A free-for-all Christmas prep diary, all food and non-food musings welcome!

I would have to have turkey as well as beef if dh decided he wanted Beef for Christmas dinner. I love turkey. we have bread sauce, apple sauce, pigs in blankets (for ds2) carrot , turnip, parsnips, roast tatties, gravy and yorkshire puds. I always put boursin cheese under the skin over the breast of the turkey, its devine

Mmmm lovely Cathy. We have pigs in blankets too and i make the family traditional rice stuffing for my mum and brothers. I also do stuffing and stuffing wrapped in bacon. I got the idea from m&s a few years ago. Its lovely. And dont forget the red cabbage and chestnuts! See my plates arent overflowing but i always make far far too much. You never know who will come knocking on the stable door in the evening and i like to be prepared. If not it will keep

Mmmm I like the sound of the stuffing in bacon and of the boursin in the turkey - I could do that now with my chickens.

Mark likes his med/rare. I like mine med. Mum likes hers med/well done so does 1 of my brothers and sil and other brother like it well done! Oh and friend chris if he shows will only eat it blue!

aaah the English shoe leather beef... hihi! Vicky and I will keep away from yours on our tour of Britain over Christmas then!!

Love the sound of your dinners... I love sprouts! I'll be bringing a steamer over though cos otherwise they'll be waterlogged boiled offerings...

"English rare" isn't like French rare... I've sent mine back before (much to my Dad's horror...).

Mind you, I had to send my Dad's duck back before here, cos they serve it pink... and he wouldn't go there!

aaah the English shoe leather beef... hihi! Vicky and I will keep away from yours on our tour of Britain over Christmas then!!

Love the sound of your dinners... I love sprouts! I'll be bringing a steamer over though cos otherwise they'll be waterlogged boiled offerings...

My late MIL used to massacre her beef - cooked it for hours and then served it up in slices about half an inch thick - it really was like chewing stringy leather!

How about "Christmas disasters"... anyone had any?

I admit to getting rather stressed on Christmas morning... even with all the preparation in the world, in someone else's kitchen without one's own equipment and oven, it can all get a bit much...

And one Christmas morning, from the kitchen, I overheard my Dad's girlfriend exclaim: "it's only a roast!!". <she was lucky her turkey wasn't laced with arsenic that year!>

Anyway, the next year it was her turn... very calm was she, indeed... her table was gorgeous... drinks and nibbles were ready... her hostess trolley was loaded when we arrived (a good hour or more before eating), the veg dishes had cling film on (it's now a family joke), and at 2pm, my Dad brought her turkey in, we all admired and photographed... and OH started carving and... it wasn't cooked through!

My then 95 year old grandmother promptly opened a bar of chocolate, at the table, and started eating it. <another family joke we trot out regularly!>

and you guys? all calm in the kitchen say, an hour away from dishing up, and everything's on the go, yet something isn't quite ready and the oven needs to be turned up, bla bla... and someone says "can we open presents now?", and others are filling their faces with peanuts, grrrrrr, and someone's opened a window in the HOT kitchen and the gas has gone out under the Christmas pudding...!

Pmsl. No Sarah no beefy cuts for main xmas dinner. And sorry to disappoint Jo no disasters at all. Even get time to go to the pub and village green on xmas eve for carols around the tree. The village gets shut off for a hour so we have room to do it. Its quite calm in this house.

Pmsl. No Sarah no beefy cuts for main xmas dinner. And sorry to disappoint Jo no disasters at all. Even get time to go to the pub and village green on xmas eve for carols around the tree. The village gets shut off for a hour so we have room to do it. Its quite calm in this house.

I know someone who boils all their veg for about 4 hours then serves it all mashed with butter, and also this person has to put bicarb in all the pans to stop the veg from going grey from where it has had all the colour boiled out of it.

Ewww im sooooo not going there! Veg is preped the night before and put in steamer approx 10mins before everything else is ready. NO soggy sprouts in this house. Omg i sound like delia!!

woah that's extreme manda....

Cheryl is it calm because you're organised? and are you naturally organised? or did you get there because of your job/shiftwork? :)

I'm in awe hun x

Back