2 pounds away from 4st... is this loose skin or just fat?

shineykat

Hi everyone I was just wondering if I could share my experience and possibly gain some advice
I've lost nearly 4 stone by Slimming World and exercising regularly (and often intensely) to tone muscle and whilst I am quite toned and less than a stone away from my UGW I still have an overhang (small, but noticeable) on my lower belly and what I think is loose skin around my thighs.
My stomach especially, for me, has been the worst aspect of being an overweight teen and I dreamt of the day that it would be flat.
Formerly 15 stone 3, I am currently a UK size 12, 11 stone 5, and 5 foot 9 and have a bmi well in the healthy range. Whilst I don't look "fat" any more I still have this belly which makes me think it might be loose skin that will need surgical help. Obviously I won't know for sure until I shed the last 12 pounds but my mind has been dwelling on it for a long time.
Many people have assured me that because I am young (19) my skin should bounce back, I'm happy to have stretchmarks because they are my battle scars but the possible loose skin is really ruining my body image and worrying me. All I ever dreamed about was wearing bikinis and tank tops alongside my slim friends.
Has anyone had any similar experiences, anyone close to my age, or know anyone whose been in a similar boat? I'm planning to visit my doctor after the next 7lb loss if it hasn't gotten any flatter/toned to ask for his professional opinion. But right now I thought this was the best place to come.
Thank you x

Hi shineykat

I'm sorry about your loose skin. I have it too. Sometimes it takes up to a year after weight loss for it to go. While you still have a little belly you may find that another few pounds will make a huge difference on it. I hope it does, it's amazing how a little bit of skin affects our confidence.

If you are looking into surgery they often recommend you have maintained for several months to be sure you actually do need surgery.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Hi shineykat

I'm sorry about your loose skin. I have it too. Sometimes it takes up to a year after weight loss for it to go. While you still have a little belly you may find that another few pounds will make a huge difference on it. I hope it does, it's amazing how a little bit of skin affects our confidence.

If you are looking into surgery they often recommend you have maintained for several months to be sure you actually do need surgery.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

thanks, it's comforting to know someone else feels the same and I am hoping that the next 10 pounds will see a dramatic improvement in my thighs/stomach- especially as above the waist I am told I look very slim- my arms are slimmer than a lot of my size 10 friends.
It's just the bits below my bellybutton that are getting me down. Hopefully it will sort itself out over time- I'm using bio oil and moisturising regularly also but I'm not sure if this will help?

Hi there, as you are only 19, I think you have a much better chance of your skin toning up than someone in their 30s or 40s. If you can maintain your weightloss, and get used to doing some daily abdominal exercises, I really think it will improve. You will have much better elastin in your skin than us older ladies who have been pregnant a few times and maybe gained and lost weight several times over the years. You could always try a toning belt like slendertone if you don't see an improvement in 6 months or so, best of luck and well done for addressing your weight issues at such a young age :)

I agree with all that's been said. Although some people seem to have skin that shrink wraps with them, it can take a year for skin to settle into your new shape - even in a young person like you. I'm sure you will notice an improvement on losing the last few pounds but I think you are right in going to the doctor for advice once you get close to goal. You may have to go back a few times to convince him/her you are serious because sometimes doctors don't realise just how badly self esteem can be hurt, especially as he/she probably will think you look great. It's not their tummy though so if you are not happy keep pushing until you get something done, especially if a year into maintaining you are still upset about it. This has come out a bit rambly - I hope you can work out what I mean lol!!!!

Well done on your loss!
I think your doctor will probably tell you to give it time and see what happens.
I think alot is down to genes when it comes to how your skin reacts.
i'm 40 and when I was pregnant I didnt get one stretch mark - the midwives said it was pretty much down to genes rather than age how your skin goes, but time is what I would give myself if I were you - main thing is you're healthy now inside, and anythiing outside can be fixed. Enjoy your slimness xxxx

Thank you for all your kind responses :)

rowanx2 I've been thinking along the genes line too. My mother has always had a flabby pooch to her belly even before she got pregnant. She thinks I may be more suseptible to it due to genes but equally, she reasoned, I do far more exercise than she's ever done so maybe in time I can improve it?

Since my original post I've lost 3 pounds and have noticed a slight reduction in it but the skin is also getting slightly wrinklier so I'm really not sure what way it's going to go :S I think some of it is definitely flab but who knows what the skin is going to be like.
M and M we do have a slendertone belt, think I'm going to start using it again and see if I can see any results.

The good news is my mum has said she would be happy to pay for surgery if it comes to it as a reward for working so hard. I'm going to look into less invasive procedures as I don't think I would really need a full tummy tuck. Fingers crossed. :confused:

Well Done!

Firstly, well done for your exceptional achievement! I was wondering how it was going - have you met your target? I bet you look amazing.
I felt the need to reply - to congratulate you - as I feel that our journeys are quite similar. I'm also at slimming world, have recently turned 20 and had 4 stone to lose (1 + 1/2 down 2 + 1/2 to go) and i'm also worried about loose skin (although mines still full of fat) as I carry the majority of my weight around my abdomen. I was basically wondering if yours had gone or whether you'd gotten the surgery?

Hope you're well! xxx

I'd recommend buying some bio oil and spending 5 minutes a day thoroughly massaging it into the areas where the skin has still not tightened back. Also make sure youre properly hydrated daily as your skin will need this to help the natural processes x

Congrats!

I am very worried about having loose skin. I use bio-oil at the moment. If it turns out I do have loose skin I won't be able to afford surgery so I'll just have to accept it :)

Back