2 months away from home - how to limit the damage?

miss_miffi

Hi all,

I have been following SW for nearly 5 months and have lost nearly 3 stone which I am thrilled with - so far I have found the plan really easy to follow and fit into my lifestyle. The problem is, due to moving to a new country, I am going to be basically homeless and living out of a suitcase until the end of August. We'll be travelling a lot and won't have access to a kitchen so need to rely on restaurant food.

I'm really looking forward to holidays and travelling, and of course I plan to enjoy myself, but I don't want to undo all my hard work! Does anyone have any little tricks or tips on things I could do to limit the damage?

All I can suggest really is to try and ask at the restaurants you eat at if they are able to cook things with less or no oil, dressings on the side etc, Choose the most sw friendly things on the menu and if they are willing to accommodate your requests you should be able to limit some of the damage.
If at all possible buy some fruit to snack on between meals if you need it and try and stick to the rules you've learnt on sw such as the 1/3 superfree, boiled potatoes instead of chips, no butter on sandwiches etc.
Sounds like a great adventure though and hope you have a great time! X

Not want you want to hear but I put on more than a stone whilst recently travelling in Asia for 6 months and the reason I am on here. The first 2 were fine whilst we had a kitchen but the others were where the problems started - intentions are good but things slide when you are having a good time - meeting new people, going for a meal then you will just have one drink which turns into 3. In busy restaurants the staff don't have time to discuss the menu and then the chefs get things wrong as they are used to cooking a certain meal a set way.
Depends where you are going but we found we could buy lots of salads,fruit and cooked veg in shopping centres and just have those to limit the damage but the temptation is to just eat what is there.
Good luck and enjoy your travelling. By the way where are you going - just being nosey :)

p.s. - do as much walking as you can - it does help.

Oh no, we'll be in South-East Asia most of the time - I am worried I won't be able to resist fried noodles and the like. Or dumplings. And so much of the stuff is cooked in peanut oil, etc. I am hoping to be able to take advantage of lots of fresh fruit and veg, and just do some Body Magic every day to counteract it...

Where are we going to...well, it's almost a question of where are we not going to! We're based in Brazil now so having a short trip to Cuba (as you do) and then head with all our bags and baggage to our new base in Hong Kong - leave everything there - then head to the Philippines, Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand. I don't start work until late August so have no place to call home until then...oh drat, we will just have to travel :)

Oh no, we'll be in South-East Asia most of the time - I am worried I won't be able to resist fried noodles and the like. Or dumplings. And so much of the stuff is cooked in peanut oil, etc. I am hoping to be able to take advantage of lots of fresh fruit and veg, and just do some Body Magic every day to counteract it...

Where are we going to...well, it's almost a question of where are we not going to! We're based in Brazil now so having a short trip to Cuba (as you do) and then head with all our bags and baggage to our new base in Hong Kong - leave everything there - then head to the Philippines, Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand. I don't start work until late August so have no place to call home until then...oh drat, we will just have to travel :)

We did Australia - India - Thailand - Cambodia and Vietnam which took us 6 months. The food is so good the temptations are there all the time especially when someone else is doing the cooking. But hey ho have a good time and you know that you can take off whatever you do put on - have a good time and just do as much damage limitation as you can :) My avatar is a picture taken in Terminal 21 shopping centre in Bangkok - not to be missed if you go there.

Back