So must be doing something right!!!!

I add bolognese to my onions, mushrooms, finely sliced celery, diced carrots and a diced courgette (skin removed) all superfree and the veg you would find in an Italian chunky veg sauce (just like my Italian granny makes ). I also add this to my chilli con carne and add veg to my currys. I got the recipes in the recipe section ;)

So in a way you can get your third!

Ooops, maybe that's why my losses are relatively small. Some of my meals have tonnes of superfree but most wouldn't have a 1/3 of the plate, but i do finish every meal with fruit. Does that count?
Unless you put the fruit on the plate so less room is left for the carbs and protein , it wouldn't work. It's not so much about getting your 5 a day but more about controlling the size of your portions of other food. If you had a whole plate of say potatoes and steak you would eat far more calories than if you had the same plate but with a third of it covered in mow calorie vegetables. the vegetables would also fill you up so you would be more unlikely to go for seconds.

Hmm, I am averaging 2lbs a week.

I think I'll start including salads and stuff with my mains like Spag and chilli, but since I can't stand cooked tomatoes or mushrooms with a "fry-up" I might just give up on Saturday bacon and eggs.

Thanks!

Yeah, that could work! :D

Best go buy some lettuce! :)

Unless you put the fruit on the plate so less room is left for the carbs and protein , it wouldn't work. It's not so much about getting your 5 a day but more about controlling the size of your portions of other food. If you had a whole plate of say potatoes and steak you would eat far more calories than if you had the same plate but with a third of it covered in mow calorie vegetables. the vegetables would also fill you up so you would be more unlikely to go for seconds.

Surely if you have a smaller portion it's ok? I serve smaller portions, so I have plenty of space for fruit afterwards. I usually have 1/3 superfree on my plate though tbh.

I wouldn't worry for one meal. I read a comment from SW on their website in relation to a post by someone about the fish, chips and peas recipe on the website. The person asked about the third superfree, SW said that it is not always possible to make a meal with a third superfree and that sometimes it just doesn't work with a meal. They went on to say that as long as most meals have a third superfree and that you have superfree as your snacks, then it won't hurt too much.

Have your bacon and eggs hun! I may be strange, but I often have rocket with my bacon and eggs, I love poached eggs on rocket :)

Also what is confusing is a lot of the slimming world recipes for extra easy both on their website and in their book do not show on the plate a 1/3rd superfree food.

Like for eg with their bolognese recipe and their chilli recipe the superfree veg is IN the food not to the side of the food.

Just out of interest I read the food optimising book, and the superfree veg seems to be more about nutrition and getting your five a day, and filling up on your five a day, therefore not needing so much carbs. Thats how I am reading it anyway.

Also it states in several places that the 1/3rd should be 'on the plate' So not necessarily as a serving separate to the dish, but can be part of the dish as long as it is still a third of the overall meal. I guess we can all read it differently though. But to me food optimising in essence is about a nutritional balance. However I do use SW guidelines for portions on my carbs which is half of what I used to eat before! :)

Last edited:
Silvermaneuk, that is right you can bulk out any meal like shepherds pie, spag bol,curry etc with the veg mixed in. what they are saying is that you should eat it with the meal so you get full up quicker xx

I don't really like vegs unless they are covered up (like in a puree), so I mostly have this to get my 1/3 superfree foods before a meal and then just make sure I have 1/3 protein, 1/3 carbs for the rest of the meal.

Back