63stone teen cut from house, stranded in bed

Itll be interesting to see what if anything happens next. I have to admit I think its just a matter of time before the papers are reporting that 'Britains Biggest Teen' has died :(

I hope not. I haven't seen the news today have they said what's happened? Ie how she came to be taken in?

3106Catherine said:
The thing is this girl was on tv and in the papers. Did no one keep tabs on things when she went home? Her gp? Social services?

I agree her parents may have known no better themselves. I believe in the good in ppl and would hope they weren't pushing her to an early grave but surely society, someone, should have known this was happening?

People very well might but you can't force help on someone who doesn't want to be helped. For all we know her GP could be round weekly same as social services but if she - as an adult - refuses help there's a limit to what they can do

Just read she was a registered carer for her mum

Starlight said:
People very well might but you can't force help on someone who doesn't want to be helped. For all we know her GP could be round weekly same as social services but if she - as an adult - refuses help there's a limit to what they can do

I agree but I thought someone said she had asked to stay at fat camp instead of being sent home? Sounds like she wanted the help. It's just a very very sad state of affairs

I think at this point everything we are discussing is just open speculation. There is no confirmation that she weighs as much as 63 stone, or 56 stone, depending on which report you read, only that they had to take her home apart to get her out, so all we can conclude is that she was pretty dangerously ill and too big to move herself. If either of those figures are accurate, then she is either nearly 800 or nearly 900lb in weight. I cant imagine being in that situation and feeling anything other than entirely hopeless and out of control of your own life. Yes, she could theoretically have said "no" to the food she was given, but at that point, she must have pretty much not had anything in the way of a will to live anyway - she would have been merely existing rather than doing anything remotely resembling living.

What we, as a society, should be asking ourselves is WHY this has been allowed to happen. At 15, she became the nations freak-show of choice for a short period of time - enough to make anyone reclusive and want to hide away from the world. If I was her Mother, I would have been banging the GPs door down BEGGING him to do something to get her out of the house and to some medical help. When she was capable, she was begging for the help herself - but she never quite made it to where she wanted to be, so gave up. I do actually think, had she been given the chance to get to where she wanted to be, things could be very different now, she would have experienced a feeling of pride in herself, a sense of achievement, and that she had cracked it. She never got that. Too easy to slide back into old ways when you feel like a failure anyway.

I wonder what extreme diet it was..

And for my tuppence-worth, I feel sad that the media will "use" her as a freak story, a shock story to scare people...

I agree with so much that has been said here on both sides of the coin. None of us have any idea of what really went on in that house but I do know that if I had come home from boot camp bubbling over with enthusiasm for my success ( I saw her on T.V. on her return,) and my mother offered me fish and chips it would have been like a slap in the face, a total put down, a belittling of my huge achievement. It would have made me feel my weight loss and myself were pretty worthless.
My mum had an enormous influence on my life and the direction it went in, both my parents in fact were important in the making of the adult I became. Why should it have been any different for Georgia.

I am inclined to agree with Starlight that her chances of survival are very slim. At that weight the pressure on her chest must make normal breathing very, very difficult.

I hope I am wrong and that she does survive and perhaps loses the weight she needs to lose to live a normal, active life.

I guess because Anorexia is considered a mental illness - there are procedures that can be followed that prevent the anorexic from causing further harm to themselves. Compulsive overeating is not viewed in the same way, which is a travesty. I know the conditions vary, but they are both potentially fatal conditions - and should therefore be given the same levels of support when someone suffers from them.

It must add up to abuse if it is in fact the parents that are feeding the child.

If it was a minor could it be considered to be abuse.?

A child here, a child of under 10 years old was taken into care and the parents prosecuted for abuse because the child was so grossly overweight.

Personally I think that could have been more damaging to the child if the care arrangement was long term and can only hope that the parents were educated in the right dietary needs for their small child.

How do they know she's 63 stone? Has someone in her family said this or is it just sensationalism by the tabloids?
Although she must be extremely overweight if they've pretty much had to take the house apart to get her out, I find it hard to believe she's that big.

Binge eating disorder has a classification in the DSM iv ( diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders) There is a big review underway for the next edition which is looking into other food related disorders including "feeding" particularly with regards to children. A bit late for the poor Kid we are talking about. :(

I guess because Anorexia is considered a mental illness - there are procedures that can be followed that prevent the anorexic from causing further harm to themselves. Compulsive overeating is not viewed in the same way, which is a travesty. I know the conditions vary, but they are both potentially fatal conditions - and should therefore be given the same levels of support when someone suffers from them.

good post

like many others i was really shocked to read about this girl and hope that she manages to make a turnaround and change her life, but massive changes will have to be made, re-education for her and her family, and a strictly controlled exercise and diet programme
i wish her well, there is no way she should be in this state
she is an adult and needs to also take some responsibility over her lifestyle in future

When I worked as a physioI saw alot of people like this. Sat inside playing on the computer all day, eating high fat food, getting so big they got mobility scooters, one even used it to go to the toilet! They cost the nhs a fortune. District nurse visits because they go diabetic, get ulcers, skin folds get infected and have to be dressed. Physios to "mobilise" them, which believe me is a nightmare. One demanded a gastric band as it would"solve" his problems. After he had a stroke (he was in his 30's) he had one. The first time I visited him afterwards he was eating a sausage roll! Funnily enough the gastric band "didn't work"! I went past his house the other week, he was on his computer and looks bigger than ever. Some people just can't be helped. Yes this girl has social issues, but she didn't learn anything from her spell in America, and hasn't co-operated with medical intervention.

Back