A Catalogue of Indian Recipes (Bhuna, Jalfrezi, Balti, Madras, Korma and many more)

Hi everyone !

Sorry I have been away from the forum for a while. I have just caught up with all your comments and taken note of your requests. I am glad you are all enjoying my Catalogue of Indian Recipes ! There is definitely room for more I think lol :p . Watch this space for some more delicious recipes ..........................

Kay xx :)

Great u are back x at the moment the madras and butter chicken feature regularly on a sat night. Look forward to more delights.

P.S. how do you syn Tamarind Paste? I don't usually bother as it is basically a fruit but wondered what you did?

Hi sorry for getting back to you so late. I have been off the forum for a while. Glad your liking the thread. Tamarind paste does contain a little sugar so it does have a syn value like ketchup. 1 level tbsp. = 1 syn. Hope that helps.

Hi Kay,

I just made your Bombay potatoes too (but added some spinach in). It was lovely!

Stacey

While cooking:

View attachment 89324

Served up with everything else

View attachment 89325

Hi Stacey, sorry its taken me so long to get back. I've been off the forum for a while. Loving the pics ! That looks yummy ! Bombay potatoes is one of my favourite recipes. It's so simple yet so lush. I will be posting up some more new recipes soon. Keep posting up the pics, I love them, makes it all worth while !

Great u are back x at the moment the madras and butter chicken feature regularly on a sat night. Look forward to more delights.

Hey, glad you've been cooking up a storm in the kitchen ! Would love to see some pics :) . Happy that your liking the recipes . If you have any requests, let me know. I will be posting up some new ones shortly.

Happy Cooking. Kay :) xx

If I haven't got ginger and garlic paste, can I just blend them in a food processor? Will try a recipe this week and let you all know how I get on. :)

Hi, if you don't have ginger and garlic paste then you can use raw ginger and garlic and blend it with 1 tbsp of fat free yogurt to form a paste. Hope this helps.

Kay :) xx

Thank you for the recipes. Gonna try some been wanting an indian for ages!!
Have you got a recipe for chicken chat?
Thanks

Coming soon .................

Hi there, sounds like a great recipe but how many syns does it have ?

Many thanks x

Hi, not sure which recipe you are asking for, but I would be happy to help. I have 34 recipes up on this thread so far. They are all for the slimming world plan. I have mentioned the syns on all the recipes. If I have missed anything out, let me know and I will do my best to add them.

Kay :) xx

That Rogan Josh one is absolutely fantastic, and that's after only making it with chicken. Can't wait to try it with red meat. Best Rogan Josh I've tried by far.

And the Madras today. Even better. I can't wait to try even more, I've some RJ and Madras to freeze now. Great stuff.

35) Onion Bhaji

Do you please have a nice recipe for onion bhaji please x
(35) SW Onion Bhaji.jpg (click on pic to enlarge)

This is a Slimming World recipe that I came across, not one of my own ! There are some dishes in Indian cuisine that are just too high in calories and if modified, the flavour just does not come out the same, so I avoid making them altogether. Below is a syn free onion bhaji recipe. I have not tried it out yet so cannot say anything about the flavour. Would love to hear from you all when you do though !

Ingredients

Onion Bhajis with Raita dip
Syn Free on Green and EE

8oz stiff mashed potato (you can use Smash)
400g tin/jar of cooked Chickpeas
2 thinly sliced onions
Salt & black pepper
approx 2 tbps curry powder (or to taste - we thought it also needed some chilli)
1 tsp mixed herbs
1 beaten egg
1 tsp dried coriander
Fry Light

Method

Heat oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6
Fry onions in fry light until soft

Drain and rinse chickpeas and mash well.
Add mashed potatoes, onions, curry powder and seasonings.
Mix together with beaten egg
Spray large baking tray with fry light
Put tablespoon sized 'balls' of mix on tray
Spray Bhajis with fry light
Cook in oven for approx 15 to 20 mins, until golden brown

Raita dip
1 small onion chopped
Cherry or tomatoes cut into chunks
Diced cucumber
100g pot Fat free natural yoghurt
1 tspn sugar free mint sauce concentrate
Pinch salt
Mix all these together to make a dip for the Bhajis

Enjoy !! :)

Last edited:
36) Chicken Saag (Spinach)

Love your post! I'll be getting myself to the supermarket tomorrow to buy some ingredients :). I don't suppose you have a recipe for chicken saag do you? Thanks
(36) Chicken Saag.jpg (click on pic to enlarge)

Serves 4-6

Syn Free on all plans (Green using Quorn style Chicken pieces)

Ingredients

1 kg fresh spinach
1 kg boneless chicken cubed
1 large onion finely chopped
½ tsp red chilli powder
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
2 cloves of chopped garlic
2 greenchillies deseeded and diced
1 large tomato chopped
Salt to taste
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp cumin powder
½ tsp cuminseeds
¼ tsp turmeric powder
¼ tsp nutmeg powder
¼ tub of Quark (62.5g)
4 cloves
2 green cardamoms
1 cinnamon stick
1 tsp fenugreek leaves
1 tbsp Ex V Olive Oil (HE-B)

Method

In a large frying pan, spray with fry light, add the chicken and fry for 5 minutes to seal it on low medium heat. Once the chicken is nicely brown, remove it from the pan and in a separate dish set aside. In a large saucepan boil some water. Now add the spinach and allow to boil for 2 mins. Drain the spinach and put inside a blender. Blitz to form a paste and set aside for use later.

In another large saucepan, on medium flame, add 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil, add the cloves, cardamoms, cinnamon stick and ½ tsp cumin seeds, stir for one minute. Now add the 2 cloves of garlic, now add the finely chopped onion, now brown the onions slightly and add ½ tsp of salt, keep stirring for 5 minutes until the onions have browned. Now add 1 tbsp of gingergarlic paste, add ¼ tsp turmeric powder, 1/4 tsp nutmeg powder, add 1 chopped tomato, keep stirring until the tomatoes and onions combine into a paste like mixture. Now add 1 tsp cumin powder, and 1 tsp coriander powder, add ½ tsp red chili powder, now add 1tsp fenugreek leaves, add 2 green chilies diced.

Now add the spinach paste from the blender to the pan. Keep stirring and cooking the spinach with the lid off for about 5 minutes on medium heat. Allow some of the water to dry so the sauce is nice and thick. Now add the chicken to the pan and lower the heat and cook with the lid on for 5 minutes. Now add ¼ tub of quark and mix well. Cover the lid and cook for a further 5 minutes. Now turn off the heat. Adjust salt to taste. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.

Serve with steamed basmati rice.

Last edited:
37) Exotic Mango Saffron Mousse

This is a wonderful exotic Indian dessert and extremely low in fat. I hope I have syned this correctly. If not please feel free to let me know so I can make the necessary adjustments. Saffron is a very expensive spice. It can be purchased from most supermarkets under the Schwartz brand in the spice and herb section or from any Indian cash and carry (where you may find it a bit cheaper). It has a very strong fragrance. If you are unable to get saffron then you can make it without, you will still end up with a lovely mango mousse. Please also note, for this recipe thick greek yogurt must be used not normal yogurt as you will not get the thick texture needed for the mousse.

(37) Mango Saffron Mousse.jpg (click on pic to enlarge)

2 Syns per serving on all plans.

Serves 4
Ingredients

1 ripe medium size mango (make puree in blender) = 7 syns
1 level tbsp sweetener
4 green cardamoms
a pinch of saffron threads (optional)
1 small tub of Total 0% fat free greek yogurt 170g
1 tub of Quark 250g
1 tbsp milk (HE-A)
8 small pistachios finely chopped = 2 syns

Method

Peel the mango, chop the flesh into cubes and put inside the food processor. Add 1 level tbsp of sweetener and blitz together in the machine. Heat the 1tbsp of milk in a mug with a very small pinch of saffron, just a few strands (4 or 5 will do), saffron is very fragrant, it can overpower if too much is used (30 secs in the micro will do). Set aside and allow to cool. In the meantime, peel the skin off the cardamoms to release the black seeds into a mortar and pestle and grind to form a powder.

Now in the food processor add the saffron milk, cardamom powder and the whole tub of quark, along with the whole tub of total yogurt. Also add your chopped pistachios (keep a few for decoration at the end). Now blitz everything together until the mixture is nice and smooth and there are no lumps left. Now do a quick taste test to see if you would like to add more sweetener. Adjust to your personal taste. Now take out your dessert glasses and pour the mousse into each glass. Decorate each glass with a few pistachios and saffron strands on top. Now pop the glasses in the fridge for the mousse to set for 3 hours.

Serve chilled. The perfect way to end an Indian Dinner.

Last edited:
This sounds lovely but the mango needs to be synned too as its puréed. Sorry!

This sounds lovely but the mango needs to be synned too as its puréed. Sorry!

Thanks for that your right ! I have adjusted it now. I checked with syns online. Sainsbury's mango puree 100g = 3.5 syns. I weighed one medium sized mango = 200g. So the puree for one mango is roughly = 7 syns. The recipe makes 4 portions. Plus the 2 syns for the pistachios. I would say each serving is roughly = 2 syns. Still not bad ! :D

Last edited:
Back