A Catalogue of Indian Recipes (Bhuna, Jalfrezi, Balti, Madras, Korma and many more)

Awesome thread!

I'll be having a go at one of these recipes over the weekend. Thank you for all of your hard work.

Awesome thread!

I'll be having a go at one of these recipes over the weekend. Thank you for all of your hard work.

You're welcome hun. If you have any requests, let me know and I will do my best to post them up soon.

Kay xx :)

This is a fantastic thread!! Keep up the good work :D. Nic x

Your recipes sound lovely. I want to start making some more curries so will definitely be trying some soon. Thankyou!

You're welcome hun. If you have any requests, let me know and I will do my best to post them up soon.

Very generous offer, you'll wish you hadn't! I'm quite well travelled so have experienced many amazing dishes. Favourites in our house are karahi, makhani, mass biran and daal bhat- excuse any bad spellings! Any of those SWed in the future would be awesome. Other than that we're all coming to your house for dinner!!! :D x

wow, this is amazing! One of my favorites is Afsana or Ranis I need to find good recipies, so any hints would be welcome :)

38) Saag Aloo

(Spinach and Potato Curry)

Forgot to ask if anyone had a recipe for saag aloo? Looking at the ingredients it looks very SW friendly/easy adaptable but not sure if that's the case as I don't know much about Indian cooking, only that saag aloo is delicious!

(38) Saag Aloo.jpg (click on pic to enlarge)

Serves 4-6

Syn Free on EE and Green.

Ingredients

1 kg fresh spinach
2 Large potatoes cubed
1 large onion finely chopped
½ tsp red chilli powder
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
2 cloves of chopped garlic
2 green chillies deseeded and diced
1 large tomato chopped
Salt to taste
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp cumin powder
½ tsp cumin seeds
¼ tsp turmeric powder
¼ tsp nutmeg powder
4 cloves
2 green cardamoms
1 cinnamon stick
1 tsp fenugreek leaves
1 tbsp Ex V Olive Oil (HE-B)

Method

Peel the potatoes, chop into small cube size pieces, wash and drain. In a large saucepan boil some water and par boil the potatoes and set aside until later. In the same pan, boil some more water again. Now add the spinach and allow to boil for 2 mins. Drain the spinach and put inside a blender. Blitz to form a paste and set aside for use later.

In another large saucepan, on medium flame, add 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil, add the cloves, cardamoms, cinnamon stick and ½ tsp cumin seeds, stir for one minute. Now add the 2 cloves of garlic, now add the finely chopped onion, now brown the onions slightly and add ½ tsp of salt, keep stirring for 5 minutes until the onions have browned. Now add 1 tbsp of ginger garlic paste, add ¼ tsp turmeric powder, add 1 chopped tomato, keep stirring until the tomatoes and onions combine into a paste like mixture. Now add 1 tsp cumin powder, and 1 tsp coriander powder, add ½ tsp red chili powder, now add 1tsp fenugreek leaves, add 2 green chilies diced.

Now add the spinach paste from the blender to the pan. Keep stirring and cooking the spinach with the lid off for about 5 minutes on medium heat. Allow some of the water to dry so the sauce is nice and thick. Now add the potatoes to the pan and lower the heat and cook with the lid on for 10 minutes or until potatoes have cooked through. Now turn of the heat. Adjust salt to taste. Garnish with fresh coriander.

Serve with steamed basmati rice.

Enjoy !! :)

Last edited:
39) Chicken Chaat

Thank you for the recipes. Gonna try some been wanting an indian for ages!!
Have you got a recipe for chicken chat?
Thanks
Chaat is a word in India used for savory snacks. Chaats are normally quite hot and spicy. There are many variations to this dish out there. Some people make it with a curry like sauce, but I prefer the dry preparation. This dish is beautiful in colour when served on the plate. Would love to see some pics ! :D

(39) Chicken Chaat.jpg (click on pic to enlarge)

Serves 4

2.5 Syns per serving on EE and (Green using Quorn style Chicken pieces) / Red 3.5 Syns per serving

Ingredients

1 kg boneless chicken cubed
1 can of chick peas drained 400g (Red 4 syns)
4 tbsp Flora lighter than light spread = 6 syns
3 cloves garlic crushed
salt to taste
½ tsp ground black pepper
½ tsp red chilli flakes
½ tsp garam masala
1 tsp cumin seeds
Juice of 1 lime
½ bunch of coriander chopped (separate into 2 portions)
1 cucumber diced
2 tomatoes chopped
1 Large red onion finely chopped
2 green chillies deseeded finely chopped
1 green bell pepper diced
Dressing
4 tbsp fat free yogurt
1 tsp sweetner
4 tbsp tamarind sauce = 4 syns
fresh coriander leaves

Method

In a large salad bowl, add the chopped, bell pepper, cucumber, tomatoes, 2 green chillies, red onion, and half a portion of the chopped corriander and the juice of half a lime. Mix everything well together, add ½ tsp salt and mix again. Cover the salad bowl with cling film and place in fridge for later.

Wash and dice the chicken into cube size pieces. In a sauce pan on low medium heat, add the 4 tbsp of flora lighter than light spread, add the 3 cloves of crushed garlic, add the chicken, add 1 tsp salt, ½ tsp ground black pepper, ½ tsp red chilli flakes. Keep stiring and cook until the chicken has cooked almost all the way through (approx 10 mins). Now add the chick peas, stir and sprinkle 1tsp of cumin seeds and ½ tsp garam masala and squeeze the juice of half a lime. Turn the heat up to medium. Cook for a further 5 mins with the chickpeas. Turn off the heat and add the remainder fresh chopped coriander and stir.

With chaat the salad is mixed in with the meat and is not served separately. So when you are ready to serve, take out the salad from the fridge, separate into 4 equal portions. Likewise separate the chicken chaat mixture into 4 portions. Serve each individual plate combining the 2 together. In a small bowl add 4 tbsp fat free yogurt add 1tsp sweetner and mix together. Garnish each plate with 1 tbsp of the fat free yogurt ontop, and ontop of the yogurt drizzle 1 tbsp of the tamarind sauce, add a few coriander leaves to the plate too. The colours on the plate will look wonderful !

Enjoy !! :)

Last edited:
40) Chicken Passanda

Anyone with a pasanda recipe? Please!
Any passanda recipes?
Passanda is quite a rich dish and so uses more syns, like korma :p. This dish can be made using 1kg of lamb or mutton also.

(40) Chicken Pasanda.jpg (click on pic to enlarge)

Serves 4

4.5 syns per serving on Red and EE and (Green using x8 Quorn Chicken Fillets)

Ingredients

• 8 skinless chicken thigh fillets, quartered
  • 8 tbsp natural fat free yogurt
  • 2 tsp ground cumin
  • 4 tsp ground coriander
  • 8 cardamom pods, split and seeds crushed
  • 2 tsp ground turmeric
  • 1 tbsp ex v olive oil (HE-B)
  • 2 onion, finely sliced
  • 4cm piece ginger, grated
  • 2 green chilli, sliced
  • 2 garlic clove, crushed
  • 200ml chicken stock
  • 4 tbsp ground almonds = 18 syns
  • 2 tsp garam masala
Method

Put the chicken, yoghurt, almonds and spices in a bowl, mix and marinate for at least 1-2 hours and place in fridge.

Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan then cook the onions for about 10 minutes until really softened and golden. Add the ginger, chilli and garlic and cook for another few minutes until fragrant. Tip in the chicken and marinade then cook, stirring until the chicken starts to color. Add the stock, cover then simmer for 30 minutes. Add the garam masala and simmer for a further 5 minutes. Now turn off the heat. Garnish with freshly chopped coriander and green chilli slices.

Serve with a lovely raita dip and steamed basmati rice.

Enjoy :) !!

Last edited:
41) Lamb Buhari

Do you have a recipe for lamb buhari? Its my favourite lots of sauce with finger chilli floating in it.

Lamb Buhari is a meat curry from Kerala. I managed to source the recipe for you. Hope you like it :) .

(41) Lamb Buhari.jpg (click on pic to enlarge)

Serves 4

Syn Free on Red and EE.

Ingredients:

1 Kg lamb cut into chunks
1 tbsp ex v olive oil (HE-B)
frylight
3 medium size onions chopped
1 ¾ tbsp minced ginger
1 ¾ tbsp minced garlic
4 small- medium tomatoes chopped
1 tbsp red chilli powder

2 whole dry red chillies
½ tsp cumin seeds
1 ½ tbsp coriander powder
½ tsp turmeric powder
½ tsp + ½ tsp garam masala
½ cup water
2 twigs curry leaves
salt to taste

Method:

1. Place a large saucepan onto medium heat and add 1 tbsp oil. When hot, add the sliced onions and sauté until it starts turning golden.

2. Add minced ginger and garlic and sauté for few seconds up to a minute or until the raw smell fades.

3. Add chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and ½ tsp garam masala and sauté for few seconds.

4. Add in chopped tomatoes. Cover and cook till soft and the whole mixture looks pulpy. At this point you will see the oil has started clearing from the sides. Stir in between to avoid burning.

5. Add the meat and stir well. Add water and simmer for 40 minutes or until meat is cooked through.

6. If there is too much of liquid, boil until it is reduced to thick gravy. Make it as thick or thin as desired.

7. Add curry leaves and the remaining bit of garama masala. Stir well. Close the lid and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.

8. In a frying pan, on medium heat, spray with frylight, sprinkle the cumin seeds and add the 2 dry red chilles. Stir until cumin seeds turn brown (not burnt) and the chilli turns a darker red in colour (maybe 1-2 mins maximum). Turn off the heat and add to the Buhari dish as garnish. Also add chopped coriander for the final finish.

Serve with raita and steamed basmati rice.

Enjoy :)
!! xx

Last edited:
42) Chicken Pathia

Any pathia dishes? x
The Pathia dish originates from Persia. I have managed to source the recipe for you. I hope u like it :) ! x

(42) Chicken Pathia.jpg (click on pic to enlarge)

Serves 4

Syn free on EE and Red and (Green using x4 Quorn Chicken Fillets)

Ingredients:

For the sauce

• 1 large onion chopped
  • 1 tbsp garlic minced
  • 1 tbsp ginger minced
  • 1 tsp coriander powder
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1 tsp turmeric
  • 1 x 400g can plum tomatoes
  • 250 ml water
For the Pathia

• 1 large onion chopped
  • 1 tbsp ex v olive oil (HE-B)
  • 1 green pepper chopped
  • 1 tsp garlic minced
  • 1 tsp ginger minced
  • 1 tsp cumin powder
  • 1 tsp coriander powder
  • 1 tsp cinnamon powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1 handful coriander chopped
  • 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
  • 2 tbsp sweetner
  • red food colouring - just a dash
  • 4 chicken breasts cubed
  • 250 ml chicken stock
Method

1. Begin making the sauce by frying the minced garlic in the olive oil, add minced ginger, coriander powder, paprika and turmeric for about a minute to release the flavours.
    2. Add the onions and fry for a further 10 minutes.
    3. Add the tomatoes and water and simmer for approximately 1 hour until the mixture is thick and most of the water has evaporated. Blend the mixture until it becomes thick and velvety.
    4. Begin to make the curry by frying the onion, green pepper, minced garlic, minced ginger, cumin powder and coriander powder for around 10 minutes.
    5. Add the sauce you prepared earlier, along with the chicken stock, cinnamon powder, cayenne pepper, white wine vinegar, sweetner, red food coloring and salt to taste. Give everything a good mix and add the chicken. Simmer for 10 minutes and add the chopped coriander.
    6. Simmer for another 20 minutes until the curry has reduced. Turn off the heat. Garnish with fresh coriander.

Serve with steamed basmati rice .

Enjoy :)
!! xx

Last edited:
Here to subscribe Kay - looking forward to trying some of your recipes

Thanks would love to see some pics when your done ! :D

Kay xx

This is a fantastic thread!! Keep up the good work :D. Nic x

Thanks a lot ! I love cooking and have been cooking Indian food for my family and friends for years now ! I have adapted all my recipes to SW. So who says you can't have curry and loose weight ! :p

Kay xx

Your recipes sound lovely. I want to start making some more curries so will definitely be trying some soon. Thankyou!

Thank you :) . Glad your liking the recipes. I have recently added some new ones. Hope to see some more pics from all of you very soon. It makes it all worthwhile for me ! :D

Kay xx

wow, this is amazing! One of my favorites is Afsana or Ranis I need to find good recipies, so any hints would be welcome :)

Glad you enjoy Indian cuisine. Sorry to sound clueless but who or what is Afsana and Ranis ?? :D

Kay xx

Very generous offer, you'll wish you hadn't! I'm quite well travelled so have experienced many amazing dishes. Favourites in our house are karahi, makhani, mass biran and daal bhat- excuse any bad spellings! Any of those SWed in the future would be awesome. Other than that we're all coming to your house for dinner!!! :D x

LOL :D . That's a big list. Ok so one by one.............karahi coming up. Makhani is not the name of a dish but what it means is any curry cooked in butter. So you can have daal makhani, which is lentils cooked in a butter sauce or you can have chicken makhini which is butter chicken which I have already posted up. What I am going to do is post a recipe for Makhini sauce which is the famous Indian butter sauce which can be used with a combination of leftover vegetables or any meats and even fish. Dhal Bhaat recipe is coming up also. But for the life of me I could not figure out what is Mass Biran - sounds like errrrr brain ? :giggle:

Kay xx

Last edited:
Mass Biran..........hmmm, after all that I found it ! :D and it's not brain, it's a fried fish dish ! I will post it up next.

Back