A downside of losing weight

Thanks Tracey and sugar fiend - feel really pleased with myself.

Peachy - I know what you mean when you say your dirty little secret. It's like dieting is something other people do, not us! Even though, people can quite clearly see that we're over weight, and if I wasn't dieting and saw me in the street, I would want to know why I was dieting as I need to! Does that make sense, as I would never dream of saying anything to anyone else. If a person is happy as they are who are we tell them otherwise?

xx

Happy- definitely, I find even I judge people who are substantially bigger than I am now that I'm on the "diet" and I feel guilty but it's true, I have to be honest. Anyone else done that? I just find myself looking at them and thinking: "Christ, they shouldn't be wearing that dress", or "are you sure you really want to eat that?", which I'm sure people easily could've thought of me before.

Nobody's ever really said anything like that to me, and thank god, I would've cried I think. It's really hypocritical, I'm not sure why I'm thinking that, I feel really bad. Maybe it's because I don't believe that you can be truly happy when you've got a weight problem because it obviously ties in with some other issue... they might be out there, but I've never met somebody who actually didn't care or was happy. I think everybody cares to some extent really.

Peachy, couldn't have said it better myself. I'm always looking at others and think, please don't let me ever get as big as that, or I say to my OH, I'm not as big as that, am I?

It's funny, I know I'm fat coz of the size clothes I wear and by what I see in the mirror, yet somehow I don't see myself as fat as others. That's sounds awful, coz I know I'm as fat or fatter.....

I am happy with my life, but have other issues that are just begining to get sorted out and I think when that's all taken care of, I'll be happy, no matter what size, but hopefully thinner, otherwise no point in doing Go Lower..Weigh in later tonight. Fingers crossed.

xx

If you are looking for an exercise options, swimming is ideal as the water supports your weight, reducing the stress on joints etc

I've just started swimming again and really enjoying it

Happy-so glad you're on my side, posting that I was dead scared of getting a slandering lol. I too seem to think that I'm not so bad somehow, even when I'm a good 40lbs overweight. What's that all about?

Peachy - it must be because we don't want to believe what we see....We know we're fat, obese, whatever, but I don't want to think that I'm as fat as everyone else, because I'm far too sensible to have let myself slip, that's what happens to everyone else, lazy, smelly people. The fact is, that is soooo not true, but I don't want to believe it...Does that make sense?!?

xx

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Living in denial makes it an easier pill to swallow you know? Gosh, when I've lost the weight, I hope I still won't be like that cos I'm not proud of it. I just think I do it because I'm overweight myself but hopefully by then, I'll be mature and understanding enough to feel for them and not judge.

I agree Peachy. I don't want to judge. I know how awful it is to be overweight and how hard it is too loose weight and to keep it off. One day when I'm thin, I hope to be understanding of those less fortunate not to have lost weight - how patronizing does that sound, but definitely is not meant to sound like that - hope you know what I mean in a caring type of way?!

I hope that I also do see myself as slimmer (one day) otherwise all this hard work will have been in vain!

xx

It is patronising but I think we're not the only ones doing it or thinking like that. It's a bit snobby in a way, like I'll be like ugh, those people eating a huge greasy meal at Burger King, but then if I'm feeling sad, I'll have two slices of cheesecake by myself. Only difference is mine isn't/wasn't public.. maybe those people are more accepting of who they are?

There's some deep stuff in there for sure.

Same here :) As long as we stick to it!

Peachy and hchappy - I'll admit to the comparing myself to others thing too! Silm and those who are at least my size. I think that's why I feel so concious about how I look when I go out!
I would eat more in private - or some days if I was feeling bad spread out through the day when different people where around (e.g big snack just before lunch with friends at uni, then lunch when I got home with the boyfriend :S), basically just constantly graze!

It's a relief to know I don't have to binge like that now, and more so to know that I don't want to!

It's great isn't it? I love not binging anymore, and not getting those intense feelings and not feeling in control. They all seem to have disappeared now, yipee!

I was terrible last night and ate 2 choc bars and an icecream. I'm dreading getting on the scales monday, but I've just ignored it and got back to the diet today. I suppose I must be improving if I think of that as a binge because not so long ago that was a normal evening. I woke up with a cracking headache too - maybe all that sugar that I'm no longer used to.

Tracey

tarotwoman - that doesn't sound too bad to me! Especially because you got right back on track.
I felt a bit bad the other day because I had fish from the chippy (an occasional treat) but the bf got me chips as well, I couldn't resit a fair few (although no more than 1/3 of the small portion and that itself is a billion times better than I used to be). But then I realised that I don't do that everyday anymore so it's OK.
Everyone has few days where they eat a bit more than they needed to! :) Ultimately it would be a shame if you could never enjoy food at all.

Tracey-don't worry about it, be good for the rest of the week, I'm sure you'll be fine!

Sugar-I know, isn't it funny what we now find terrible but we used to do so much worse and that was just normal? Funny how things change...

Breadbin- *throwing some your way* :p

Everyone, we must remember that we need to enjoy our food as well. We are allowed to eat, just not all the time. Everything in proportion and then there is no problem. I also used to eat, not 1 or 2 bars of chocolate, a packet of crisps and then a perhaps a kids lolly pop...now the thought of doing that makes me feel phyiscally sick. No idea how I used to eat it all and kid myself that it doesn't matter...! Now if I eat just a small bar of chocolate, I know that's all I'll eat and better still, I don't want anything else. Lets hope this will continue forever more, as I def do not want to go back to that other person....

Good luck one and all, and keep motivated.

xx

Back