A Catalogue of Indian Recipes (Bhuna, Jalfrezi, Balti, Madras, Korma and many more)

What a lovely spread of recipes, thank you i will be trying some of these :) xx

What a lovely spread of recipes, thank you i will be trying some of these :) xx
Your most welcome :p will try and put some more up soon. Kay xx

you star!!! i think this should be a sticky thread so it doesnt get lost x
Glad your liking them :eek: wil be putting some more up very soon ! Kay xx

I'm Pakistani so know how to cook our type of food- but it's lovely to see how others cook similar meals. Will be checking them out in detail later.. Biryani recipe will definitely be used x

Just popped by to subscribe! Enjoying the thread :)
Glad to hear your enjoying the thread. Please let me know if you have any requests for a particular recipe, I will do my best to post it up :) . Kay xx

Hi please can you repost the rogan josh one as I am not able to see it. These recipes look amazing and I'm sure will help a lot of us missing our take always! Thank you :)

Hi please can you repost the rogan josh one as I am not able to see it. These recipes look amazing and I'm sure will help a lot of us missing our take always! Thank you :)
Hi, Rogan Josh is on page 2 of this thread and its recipe no.23. I have done a Contents Page on the first page of this thread to make it easier to get to the recipes of your choice, and each recipe is numbered, hope that helps. Maybe I could add page numbers too, that might help further :) . If you would like to see any of your other favourite indian recipes, let me know and I will do my best to post them up. Kay xx

Hi Kay there must be something wrong with my account as it shows the title on page 2 but then just has a smiley face underneath it I'll have a look again tomorrow thanks again :)

Oops ! Not sure why it's doing that.......anyway I am reposting for those of you who missed it :) . Kay xx
23) Rogan Josh

Some curries are richer in flavour and require a little butter. For this I have substituted with Flora Lighter than Light spread which is 1.5 syns per tbsp. I use this a lot in my cooking, it's a life saver! It gives the same rich taste but much lower on syns !
files

(23) Rogan Josh.jpg (click on pic to enlarge)

Serves 4-6

1/2 Syn per serving on Red and EE.

Ingredients

1 kg mutton cut into cube size pieces
1 tbsp ex v olive oil (HE b choice)
2 tbsp Flora Lighter than Light Spread (3 syns)
2 small sticks of cinnamon
5-6 cloves
2 black cardamoms
2 bay leaves
2 dried red chillies (whole)
1 large onion sliced
1 tbsp garlic paste
1 tbsp ginger paste
1 ½ cups ofwater
1 tsp salt(to taste)
2 tbsp of Kashmiri red chilli powder (mixed in 2 tbsp of water to form paste)
½ tsp fennel powder
½ tsp ginger powder
½ cup whipped fat free yogurt

Method

Wash and then cut the mutton into cube size pieces and set aside. Heat the olive oil and 2 tbsp of the flora lighter than lightspread in a saucepan. Add the cinnamon sticks, cloves, black cardamoms, whole dried red chillies and bay leaves and stir. Now add the sliced onions, ¼ tsp salt. Fry the onions until they turn golden brown. Now add the ginger and garlic paste, stir and mix. Now add the mutton , stir. Braise the mutton for about 2-3 minutes, until its evenly coloured . Now add 1 ½ cups of water, enough to cook the mutton, add ¾ tsp salt, give everything a gentle stir. Now cover and cook for about 20-25 minutes, stirring in between. Now the mutton should be almost cooked we will add some more spices. Add the Kashmiri red chilli paste, fennel powder, ginger powder, mix everything well. Now add in the whipped yogurt and stir. Keep the lid open and cook for another 10 minutes until the gravy is nice and thick. Turn off the heat. Your Rogan Josh is ready to eat !

Enjoy !! :)

Last edited:
21) Chicken Madras

Serves 4

Ingredients

1 tsp fenugreek seeds (not leaves)

6-7 dry curry leaves

Hi Kay,

Thanks for all the the lovely looking recipes.

Im planning on making the madras but I've only been able to get fenugreek powder, do you think I can use a teaspoon of this instead of the seeds?

Also I've been unable to get any curry leaves. Is there anything I can substitute it with please? Unfortunately were a bit thin on the ground for shops selling world foods around here :-(

Hi Kay,

Thanks for all the the lovely looking recipes.

Im planning on making the madras but I've only been able to get fenugreek powder, do you think I can use a teaspoon of this instead of the seeds?

Also I've been unable to get any curry leaves. Is there anything I can substitute it with please? Unfortunately were a bit thin on the ground for shops selling world foods around here :-(

Hi Stacey :) . The Madras is a wonderful recipe, glad your trying it out. You can substitute the fenugreek seeds for 1/2 tsp of crushed fenugreek leaves. If you are unable to find fenugreek leaves, then you can add 1/2 tsp of mustard seeds instead. If you are unable to find fresh curry leaves, you can use dried ones which come in a pack and can be bought from most supermarkets. If it is still not available then there is no real substitute for curry leaves, however another option would be to use 2/3 bay leaves. This will change the flavour slightly but the dish will still come out scrumptious ! I hope this answers all your queries. Please post up some pics when it's done, would love to see them ! Kay xx

Thanks for coming back to me so quickly Kay :)

I've ordered some dry curry leaves off the Internet. I can't believe they are so hard to find round here. I was sure I'd be able to get them Kar night but never mind!

I'm hoping to make it over the weekend (if they arrive!) I will take pictures. There's so many of the recipes in this thread I want to make but my spice cupboard needs some work first!

Hi Kay,

I made the madras! It is LOVELY! Here's a couple of pics (I did some celeriac chips with it to up the superfree a little)

image-3131946451.jpg

image-4140438565.jpg

Hi Kay,

I made the madras! It is LOVELY! Here's a couple of pics (I did some celeriac chips with it to up the superfree a little)

I'v got the madras bubblin away on the stove at the mo! Hope it looks as nice as yer's when it's done! lol! I'l try 2 post a pic if I can take 1 wifout Hubby eattin it 1st! :)

Back