5 years later... let's do this thing!

Following your journey!
Similar diet history (hell) and also macro tracking so might nab some tips and tricks - really struggle with not having anything ‘off limits’
Best of luck! You're making great progress so far :)

Birthday was great! Foodwise... taste-wise amazing, ate a lot but didn't eat to burst which made a difference to previous years, and limited myself on the (so so tasty) cake. Then later that evening when watching TV with my mum she brought out a bag of crisps and put it between us... I didn't even realise I was eating the crisps half the time, mindless eating is a danger! Had a wonderful day and even had leftovers from the restaurant, so those'll go toward my lunches for tomorrow and Thursday. My boyfriend's coming on Friday so need to work out what we'll eat then and if I can avoid regaining weight if at all possible. This is one of the problems I've found with diets, great when I'm on my own but they take a turn when I'm with other people. I need to work on this, can't be a loner forever / depend on being alone and then overeat with friends and family, social life doesn't work that way.

This evening after work Mum had helpfully cooked! After eating about half of the plate I felt full, I should've stopped at that point but instead kept going until the plate was clean. Why do I feel the compulsion to do this, damnit, I need to control myself better when the food is in front of me. Shall try harder next time.

Hi there,
I’ve got a similar story to yourself altho mine was 7 years ago! And I was following the dukan diet I lost a lot of weight, really think this site helped me to hold my self accountable for my actions. I swore I’d never put the weight back on, but here I am 7 years later back to where I started, well infact I was 1lb heavier than when I began last time 🙄.
Anyways hi there! Sorry sometimes I get carried away and just ramble on blah blah 😂 I’ve just enjoyed reading your diary and I’m looking forward to continuing to follow your progress on your journey!

Had a sneaky mid-week weigh-in, haven't gained weight so I consider that a plus given it's birthday and Mum-visit season.

Hi there,
I’ve got a similar story to yourself altho mine was 7 years ago! And I was following the dukan diet I lost a lot of weight, really think this site helped me to hold my self accountable for my actions. I swore I’d never put the weight back on, but here I am 7 years later back to where I started, well infact I was 1lb heavier than when I began last time 🙄.
Anyways hi there! Sorry sometimes I get carried away and just ramble on blah blah 😂 I’ve just enjoyed reading your diary and I’m looking forward to continuing to follow your progress on your journey!
Hi there! Life has a way of making it so we put the weight back on doesn't it :/ But not this time, you've got this!

Am exhausted and not feeling like cooking or eating at all, so having a toasted sandwich and a bit of birthday cake. I'll get back on macro plan after the weekend, my boyfriend's coming over from abroad tomorrow morning and we plan to eat out a couple of times. Shall try to not lose control though and to stop when I'm not hungry.

Weighed in at home and am at exactly the same weight as this time last week. For a birthday week with meals out and cake this is pretty damn good for me. Went for my monthly weigh-in at the nurse and it came out 0.8kg higher, interesting, then again at home I wear considerably fewer clothes when I weigh myself! Next appointment's scheduled for the day after my anniversary, two weeks after Christmas, the nurse expects the same weight loss but I'm not convinced I can keep this up over the holiday period. Back on plan today though so going back in the right direction.

Last edited:
I ran out of leftovers for the rest of the week so I made double food yesterday (not what I'd fancied having for lunch but hey), only to be told this morning that I'm not needed at work this afternoon. Oh the joys of freelancing. So I'm wondering if I should follow original plan of breakfasting before morning work and having my leftovers lunch there, or coming home after work (an hour's journey) and cooking something. Tomorrow's afternoon work has also been cancelled (I had more notice though) so that was going to be my plan tomorrow. Going to be a bit light on protein macros because haven't defrosted the chicken, but within calories. Protein-ing up without overdoing the fats and carbs is hard.

Weirdly enough macros worked out when I had a carby snack for lunch (Christmas market tempted me) and a very fishy dinner. Not a clue how the maths works but not going to question it.

Came home from work early so had a late lunch/early dinner, then later in the evening had a fruit snack to make up calories even though macros are a bit short. Home all day tomorrow because of a bank holiday so I'll organise my meals better. I need to use up food in the freezer anyway to make room for Christmas foods!

Yesterday studied all day and didn't cook... had to remind myself to eat which is a very rare thing. Today a friend's coming to stay for a few days, overslept so had brunch and have been cleaning since. Starting to feel hungry again and she won't be here for another two hours at the very least, debating having an omelette to tide me over.
Later: had a snack, then a calorie-rich veggie and lentil pasta bake dinner. So almost certainly out of macros, didn't measure before cooking, but it was delicious. She brought chocolates as a gift so we each had one, nice-ish but not really worth it. Oh well. I'll keep trying to balance macro-ing with enjoying the holiday season.

Last edited:
Yesterday studied all day and didn't cook... had to remind myself to eat which is a very rare thing. Today a friend's coming to stay for a few days, overslept so had brunch and have been cleaning since. Starting to feel hungry again and she won't be here for another two hours at the very least, debating having an omelette to tide me over.
Later: had a snack, then a calorie-rich veggie and lentil pasta bake dinner. So almost certainly out of macros, didn't measure before cooking, but it was delicious. She brought chocolates as a gift so we each had one, nice-ish but not really worth it. Oh well. I'll keep trying to balance macro-ing with enjoying the holiday season.
I feel your pain I’ve lost a stone now so I don’t want to loose all the hard work I’ve put in, but it is Christmas 🎄 and so many tempting things to eat! To be fair the smell of Christmas foods is a big part of the whole Christmas thing maybe that’s why I don’t feel so festive this year ☹️But im determined to get through these next few weeks unscathed, wish me luck as I do you x

Whoa congrats on the loss of a stone, that's amazing! Best of luck with the holiday season, we've got this! But we can still enjoy ourselves a little bit :p

Had some muesli and banana with my friend for breakfast, felt nice to share company with her. She's spending the day in town while I stay home studying so had a lentil-tuna-pepper-tomato broth for hot lunch (didn't macro it but tried to not go overboard with the lentils or tomato) and a piece of cake just now. Not sure what we'll do for dinner, whether we'll eat at home or head out to the local food court, but almost certainly overcalorie-ing. Tomorrow I'm out all day at an escape room event in another city, really looking forward to that, so going to have normal breakfast here, lunch out there with the escape room group, and probably home for dinner with my friend. Semi-back on plan on Tuesday and Wednesday, my friend'll be here but I'll do my normal breakfast and lunch at work and save cals for dinner with her.

The escape room was awesome! Ate out for lunch, and in the evening went out with my friend and another mutual friend for Indian. Tasty but dreading the scales tomorrow morning...

So... the weigh-in wasn't great. I sneakily weighed myself three days ago and was well on track, today my weight's gone back up to what it was last week. However this morning I could feel my hipbones (slightly) for the first time in a while, and my shoulder blade feels more pronounced. I also feel like throwing up from too much food yesterday... which is very unusual for me, usually after a day of overeating I've just felt more hungry. Am I becoming normal???

Still felt unwell from overeating yesterday, had a small empanada brunch but wasn't really feeling it. Went out this evening with the friend who's staying and a mutual friend for General Tso, first time trying that, extremely filling and I ended up leaving half of it. So maybe weight's not been helped by eating out, but being able to leave a plate unfinished for me is an achievement.

Yesterday had normal breakfast, didn't have time to prepare lunch so I ended up eating out at the restaurant where I meet my third client (we usually just order soft drinks, it's informal so on occasion one of us has ordered food). Came home and had larger-than-usual pasta meal. Must not let myself get back into bad habits. On the plus side I'm a jeans size down from when I started macro-ing in October and my pyjamas now fit better than before, maybe I should change my goal to maintain rather than lose over Christmas. Tomorrow my boyfriend's coming over and the season of going out for meals with his friends and family begins, I'll try to be good at home to compensate.

Back