a 'b' question peeps

ronniejacobs

Gold Member
hi guys i am changing what i am having for brekkie as its soooo cold ;) at the moment. having 28g of instant hot oat cereal (morrisons) says in book is a healthy extra but also says you should have a scan bran with it. dont have them and dont like them so do i add more g of oats?

I think they say add scan bran because of the fibre content in quick oats is not as high as regular porridge, I have porridge on some days and for speed in the morning, I weigh it and measure my milk the night before and put the bowl in the fridge - then in the morning 2 -3 mins in the microwave and you have almost instant porridge with more fibre x

I agree with Sandra, if you had more porridge it would take the calorie content higher for the same amount of fibre in porridge + scan bran. Why not go for proper oats, it takes only 10 minutes to cook. I use the Waitrose brand with added wheatbran.

Last edited:
I use Scotts Old Fashioned oats and they take just over three minutes in the microwave.

That's not much more time than "instant" oats, and a lot cheaper.

The scan bran increases the fibre content in the porridge to make it a B choice. Without it there is not enough to qualify as a B choice.
I never have the scan though - naughty girl!!

The scan bran increases the fibre content in the porridge to make it a B choice. Without it there is not enough to qualify as a B choice.
I never have the scan though - naughty girl!!
there are lots of B choices without any fibre eg olive oil,fish & cheese. I think it is more about making sure you are full up so you don't snack in between.

Back