A Catalogue of Indian Recipes (Bhuna, Jalfrezi, Balti, Madras, Korma and many more)

Hi Kay,

I made the madras! It is LOVELY! Here's a couple of pics (I did some celeriac chips with it to up the superfree a little)

View attachment 87210

View attachment 87211
Stacey, OMG ! You superstar ! Job well done, looks better than mine, brilliant ! Glad you were able to order the curry leaves in the end, it gives madras its true flavour. I hope you enjoy making some of the other recipes on this thread. I will be putting up some new ones by tomorrow hopefully. Keep checking in, and any requests, do let me know and I will do my best to post them up. Happy cooking ! :) Kay xx

I'v got the madras bubblin away on the stove at the mo! Hope it looks as nice as yer's when it's done! lol! I'l try 2 post a pic if I can take 1 wifout Hubby eattin it 1st! :)
Hi :) , great ! Would love to see the pics and hear the feedback from your OH. I will be posting some new recipes very soon. Keep popping in to see the lastest updates. Happy cooking ! Kay xx

33) Keema Rice

(minced beef with rice)
(33) Keema Rice.jpg (click on pic to enlarge)

Serves 4

Syn Free on EE and (Green using Quorn Mince)

Ingredients

2 cups of rice
4 cups of water
500g Mince Beef
1 large onion finely chopped
1 tbsp ex v olive oil (HEb choice)
6/7 dried curry leaves
1 tbsp finely chopped ginger
1 tbsp finely chopped garlic
1 large tomato finely chopped
spices
1 small cinnamon stick
½ tsp cumin seeds
½ tsp whole black peppercorns
½ tsp coriander powder
½ tsp turmeric powder
½ tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp salt(to taste)
1 green chilli finely chopped

Fresh coriander finely chopped to garnish

Method

Wash rinse and soak 2 cups of rice and set aside in a bowl. In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil on medium heat, add the finely chopped onion, fry for a few minutes until light golden brown, now add in the garlic, ginger and curry leaves, stir and mix well for 2-3 minutes until onions have browned more, now add the tomato, stir and mix for 1 minute, now add in all the spices , stir and mix well for a few seconds.

Now add in the mince beef stir and mix well. Keep stirring and cook on medium heat with lid off for approx 7 minutes. Now slowly add in 4 cups of water. Now add in the drained rice ( 2 cups) . Stir and mix everything well together. Now on medium heat allow the water to come to boil for approx 10 minutes. Once the water has dried up, lower the heat and cover the lid and allow to simmer for 15 minutes. Now turn off the heat and garnish with fresh coriander. Your Keema Rice is ready to be served.

Enjoy !! :) xx

Last edited:
34) Spicy Nimbu Rice

(Lemon Rice)
(34) Nimbu Rice.jpg (click on pic to enlarge)

Serves 4

Syn Free on EE and Green.

Ingredients

4 cups cooked boiled basmati rice
1 level tbsp mixed nuts chopped (HEb choice)
1 tbsp chana daal (lentil)
1 tbsp urad daal (lentil)
Salt to taste
6 dried curry leaves
1 inch cube ginger, cut into fine slices
1 green chilli finely sliced
½ tsp Asafoetida (also known as hing)
25 ml lemon juice
1 tbsp ex v olive oil (HEb choice)
½ tsp mustard seeds
½ tsp cumin seeds
3 or 4 dried red chillies (broken in 2)
½ tsp turmeric powder

Method

Set the cooked rice aside in a bowl until later. Heat the olive oil in a non stick frying pan on medium heat, add dried red chillies, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, chana daal, mixed nuts. Stir and cook everything for a minute until the daal changes colour to a light brown. Now add the urad daal, stir and cook for a further minute. Now add the chopped ginger and green chillies. Stir and cook for another minute. Now add the turmeric powder, curry leaves, keep stiring, now add in the lemon juice, and asafoetida powder, add salt to taste, stir the mixture well together. Now add the cooked rice, stir and mix well until everything is combined together. Turn off the heat. Chop some fresh coriander to garnish. Serve with a nice chilled Raita dip.

Enjoy !! :) xx

Last edited:
Well this is a labour of love - well done. :clap::clap::clap:

I am vegetarian and cook lot of curries, especially South Indian Vegetarian and having spent lots of time in India are used to eating spicy food, maybe 4 times a week and recognise many of your recipes.
This was a brilliant idea to put them on here and I hope you have lots of good feed back - you deserve it for doing this.

P.S. how do you syn Tamarind Paste? I don't usually bother as it is basically a fruit but wondered what you did?

30) Beef Tikka
Serves 4

Ingredients

1 kg beef cubed
2 tbs unripe papaya (ground)
½ tsp ginger paste
½ tsp garlic paste
2 tbs fat free yogurt
1 tsp red chilli powder
Frylight
lemon juice

Method

In a bowl, mix together all the spices, yogurt and papaya. Now add the beef cubes and coat. Set aside in fridge and leave to marinate for 5-6 hours, preferably overnight. Soak some wooden skewers for 30 mins before use. Thread the beef through the skewers. Heat a gridle pan and spray with frylight, place the skewers on top, heat through turning sides until cooked. Squeeze some lemon juice on top. Serve on a plate with salad and Raita .

Enjoy !! :)

Hi Kay, great recipes on here - I have tried a few and they came out great - big success in this house - Thank you

Just wanted to ask - what cut of beef do you use for the Tikka - I was assuming steak as it cooks fairly quick ???

P.S. how do you syn Tamarind Paste? I don't usually bother as it is basically a fruit but wondered what you did?

Hiya, glad your loving the thread :) and thanks for all your feedback. In answer to your question, 1 level tablespoon of tamarind sauce = 1 syn, due to the added sugar in the sauce. Hope this helps. Kay xx

Hi Kay, great recipes on here - I have tried a few and they came out great - big success in this house - Thank you

Just wanted to ask - what cut of beef do you use for the Tikka - I was assuming steak as it cooks fairly quick ???
Hi, glad your liking the thread. Yes diced lean beef steak works perfectly for this recipe :). Would love to see some pics ! Kay xx

For those of you that missed it ! Kay xx :)
11) Chicken Tikka Masala
(11) Chicken Tikka Masala.jpg (click on pic to enlarge)

Serves 4

Syn Free on EE and (Green using Quorn Chicken) / Red 1.5 syns per serving)

Ingredients

500g boneless chicken (cut into cubes)
1 tomato cubed
1 onion cubed
1 red bell pepper cubed
1 green chilli diced
2 tomatoes chopped
1 cup fatfree yogurt
Chopped coriander leaves
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp. gingergarlic paste
1 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp turmeric
1 tsp fenugreek leaves
1 stick cinnamom
3-4 cloves
3-4 green cardamoms
Pinch of mace
3-4 bayleaves
12 chopped cashew nuts (EE, heb choice / Green heb choice / Red 5 syns)
1 tsp salt(to taste)
Lime juice
1 large finely chopped onion
1 tbsp ex v olive oil (HE b choice)
frylight

Method

Wash the chicken and cut into cube size pieces and set aside. In a blender add the 2 large chopped tomatoes, 12 chopped cashew nuts and blend together.

Marination
Now in a bowl add turmeric, chilli powder, coriander powder, 1 tsp ginger garlic paste, ½ tsp fenugreek leaves, 1 cup fat free yogurt, squeeze half lime, ½ tsp salt, mix all the ingredients together. Take half the marination and in a separate bowl coat the vegetables (cubed onion, tomato, bellpeppers). Use the other half of the marination to coat the chicken.

Soak some wooden skewers for 30 mins to avoid burning when ready for use. Prepare your chicken skewers using the chicken and vegetables, alternating. Now spray a griddle pan (you can use a normal frying pan) with frylight, cook the skewers rotating to cook both sides. Any extra vegetables can be placed on top of the skewers to cook alongside.

TikkaSauce

In a fry pan add 1 tbsp olive oil, add cinnamom stick, green cadamoms, cloves, bayleaves, add cumin seeds and 1 large onion very finely chopped, add a pinch of salt, pinch of mace, . Fry the onions until nice golden brown . Add turmeric, 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste , 1 tbsp cumin powder,1 tbsp coriander powder, ½ tsp chilli powder. Make sure the flame is low when adding the spices or they may burn. Add ½ cup of water mix well. Once the masala has turned brown and cooked, add your tomato and cashew paste from the blender ,add ¼ cup water to this, cover the lid and let it simmer on low flame for 5-10minutes to allow all the flavours to combine together. Now lift the lid and add a ½ tsp of fenugreek powder into the sauce. Now remove your chicken tikka pieces from the skewers and add to the sauce with all the vegetables. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.

Pat yourself on the back, your fab chicken tikka masala is ready to eat !

Enjoy !! :)

Last edited:
Hi, glad your liking the thread. Yes diced lean beef steak works perfectly for this recipe :). Would love to see some pics ! Kay xx

Thanks Kay - will def post some pics when I get round to making this - will prob be next week now:D

Love your post! I'll be getting myself to the supermarket tomorrow to buy some ingredients :). I don't suppose you have a recipe for chicken saag do you? Thanks

I am so glad I came across this thread! Boyf is a mad curry fan and I don't think if be able to sit quietly while he ate a takeaway one! Hehe!

All looks scrummy, can't wait to make some!

Gem

xxxx

Im buying some extra spice's to try some of these this week :) will post pics when i do :)
Glad your liking the thread. Would love to see the pics :D. Happy cooking ! Kay xx

Thank u. Where do u get fenugreek leaves? I have capsules lol for when I needed extra breast milk pmsl x
Hi, you can purchase them from any Indian cash and carry, or from amazon online :) . Kay xx

Back