A free-for-all Christmas prep diary, all food and non-food musings welcome!

I want the recipie for Smotaboller?a(sp) if anyone can translate one they come across could be in German or Flemish my nan gave me a copy years ago but ive lost it very fattening but so wintery

I want the recipie for Smotaboller?a(sp) if anyone can translate one they come across could be in German or Flemish my nan gave me a copy years ago but ive lost it very fattening but so wintery

Sorry I can't recognize that at all - it seems to be Flemish/Dutch though. ... boller yes, but the first word looks a bit garbled.

What were they like?

Thanks Anja - and I'll weigh the honey and use the dough hook (great tip, I'd guessed it would be sticky). I presume that maturing them will make them really hard? I think I'll definitely use half (or even a quarter) of the amounts as if they are to be very hard, I won't dare give any to husband's parents (in case they break their teeth). Plus, not all the kids will eat spicy biscuits (amazing, since they are all sugar fiends) which would mean that I have to eat them (I LOVE any spices and the German Lidl Christmas things are all lovely - not bought any this year though;)).

So, I'll let you know how it goes!:D

Laura,

the dough will be firm, but sticky still, so I did use a sprinkling of flour on the rolling pin, and DD1 needed help rolling it out it was too firm. After baking they are hard-ish depending on how long you bake them and how big & thick you've made them - I baked about 13 mins @ 180C Fan, and they were edibly soft, with crunchy edges. Putting Lebkuchen away in tins for a few days / weeks is normally to make them soften as they are very hard when first baked. These ones are soft or will soften very soon, good for toothless people :) the putting away also allows the flavour to develop properly. I sellotaped my tins to avoid temptation!
But I baked the next lots of fruit & nut (chocolate, Apricot & Almond and Raisin and cinnamon) cookies today so I had to test one (or two!!) each of those too :eek: Hope they'll be cold soon so I can put them away too!

Sorry I can't recognize that at all - it seems to be Flemish/Dutch though. ... boller yes, but the first word looks a bit garbled.

What were they like?
there like little donut balls filled with apple i think and they were sold on the Belgian markets
ok ive found one now spelling was a bit out mmmm wont make them till xmas i dont think and im sure they use a different oil in Belgium

Smoutebollen | Little Glutton, Belgian recipes

Laura,

the dough will be firm, but sticky still, so I did use a sprinkling of flour on the rolling pin, and DD1 needed help rolling it out it was too firm. After baking they are hard-ish depending on how long you bake them and how big & thick you've made them - I baked about 13 mins @ 180C Fan, and they were edibly soft, with crunchy edges. Putting Lebkuchen away in tins for a few days / weeks is normally to make them soften as they are very hard when first baked. These ones are soft or will soften very soon, good for toothless people :) the putting away also allows the flavour to develop properly. I sellotaped my tins to avoid temptation!
But I baked the next lots of fruit & nut (chocolate, Apricot & Almond and Raisin and cinnamon) cookies today so I had to test one (or two!!) each of those too :eek: Hope they'll be cold soon so I can put them away too!

Thanks, Anja. I've got it all typed out in French now (with half quantities) with a bit of guessing for the method (but as I make biscuits regularly, I think I'll manage) and will make on Wednesday when there's no school for the younger two (hence doing it in French so that I just have to supervise).

So, trip to the supermarket for me tomorrow! Must remember to get skimmed milk powder for the caramel jam too - forgot last week.

Well, I've bought a jar of Mincemeat now - when my in-laws come my MIL likes to make mince pies so it's her job at my house too :) - I have never tried as DH does not like them.

On the preparation front, 4 lots of baking done: the Lebkuchen at the weekend, the refrigerator ones on Sunday / Monday (choc / apricot / almond and cinnamon / raisin) and the vanilla ones Tuesday night. Packed the first set up ready for posting out to my sister (reminds me I need to prepare the parcel RIGHT NOW to go to the post office!)

If anyone needs to make lots of biscuits in a hurry I can recommend using a biscuit press! I had them in the oven in 30 mins and they look so professional too!
Example:
Cookie / Biscuit Press - de Cuisine.co.uk

Mine is inherited, all made of metal, about 30 years old, I remember my parents buying it on a trip to Eindhoven (NL)

Not done the Christmas biscuits yet:eek: but got sidetracked on Wednesday morning and I really want to do them with the kids. Still, next Wednesday will be December so I'll be happier with the 'Christmas talk' from the children then too!

On the present front, just waiting on delivery of MP4 and we're all set, except that daughter has now decided she doesn't want either the goldfish (yippee) or the game (which was second choice) but a stereo for her bedroom. So, that will get done tomorrow by husband (he does the gadget/electricals shopping as I know nothing and have no interest in learning;)) and the presents are done and dusted.

Need to write cards/letters this weekend, then that will give me all my time for baking.

Presents to be wrapped later...

How is everyone else getting on?

I am going to make those pin wheel things for a christmas fair on wednesday, Peter (ds1) made them a couple of yrs ago aat school they are gorgeous, so they should go down well.
I need to get cards, but havent seen any I like yet. But there should be some charity ones at the big Christmas fair next weekend I will get them there. Oh also need wrapping paper then I can wrap the stocking stuff and put it in bags ready for the big 'eve'

Cards - tick! Presents - nearly done (thanks to my sister sorting my Dad and herself out for me!!!)... but no cooking yet... might wait until 24th for that (except for cake with the other half is doing)

I am soooo behind you organised people, have a few presents for family but know what I'm getting, eldest son wants money but will get extras for him, had bad day with notebook and tesco yesterday but as always I will get there oh and I am in the middle of tiling my kitchen floor before re varnishing the wooden floor then giving all the walls a lick of paint that is in between shuttling my daughter too her numerous Hockey games....should be done by .....xmas 2011 LOl

Last edited:
I had ordered an e reader for my Son from HMV at a really good price ebcasue he keeps pinching mine - and they have cancelled my order saying my item has been discontinued.....they only have it available in pink...........I know he's colour blind, but......

my eldest is colour blind too, quite funny at times bless always get the mam do these go together? lol

What is an e-reader?

I envy you all! We don´t have much Christmas atmosphere here in Southern Spain. My hubby is Norwegian (I am Irish) and we usually do a Yulebord a few days before Christmas, but this year some of our closest friends have given up on Spain and gone "home" so we are less inclined to do it this year.

However, 3 of my 4 kids and 3 of my 4 Grandkids are coming over on 4th Dec so I will have a hectic week then. With 2 birthdays to celebrate as well - mine on 11th Dec and my Daughter-in-law on the 10th.

Geraldine

m-mouse - Have you tried the Amazon Kindle? I did have a Sony e-reader, but the new Kindle is so much better. The wi-fi one is £109 and the 3G and wi-fi version is £149. It downloads the books direct to your reader, no read for a PC - perfect especially for when you're on your hols.

I reckon he'd love it.

my eldest is colour blind too, quite funny at times bless always get the mam do these go together? lol

What is an e-reader?

It is an electronic book reader; you download books onto it and it can hold hundreds of books. He reads so much adnd we are always buying him books, but I have one and I haven't bought a book for ages becasue you can borrow them from the library, all from the comfort of your PC!

What part of Wales are you from? We are off up there tonight.

We too have had many funny colour blind moments:D

From Port Talbot near Swansea, where are you going to? re the e-reader can you down load this to your pc?saying that it wouldn't be like holding a book then.

m-mouse - Have you tried the Amazon Kindle? I did have a Sony e-reader, but the new Kindle is so much better. The wi-fi one is £109 and the 3G and wi-fi version is £149. It downloads the books direct to your reader, no read for a PC - perfect especially for when you're on your hols.

I reckon he'd love it.

I would do that, but my friend has just got one and she is really disappointed because she can't download the free library books onto it because it is incompatible and not supported by Overdrive software.

From Port Talbot near Swansea, where are you going to? re the e-reader can you down load this to your pc?saying that it wouldn't be like holding a book then.

You could download the books to your pc - in fact that is what you do and then transfer them to your reader, but it is the portability that is good - I use mine on the train.

We are off to good old Swansea. See you around - I'm the fat one:D

You could download the books to your pc - in fact that is what you do and then transfer them to your reader, but it is the portability that is good - I use mine on the train.

We are off to good old Swansea. See you around - I'm the fat one:D

oooooo you can wave across the water to me in Ilfy !!!!

Back