10 or 15 syns a day?

JAYJAY33

My last question sorry! Does everyone stick to having a max daily allowance of 5/10/ or 15? Our slimming world consultant recommends everyone has 10 and only have 15 if your doing loads of exercise? 10 of your average and 5 if your in the house all day long every day? Is this the norm?

Thanks alot

Kate

I think most people start at 15 and drop down as they lose weight, some have 15 right up to target. If you start low then there's nothing for you to cut down on a bad week... :) x

I have a lot of weight to lose so I try to eat all of my Syns, if not daily then they usually add up to 105 (15x7) at the end of the week, as I tend to eat more syns at the weekend.

Thats fine then, some days i go over by half a syn and have 10.5 so just wanted to check this wouldnt make too much difference with the book saying your allowed up to 15 anyway. I have around 4 stone to lose anyway so i like the point about reducing your syns as your weight lowers. Thanks!!

Mine has told me to have 20 as I have so much to lose, and she also encourages people to have as many of their syns as they want.

And yet you don't have any more to lose than I did and I worked to 10 a day :)

I would say between 5 and 15, and if you can have 15 a day and continue to lose weight at an acceptable rate then why not! Do what works for you :)

Thats fine then, some days i go over by half a syn and have 10.5 so just wanted to check this wouldnt make too much difference with the book saying your allowed up to 15 anyway. I have around 4 stone to lose anyway so i like the point about reducing your syns as your weight lowers. Thanks!!

You have the same to lose as me (more or less!) I started at 15syns, I use about 12/13 now and will probably use 10minimum every day. I found that when I used 5syns I actually lost less than when I used 15!! Crazy eh!? Xx

Just looked at your details and we have the same target, with 5lb difference in starting weight (mine 208 in 2009, started again now at 185), so tbh i'd start with 15 :) x

I have an excell spreadsheet with the total syns allowed for 1 week (15 x 7) & I deduct what I use each day, which is usually 3.5 for a small glass of wine. However at the weekend I use the remainder for large glasses of wine & chocs :p My weight loss has been slow, but I don't mind it means I can still enjoy my weekends & lose weight.

Try using 10 syns a day keeping a log of your progress & try 15 syns per day, again keeping a log of your progress & see which works best for you.

I have 5 - 10 per day, I try to stick at 5 then I know I have some in reserve if I need a fix at the weekend - when I first started SW though I always had my 10 per day

I joined last week, and was told to aim for 15 syns per week. That way, I could pull back on syns when and if my weight loss slowed down.

Some days though, I'm using the full 15, and others not.
:)

I have always found that if i stick to a least 10 a day my losses are better! Some days i use the full 15!! Thats what they are there for, so use them! xx

This has been an interesting thread, last year when I was at sw my leader told me to only use 10 (I have 3 stone to loose) and I always stuck to that and my weight loss was quite slow, so I might try starting with 15 for a couple of weeks and see how I go...

Thanks

Gail x

I have always stuck to 15, some days a little more and some less. It did not slow down my weight loss. At the moment I am doing at least 15 but no more than 20, and I will see how my WI goes this week.

I don't know why she would say this! SW say you can have 5-15 syns a day regardless of how much you have to lose and I've never heard the "have extra if you exercise" bit before. In fact this contradicts the info on SW's site which says you don't get "bonus" syns for exercising and this is what your consultant is saying.

5 - 15 but never any lower than 5. I've always had my 15 and rarely go below 10. I only ever dropped my syns when approaching target.

I do my best to make sure I don't go over the 15 (only done it once, whoops!), but normally aim for ten to twelve.

I also find that if I don't eat minimum of ten it hampers my weight loss.

Just logged back on, sorry for not replying sooner to everyone. It is interesting to read that people who are having 15 actually have better losses than those who have lower. I wonder if its anything to do with feeling you are not depriving yourself too much. I try and have a curly wurly everyday so i dont feel i am losing out too much. Some days i have not had enough syns and have nearly given it all up as couldnt have the curly wurly or what i wanted. I know a curly wurly isnt much but its something nice at the end of the day so i think i will just aim for between 10 and 15. The other syns usually go on pasta n sauce, low fat marg etc so if i know every day i can have a curly wurly without feeling guilty for having 10.5 syns instead of 10 that is likely to really help me. Its weigh in tonight so fingers crossed! thanks again for all replies, made very interesting reading indeed!!

Back