1st Week on GI .. Menu, can someone have a goose please? :)

summergurl

♥3 Years Maintaining♥
Here's my first weeks menu.
I have the book called The GI Diet by Rick Gallop and i've used the foods set out within phase 1.

Hope i've done it right.

Week Menu
Tuesday 17th August

B- All bran & Skimmed milk.

L- 1 slice 100% wholemeal bread topped with lettuce and dry fried mushrooms & onion mixed through with cottage cheese.

D- Baked chicken breast with salad of lettuce, cucumber, tomatoe, red pepper, onion.

S- Apple. Strawberries. Peach.

Wednesday 18th August

B- 2 egg omelette with ham.

L- Mixed bean salad.

D- Baked salmon, broccoli & cauliflower.

S- Apple, Strawberries. Peach.

Thursday 19th August

B- All bran & Skimmed milk.

L- Mixed vegetable cupa soup with 1 slice 100% wholemeal bread.

D- Mixed bean salad.

S- Apple. Peach. LF Yog.

Friday 20th August

B- 2 egg omlette & ham.

L- 1 slice 100% wholemeal bread topped with dry fried mushrooms & onions mixed with cottage cheese.

D- Grilled pork chop, broccoli & cauliflower.

S- Apple. Peach. Carrot sticks & lf hummous.

Saturday 21st August

B- 1 slice 100% wholemeal bread toasted with 1 rasher grilled bacon and dry fried mushrooms.

L- Ham salad with lf mayo. LF yog.

D- Diced turkey breast & green lentil curry – made with tinned toms, tom puree, garlic and curry powder.

S- Apple. Peach. Carrot sticks with LF hummous.

Sunday 22nd August

B- 2 egg omlette & ham.

L- 1 slice 100% wholemeal bread topped with salad & cottage cheese.

D- Diced turkey breast & green lentil curry – same as Saturday.

S- Peach. LF Yog. Cucumber sticks with lf hummous.

Not much action on this forum. I don't understand it as so many people are following a GI or GL diet of one kind or another. Maybe you will spark a bit of interest on here.
Not much to add to add what I've said in the PM and the LT forum.
Try having fish maybe instead of the pork. Pork is quite rich.
Try just having a straighforward lentil or mixed bean curry.
Do you ever eat porridge? I did not like it but now I have nothing else. I have 40g porridge that has some dried fruit in it. I make it on water and add water to cool it down . NO MILK!! So used to it now and prefer it. A quarter tsp of cinnamonover it is lovely as well.

Looks very good but the point of Low GI is that you shouldn't be hungry. On the amount of food you are eating, I would be hungry. How is it working for you?

IT is the combination of foods that should help stop the hunger. Foods that peak the blood sugars will leave you feeling hungry sooner. adding a desseert spoon of mixed seeds to a bowl of chopped plums improves the GL rating thus making it a healthy treat.
It does take a week or two to adjust.
also in the first weeks you should have no alcohol!!

Thanks guys. There isnt much action around here is there! :sigh: Just me and you kiddo! :giggle:

I think i have to go through this week to see how im going to feel on it. But like you say molly if its the type of foods that keep you hungry i should be ok. I have taken ideas from the book i have - like the open sandwich ideas. I may change the pork but i might see how i feel on that day.

Im also considering now not having the open sandwiches and scrapping bread. It just bloats me - any ideas of what to have instead?

Don't much fancy a bed of lettuce with mushrooms! :giggle: Thinking there needs to be some sort of substance there iykwim!

Im planning on spacing my snacks out too and making sure i do have them. Quite looking forward to my peach - havnt had one for aaages!

Tanya, this is where I find quinoa very handy. I often take a portion of this and add some lemon juice and balsmaic vinegar and pepper to it or add a dessert spoon of sweet chilli sauce for a kick. Mix it up and have on the side like couscous.
Using quinoa in salads means I need no bread and it beefs up the salad.
I make up a few portions at a time. Don't use the flakes as they cook to a porridge like consistency. Use whole quinoa and to 100g dry weight add twice its volume of water and boil for about ten mins. Start with less water if you are unsure of the amount and keep a kettle on the boil to top it up. Check it at ten mins, if it has used up all the water add a little more. It is cooked when you start to see white strands. Set it to one side to cool. This will make three portions for a salad or two portions to add to a main meal or stirfry.
The snacks are important to keep your blood sugars nice and even. Be sure to keep your water levels up. 80% of the time we feel hungry it is water our bodies are looking for. Drink two to three litres throughout the day. I have a rule, a litre before 11.00, another by 3.00 and another by 8.00. set a rule for your day too.

Thanks molly you have been a fantastic help! :D I really appreciate it!

Just about to have my breakfast. Going to have the bread and mushrooms and have my cereal later on as im real busy this evening so it'd be quicker to have bran flakes and fruit in/just before work rather than now.

I am a little confused about milk - you say no milk but the book i have says skimmed milk is ok during phase 1?

The no milk is a personal choice for me. I tend to like too much of it iykwim! I liked my porridge or cereal with about half a pint! For me having the porridge with a very little dried fruit and cinnamon tastes just lovely.
don't get worked up about the rights and wrongs of it for now. Just try cutting well back on carb rich foods but do substitute with healthier choices or you will feel hungry all the time. Healthier choices will be rye crackers, oatcakes, beans, lentils and quinoa. reduce red meat too if you can and opt for white meat like turkey and have fish a couple of times a week.

I very rarely eat red meat anyways.

I'm ok with milk as I don't like it that much cuz of the taste it leaves in my mouth so I only have just enough on cereal.

I have 100% stoneground wholemeal bread which is allowed but only 1 slice. I won't have it every day.

I'm just trying to get my head around it all :giggle:

Knowing your determination, you will figure it out and make it suit your lifestyle. If you can do that then it will become a way of life for you. You are not one to do things by half.

I hope so Molly thanks :) xxx

Hiya

Firstly bloody well done on the loss you have had to date. You look stunning. Its amazing how weight loss changes your whole face. Well done to you. You look so beautiful.

You have good willpower so you can do this diet no sweat.

How you finding it?
x

Am finding it ok. Its hard not to think of it as a diet but its all the foods i do love and enjoy to eat which why on monday i couldnt understand why i felt like i was restricting myself!

I will be ok once i can get my head around it all! :giggle:

Back