A diary of a slimming world consultant

Not even sure of that, there's some that need relaunching and a possible start up location - really want a relaunch. There's another interview on Wednesday so they're not sure where to put us yet. I have my pretraining a week today too, I'm itching to find out. Can't even start thinking about local activities till I know.

Yeah I'd be itching to know too ! I think I was the only one from my area at the time so the team developer told me there was a class close to me needing a consultant orthey were looking to start a grip about 5 miles from me. I got to choose so had to look at pros and cons of both. Looked into the new one and I can see now why it's not there , there's not many options of venue a morning class would be better however I'm looking for a night class to start off however if it's still an option later and I woyld like another class it would be great. The relaunch class made more sense. It's a good area and should be heaving. It's in a new high school excellent facilities massive car park and in the middle of a good few housing estates. Fingers crossed you hear soon.
I hit pound shop for some bits and pieces today as I'm too excited however didn't go mad as no idea what I need yet x

Yeah everything you've said I agree with, hopefully I will get told sooner rather than later.
What did you buy, I have no clue? Will you inherit items from the relaunch group or do you need to buy everything again? x

Well got my pack and am at pre training wed evening let the work begin I feel quite sick at the same time as being excited at a new start but I sat in my group on Thursday and was shaking watching my consultant she is so amazing how am I going to match that eek !

Hi. I didn't inherit things from relaunch group. In your franchise you get everything new. You need to buy sundries like boxes, cash tins etc. could ask previous consultant if they want to sell anything, mine had already got rid of things by time I applied. will answer any other questions if needed, I started 7 Jan and cant believe where the time has gone since I applied! Sandra xx

Hi I still think that and I'm on week 8! Everyone says it will take months/years to feel fully confident and even then still won't be 100% sure so ho with the flow. I can say that after a few weeks, didn't feel like that at the beginning though! Training is amazing you will learn so much and make great friendships. Enjoy. Sandra xx

Yeah there is another consultant covering my group, think the old consultant left last year. So just buying bits and pieces like the day glo Stars, blu tac some box folders and lots of sticky labels! Luckily my mum was a sales rep for years and is quite crafty so I'm acquiring a few things from her like cash boxes plastic wallets file folders eyc. Didn't buy too much was waiting to see what I need first but couldn't resist stocking up on a few things. I've been having a bash at my editorial, luckily the last who dies advertising for our paper was scouting at my work last week so I've got her card and was going to give her a ring and really push the editorial and hopefully get a nice deal on an advert. Can't wait to get to pre training last thing I'm waiting for the now is my loan approval. I am having to borrow for the franchise which is the most daunting part for me !!

I'm in panic mode now going through the can I reall do this ... So much to take in and not even started training yet I too have had to borrow the money :( can anyone tell me how quickly you can work through the pay structure I am launching a new group and taking on an existing group that has over 80 members at present .... I have a job nursing 2 nights a week and at present can't affo to give that up but long term goal is to concentrate on Sw grou and leave the NHS as it is something I want to do and will hopefully actually be "family friendly"

Had a meltdown on Monday night. Same thing can I do it am ? I being realistic enough ? I work full time however my hours are 9-4 and never a weekend no late nights etc the latest I've stayed at work was 5pm and that's at busy times on the run up to xmas. It's 5 mins from where I live and inbetween where I live and my class. I have another part time volunteer job which I'm giving up to do this I only get expenses for too many hours there so the money side is not a big issue although I just want to make enough to cover everything.
I'm not sure about the tiered commission. I've read a lot about fast tracking once you have your magic 25 new members but still unsure about the stages. Something I hoped to ask at pre training on Saturday.
also there's one part in the contract about a fee that I wasn't sure about. Do we pay a weekly fee on top of the franchise fee and after commission venue hire etc ? I'll need to go look at the exact section. X

It's hard to generalise about earnings - my experience has taught me that everyone will have a different experience!

I relaunched a failed group (just one session) and launched with only 10 new members, so no fast-tracking. That was in November, so not a great time to launch, with people already thinking about Christmas. My group really struggled until January - most weeks I would earn around £10! (After SW had taken their cut and rent paid etc). The outlay is much much more than the £1,500 franchise fee - advertising, bits to help you run your group properly etc - I think I spent at least £500 on top of the franchise fee. It does take over your life for the first three months and beyond! I nearly gave it up a few times in the first few months. To promote properly and run your group in the early months takes far, far more effort than the 10 hours a week per group they like to quote.

Now in the first week of March and I reached stage 3, which is 55 members in group. In four months I've recouped around half of my initial outlay, so nowhere near making a profit yet, but now getting a steady income, so should pay it off by the summer and then I'll be in profit. There were other consultants on my training with similar experiences.

Other consultants I trained with relaunched successful groups, or launched groups and fast-tracked - so they were earning well from the start. A few have already launched second groups, or more sessions and given up their other jobs.

It will entirely depend on where your group is, how much demand for SW there is and how much effort you can put in to promotion!

On the plus side, I love running my group and helping people lose weight - nothing beats handing out half stone awards after someone's first week! :)

Well I now know I'm getting a relaunch double session and I'm so excited. Can't wait for pre training on Sunday, as I'm itching to get started.
How's everybodys plans for community activities, etc? X

Thanks for a wee insight into this, I understand what you mean. I know two girls doing SW for about the same length of time both start up groups and one has really taken off the other was a bit slower to get going numbers not quite as good as she thought. That's why I wasn't to set my expectations realistically im hoping I can get my relaunch class up to the 75 mark, there is definitely room for it, venue is central plenty housing estates - population is good. Just need to put all the hard work in and I am so determined to make this work.

I do work full time sh - 9-4 mon to thursday and half day on a friday I do have two kids 10 and 13 but I also feel I spend more time moaning about what I could be doing than actually doing it - I have lost the motivation and started getting lazy which I cannot stand. I love a busy life too much time on my hands is not a good thing haha! never been used to it. I think the promotional times will be hard work but im willing to give it a good bash and thankfully I have the support from my hubby.

I'm itching to get going and would really love in time to make a career out of it.

Well I now know I'm getting a relaunch double session and I'm so excited. Can't wait for pre training on Sunday, as I'm itching to get started.
How's everybodys plans for community activities, etc? X
Aw thats great! Can I ask though is a double session a weigh in at 530 and 730? and do you have to have a certain amount members before you can do that?

I'm off on Saturday afternoon for pretraining and im starting to feel a little disorganized as im not sure what to be doing. I haven't visited any other groups - will we be asked to do this after pre training and before going to Derby ? I feel like I was maybe supposed to do this but my TD just said see you that sat and we'll talk it all over.

I have written my editorial - well the second draft there will probably be some editing to do. I haven't got my before and after photos yet as im struggling to find any that I look okay in (I hate photos so I always make daft faces or that)and I need to get a decent one just now,

I've looked at the area surrounding my venue and there is just over 3000 houses so thats the leaflets sorted, posters will be a nightmare - there's hardly any where to put them up - having said that i could get another 20 out if im allowed to use an area like a main street however its a wee bit away and there is anther class close to that. its only about a 15 minute walk from my venue but don't want to cover another area and annoy any existing consultants.

Been looking for community events and i'm struggling with this a bit, not sure what I'm aiming for - any tips would be great.

Had my pre training last night left me feeling excited to get going until I started looking through all the literature dear god ! U go to visit couple of groups prior to training and u have some work to do to take to training looking forward to getting going now venue sorted 25 th April doesn seem far away now

Had my pre training last night left me feeling excited to get going until I started looking through all the literature dear god ! U go to visit couple of groups prior to training and u have some work to do to take to training looking forward to getting going now venue sorted 25 th April doesn seem far away now
Aw fab ! I'm looking forward to it just finishing off a book so going to clear the kindle for a while as I'm sure I'll have plenty to keep me going by the sounds of it. Can't wait to go to head office too s

Aw fab ! I'm looking forward to it just finishing off a book so going to clear the kindle for a while as I'm sure I'll have plenty to keep me going by the sounds of it. Can't wait to go to head office too s
Hi to both of you - enjoy all the reading and diplomas you need to do before training - I thought I'd never finish reading SOS but I did. It is hard work at the start, it is bewildering but to see the look on people's faces when they lose weight and receive awards is priceless :)

Sandra x

Hi Littlelou25

yeah that what a double sessions like. The group I'm taking over has been at double session for a long time and going strong. Want to build them up further and either add a third on or start another group to it but better learn to walk befor I can run.
Dont worry about visits, I was told to do them between pre training and head office. You may get told at pretraining which are the better ones to visit too.
I'm worried about posters too as we start our campaign off the back of the Easter promo and there's another group in the same town as me.

I have no tips on community activities, I was hoping someone would help me. Not sure what to say when visiting nurserys etc. xx

Ah right I am not sure how many members there class i'm relaunching has, started at fifty then last week about 40 was mentioned and then today a colleague whos wife attends was saying they thought about 25!? don't know if she meant thats how many who stayed for class or an all round number. I'll be a bit disappointed if its been slightly exagerrated however it just gives me a reason to work extra hard at boosting the class and making it mine. I was thinking today I should have just went undercover to check it out. I'll def be visiting next week to see the venue, get a rough idea of what its like size wise and look at the area surrounding for promotion. I thought i'd be best waiting until after pre training and no jump the gun.
Community activities, found out a bit more today i've found a good few mum and toddler groups however I work days so it'll be hard getting into them I'm hoping to be able to get a poster and some leaflets in there. We also have a few golden oldie clubs im hoping to visit (as to be honest, they ain't that old!) Theres also a local womens soroptimists club, hoping to get a wee promo in on their meeting night at the local hotel. i am going to keep digging on the net and go for a wee drive see what else I can find :)

Back