A Catalogue of Indian Recipes (Bhuna, Jalfrezi, Balti, Madras, Korma and many more)

43) Mass Biran

(Spicy Fried Fish)

(43) Mass Biran.jpg (click on pic to enlarge)

This dish originates from Bangladesh. It is a fried fish dish and so uses up a lot of syns. This recipe can be done by making the fish in the oven to reduce the syns but the flavour will not come out the same as it is a fried fish dish, which is ment to taste crispy. Sticking to the original recipe means it works out to 6 syns per serving.

Serves 4

6 Syns per serving on Red and EE.

Ingredients:

1 medium sized onion sliced
3-4 green chillies
8 pieces Cod or Haddock
4 tbsp ex v olive oil = 24 syns
frylight
½ tsp chilli powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp cumin powder
½ tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp coriander powder
½ tsp salt or to taste

Method:

In a bowl add 1 tbsp ex v olive oil, add all the spices along with the salt and mix together. Now apply the mixture all over the fish, making sure they are all well coated. Leave to marinade for 10 mins. In a pan, heat up about 2 tbsp of ex v olive oil. Make sure you don’t pour too much oil in the pan since you already used some in the marinade. Then again, you don’t want too little, incase the fish sticks to the pan. Spray some frylight in the pan if that happens.

When the oil is fairly hot, place the fish carefully into the pan and fry till crispy. Due to the nature of this dish, you’ll want to fry the fish until its nicely golden brown on both sides. Once the frying is done, set aside the fish pieces in a serving dish.

Slice 1 onion finely. Add 1 tbsp of ex v olive oil, ½ tsp salt, ½ tsp cumin seeds, in the same frying pan, fry the onions until they turn brown. You want the onions to be crispy and not soft. Add the green chillies and fry along with the onion.

Scatter onions and chillies over the fish and serve while hot.

Serve with a yogurt raita and steamed basmati rice.

Enjoy :)
!! xx

Last edited:
You are the Queen of curry!!!!

I think we had mass biran with red snapper and it was amazing!! So ridiculously calorific though so I'm impressed that you fixed it for 6 syns. I'll try it soon and report back.

Thank you again for all of your hard work and magic! xxx

44) Karahi Lamb

(Lamb cooked in a wok)

Karahi chicken is also very popular, so you can replace the lamb for chicken instead if you prefer.

(44) Lamb Karahi.jpg (click on pic to enlarge)

Serves 4

Syn Free on Red and EE.

Ingredients

1 kg of lamb cut into cube size pieces
2 tsp ginger paste
2 tsp garlic paste
1 tsp salt(or to taste)
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
½ tsp red chilli powder
5-6 plum tomatoes medium size diced
3-4 green chillies deseeded and diced
1 tbsp ex volive oil (HE-B)
½ juice of 1 lemon
freshly chopped coriander to garnish

Method

This dish is best cooked in a Wok (Karahi) but you can use a regular pot if you don’t have a Wok. Add the meat in a pot with the garlic and ginger paste and leave on medium heat for the water to dry. When that is done add 3 glasses of water, cover and leave to tenderize. If you’re using chicken you don’t have to add water and can move onto the next step.

When the meat has softened, add everything, including the oil, except leave out the green chillies and tomatoes. Increase the heat to dry the water if any, then add the green chillies and tomatoes. Lower the heat and cook covered for 5-10minutes till the tomatoes have softened. Increase the heat and evaporate all the water. The end result should be with a very little gravy. This is a dry preparation. Turn off the heat and garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves and a few slit green chillies, and squeeze the juice of ½ lemon ontop and serve.

Best served with weight watchers mini naan breads = 5 ½ syns each, (there are 4 in a pack) and a syn free yogurt raita dip !

!! xx

Last edited:
You are the Queen of curry!!!!

I think we had mass biran with red snapper and it was amazing!! So ridiculously calorific though so I'm impressed that you fixed it for 6 syns. I'll try it soon and report back.

Thank you again for all of your hard work and magic! xxx

Thanks glad your happy. Would love to see some pics :D ! I'm still finishing your requests lol . It would be great if one of the mods would kindly make this a sticky. I have ensured that all the 44 recipes (so far and still counting......) on here are all SW friendly. What do u think ?

Kay xx :)

I think that you are right! I might have a sneaky word... xx

Thanks, I hope others who have liked this thread ask too, it makes all the hard work I've put in worthwhile :p and it's easier to find for everyone !

Kay xx

These recipes look fab!! Ill be doing the chicken madras this week so ill post a pic :)!

Xx

Glad your liking them, looking forward to seeing those pics :). If you have any questions to do with the recipes, let me know and I will do my best to answer them.

Happy cooking !

Kay xx

45) Daal Bhat

(Lentils with Rice)

(45) Dal Bhat.jpg (click on pic to enlarge)

Daal Bhat simply means lentils with rice. This yummy recipe originates from Nepal.

Serves 4

2.5 Syns per serving on EE and Green.

Ingredients:

PlainRice (Bhat)

2 cups rice (Basmati or Long grain preferred)
4 cups (1 lt) water
1 tsp flora lighter than light spread = 1 syn

Lentils (Daal)

1½ cups lentil (any kind)
4 to 5 cups of water (depends preference of your consistency of liquid)
½ tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp garlic minced

½ tsp cumin seeds
½ tsp mustard seeds
6 tbsp flora lighter than light spread = 9 syns
3/4 cup sliced onions
2 chillies (dried red chilies preferred
)

Salt to taste
¼ tsp (pinch) asafoetida – also known as hing - optional
1 tbsp fresh ginger paste

Method

Rice:
Measure out 2 cups of rice.
Wash rice and soak for 5 minutes.
Add 4 cups of water to the 2 cups of rice and boil the rice over medium heat for about 10 -15 minutes. Stir once thoroughly. Add ½ tsp of flora lighter than light spread to give the rice a nice taste as well as make it light, soft and fluffy.
Turn the heat to low and cook, covered, for 5 more minutes until the rice are done.

Lentils:

5 Wash lentils and soak lentil for 10 minutes.
6 Remove anything that floats on the surface and drain the extra water.
7 Add drained lentils in fresh water and bring to a boil again.
8 Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 20 to 30 minutes until lentils are soft and the consistency is similar to that of porridge. Turn off the heat.
9 In a small pan heat the 6 tbsp of flora lighter than light spread and fry the onions with ½ tsp of salt, until they have browned. Now add the chillies, garlic,ginger paste, hing and tumeric. Fry for 1 min. Now add ½ tsp of cumin and mustard seeds, fry for a further 1 min. Now turn off the heat.
10 Stir the onion mixture into the lentils. Simmer with the lid on for 5 mins. Now turn the heat off and garnish with freshly chopped coriander. Season with salt to taste.

Serve with your lentils (Daal) with your plain boiled rice(Bhat) and a cucumber yogurt raita dip.

!! xx

Last edited:
46) Makhini Sauce

(Butter Sauce)

This is a great sauce to use as a base for any left over vegetables, or if you can’t think of what to do with left over meat, chicken or fish. It only takes 2 mins to whip up ! Once the sauce is made simply add your cooked meat to it or your cooked veggies, stir and mix well together and voila your lovely butter sauce curry is ready in minutes !

(46) Makini Sauce.jpg (click on pic to enlarge)

Serves 4

2 Syns per serving on all plans.

Ingredients

3 tbsp flora lighter than light spread = 4.5 syns
1 tsp coriander powder
½ tub of quark
½ tsp cumin powder
1 small onion finely diced
1 tbsp ex v olive oil (HE – B)
½ tsp garam masala powder
¼ tsp fenugreek leaves
¼ tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp red chilli powder
Salt to taste
½ tsp sweetner
3 tbsp. tomato ketchup = 3 syns
1 cup tomato puree

Method

In a frying pan heat the oil on medium heat, add the onions and ¼ tsp of salt and fry until golden brown. Set aside when done.

In a saucepan, on medium heat, add 3 tbsp of flora lighter than light spread and while it’s melting, add in all the spices at one time (i.e. chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, fenugreek leaves, garam masala powder, turmeric powder,salt, and sweetner). Now add the browned onions and mix well. Add the tomato puree and tomato ketchup and combine all the ingredients well together.

Cover the pan with a lid and cook the sauce for 1 minute or until the butter starts to ooze out. Remove the lid and add the quark little by little stirring continuously or else it will get curdled. Cook for another minute with the lid on. Mix well. Switch off the flame. Your silky butter sauce is ready !

!! xx

Last edited:
Brilliant recipes to try keep them coming. Would you have the recipe for ' don't know what it's called'. A family friend used to give us this when we dropped in, a small bowl which contained tiny cubes of potatoes, frozen peas and minced meat cleverly spiced and we ate it with bread. I would imagine it would have been an Indian recipe. Thanks

Brilliant recipes to try keep them coming. Would you have the recipe for ' don't know what it's called'. A family friend used to give us this when we dropped in, a small bowl which contained tiny cubes of potatoes, frozen peas and minced meat cleverly spiced and we ate it with bread. I would imagine it would have been an Indian recipe. Thanks

i so hope the frozen peas didn't do any long term damage to Your teeth. :8855:

wow fantastic thread! i will certainly be trying out some of these recipes :)

thanks for the effort you put into this!

Hi Kay,
Can i just check - with the curry leaves, dried or fresh - do you chop them up and mix it in or put them in whole and take out at the end? many thanks Sinead

What a great thread thank you!

Back