A Graceful Descent

ah no - this isn't totm stomach cramps. Most definitely I have either picked up a bug or I really shouldn't have eaten whatever it was I ate type cramps ;)

Its not helping that I have the normal totm cramps on top though and that's possibly why my stomach is so tender and bloated maybe.

One of the ladies at my meeting last night I was talking to then mentioned she had had a stomach bug that week - its too quick for me to have picked it up from her I'm guessing, even for me with a dodgy immune system, but I'm wondering if it means there is a bug going round and my guess would be that is the culprit.

Oh well - I'm thinking of all the extra weight I'm hopefully losing and might even go to bed in a minute and think of the extra sleep as a bonus as well ;)

so I missed my seminar - I fell asleep about 10pm last night and didn't wake up until the cat got me up at 6am to let her out. I was absolutely drenched in sweat but shivering so decided it is probably some kind of bug and turned my alarm off. I worked on the theory that if I woke up in time to go then I would but if I didn't then I needed the sleep ... I woke up at 9.30.

I've had a smoothie this morning which has stayed put without putting too much strain on my stomach but I feel rough as all hell still so I'm spending today curled up on the sofa under a blanket with the cat curled up asleep next to me (I'm guessing its cold outside then lol) catching up on old movies.

The good news is I've put on my linen trousers as they aren't so uncomfortable on my stomach as jeans and I dug out French Connection jumper that I've not been able to wear pretty much since I got it in the sale over a year ago - its quite short and clings a bit and I think its probably a size 12-14 but can't remember. Well now I can wear it :) I need to put a long sleeved top underneath as it feels more like a cotton jumper than a thick wooly one and I'm freezing today but I'm just happy that I can wear it. Not sure I'd put my jeans on with it just yet as it doesn't cover my belly but skirts and my smarter trousers it works with and as I lose more and get back into my old jeans I know it'll look great with them so there's an incentive :)

I also read about the Beck Diet Solution on Breda's diary page and I'm tempted to look into that. I'm still researching it but it looks like it basically helps get your brain re-trained so you stop thinking of yourself as a bigger person and behaving in that way. I know that I eat healthily pretty much and I don't have a problem sticking with the diet but I also know how easily I get discouraged with it all and then either don't eat properly (as in not enough) or become almost too angelic on it which doesn't work either. I am absolutely certain that doing Cambridge totally messed up my relationship with food and I still find it difficult to allow myself to eat "normal" food or not feel guilty if I eat something that isn't 100% perfect and its time that stopped. I've spent far too many years being judged on my weight and that slowly creeps into your brain bit by bit over the years - no matter how much I know that the weight gain was due to my thyroid and the docs getting the meds wrong at the same time it means I've been dieting and feeling guilty over food and my figure for far too many years. Definitely time for that to change - I do not want to spend my 40s feeling the same way I did in my 20s and 30s and a BIG part of WWs this time has been me feeling like I'm taking control of my life again. That has slipped a little bit the last couple of weeks and I do believe that sometimes I sabotage my own weight loss by not having my head in the right place and being unable to picture myself getting below a certain point - not sabotage by what I eat but I get to certain spots where I seem to "stick" there and I do believe that sometimes subconsciously its almost a bizarre fear of failing that stops you from going below that level as you cling on to it too much.

I have no idea if any of that makes sense but I am thinking its time to get the psychological side sorted and maybe this book might be a step in the right direction. I know that I always become refocused and better motivated when I've stayed for meetings as my leader does seem to get straight into my brain each week and gets me thinking about what I'm doing and why. Its the BIG difference between doing it this time and what I've done in the past and its why I WILL succeed this time.

Right that's today's positive message over and done with ;) The diet plan is as follows (no idea what will actually happen though as depends on what my stomach decides)

Breakfast = 3pps

Mullerlight yoghurt (2)
Mandarin segments (0)
Banana (0)
Flax oil (1)

Lunch = 8pps
Potato (2)
Sweetcorn (1)
Low fat feta cheese (5)
Salad (0)
Beetroot (0)
Fruit pastille ice lolly (2)

Dinner = 9 pps

Morrison's creamy vegetable soup (6)
Gluten free crispbreads (3)

General = 3pps

Milk for tea etc (3)

Total = 25/31

I'm not sure the stuff for lunch is the best idea but it needs using up so I'm going to see what happens.

With any luck my stomach will settle today and I'll be back to normal and back at work tomorrow. Keeping everything crossed :)

Mifford said:
so I missed my seminar - I fell asleep about 10pm last night and didn't wake up until the cat got me up at 6am to let her out. I was absolutely drenched in sweat but shivering so decided it is probably some kind of bug and turned my alarm off. I worked on the theory that if I woke up in time to go then I would but if I didn't then I needed the sleep ... I woke up at 9.30.

I've had a smoothie this morning which has stayed put without putting too much strain on my stomach but I feel rough as all hell still so I'm spending today curled up on the sofa under a blanket with the cat curled up asleep next to me (I'm guessing its cold outside then lol) catching up on old movies.

The good news is I've put on my linen trousers as they aren't so uncomfortable on my stomach as jeans and I dug out French Connection jumper that I've not been able to wear pretty much since I got it in the sale over a year ago - its quite short and clings a bit and I think its probably a size 12-14 but can't remember. Well now I can wear it :) I need to put a long sleeved top underneath as it feels more like a cotton jumper than a thick wooly one and I'm freezing today but I'm just happy that I can wear it. Not sure I'd put my jeans on with it just yet as it doesn't cover my belly but skirts and my smarter trousers it works with and as I lose more and get back into my old jeans I know it'll look great with them so there's an incentive :)

I also read about the Beck Diet Solution on Breda's diary page and I'm tempted to look into that. I'm still researching it but it looks like it basically helps get your brain re-trained so you stop thinking of yourself as a bigger person and behaving in that way. I know that I eat healthily pretty much and I don't have a problem sticking with the diet but I also know how easily I get discouraged with it all and then either don't eat properly (as in not enough) or become almost too angelic on it which doesn't work either. I am absolutely certain that doing Cambridge totally messed up my relationship with food and I still find it difficult to allow myself to eat "normal" food or not feel guilty if I eat something that isn't 100% perfect and its time that stopped. I've spent far too many years being judged on my weight and that slowly creeps into your brain bit by bit over the years - no matter how much I know that the weight gain was due to my thyroid and the docs getting the meds wrong at the same time it means I've been dieting and feeling guilty over food and my figure for far too many years. Definitely time for that to change - I do not want to spend my 40s feeling the same way I did in my 20s and 30s and a BIG part of WWs this time has been me feeling like I'm taking control of my life again. That has slipped a little bit the last couple of weeks and I do believe that sometimes I sabotage my own weight loss by not having my head in the right place and being unable to picture myself getting below a certain point - not sabotage by what I eat but I get to certain spots where I seem to "stick" there and I do believe that sometimes subconsciously its almost a bizarre fear of failing that stops you from going below that level as you cling on to it too much.

I have no idea if any of that makes sense but I am thinking its time to get the psychological side sorted and maybe this book might be a step in the right direction. I know that I always become refocused and better motivated when I've stayed for meetings as my leader does seem to get straight into my brain each week and gets me thinking about what I'm doing and why. Its the BIG difference between doing it this time and what I've done in the past and its why I WILL succeed this time.

Right that's today's positive message over and done with ;) The diet plan is as follows (no idea what will actually happen though as depends on what my stomach decides)

Breakfast = 3pps

Mullerlight yoghurt (2)
Mandarin segments (0)
Banana (0)
Flax oil (1)

Lunch = 8pps
Potato (2)
Sweetcorn (1)
Low fat feta cheese (5)
Salad (0)
Beetroot (0)
Fruit pastille ice lolly (2)

Dinner = 9 pps

Morrison's creamy vegetable soup (6)
Gluten free crispbreads (3)

General = 3pps

Milk for tea etc (3)

Total = 25/31

I'm not sure the stuff for lunch is the best idea but it needs using up so I'm going to see what happens.

With any luck my stomach will settle today and I'll be back to normal and back at work tomorrow. Keeping everything crossed :)

Hope it's a bug & passes soon hun, sounds horrid :(
Congrats on fitting into those clothes though - must feel great :)
It's good that you can manage the smoothies - at least you'll still be replacing your vitamins :)
I've not heard of that book, anything that helps you understand your mindset & relationship with food sounds helpful though, let us know if it's a good read!

CGx
Sent from my HTC Wildfire using MiniMins

ooo I just finished posting on your diary as well lol

I've ordered the book from Amazon - I'm quite looking forward to seeing what it has to say. From bits I've found online it looks like it is basically just common sense and reinforces stuff that WW teaches anyway but I think it'll help to just keep drumming the positive thinking into my head in order to keep the negative away. I always struggle with diets thinking this is it for good rather than I get to a point and think that's ok I'm done now. Sounds stupid but my brain has never got with the idea that once I reach a particular weight I have to stick to what I've been doing to stay there! Its not exactly a difficult concept so you think it would be easy right? lol

So smoothie stayed put, lunch I abandoned the lettuce but ate everything else - my stomach has been complaining about it all afternoon but it has at least stayed put. Just dinner to get through and maybe get another early night and then hopefully tomorrow will be heading back to normal.

In the meantime I've cancelled the dentist tomorrow because no matter how much better I feel I can't see me feeling up to having sharp instruments shoved into my mouth :)

My positive spins for today (my all new thing)...

1. Sticking to trying to eat and pointing even when I don't want to eat anything

2. Not worrying about if I reach my full daily points or not

3. Getting into my skinnier clothes and not worrying about whether they totally cover my stomach or not. Accepting that although my stomach isn't flat in it it doesn't look too bad and being happy with the positives rather than concentrating on the negatives :)

Hi Miff . Sorry to hear you have been feeling miserable . nothing worse than a stomach bug !!! . Hope you feel better soon . :wave_cry:

aww thanks Breda. I'm hoping my stomach is finally starting to settle tonight. I managed to eat 3/4 of the soup so will have the rest for lunch tomorrow and my stomach hasn't been gurgling anywhere near so much and I've been a lot less nauseous afterwards. Although I must admit that I then decided to have a weight watchers toffee bar as I fancied something sweet .... and ended up eating 4 of them!

By the time I've adjusted my points today for what I actually ended up eating though I've still only used 29 of my 31 points today so that's not a problem - and I'm guessing that as my stomach was so empty from yesterday its probably a good sign that I finally needed to fill it this evening.

I'm beginning to wonder whether maybe the microwave meal that I had Tuesday evening had garlic hidden in it somewhere - I don't know why it didn't occur to me before now but this is pretty much what my stomach does when I've had garlic. I'm guessing if so its a small amount as I wasn't violently sick and doubled up in pain - if there's a lot and I don't know its there it makes me sooooo ill its insane. Unfortunately nowdays its getting hidden in more and more stuff and chicken and mushroom risotto I didn't even think to check as I wouldn't expect it to be in there. I really should know better though. I may have to try and dig the box out of the bin if I can and have a look.

not only garlic but loads of wheat and gluten as well - I could possibly have got away with one but not both. :sign0137: I can't believe I didn't check - I think I'll be double checking what is in the Morrisons soup I just ate as well as I'm now thinking I know the Sainsbury's version is all ok so never check it but it never occurred to me to double check the same stuff from Morrisons :brainfart:

Aww I'm sorry that the pesky garlic may have been the culprit! They do seem to put it in an awful lot of stuff, at least you know what set you off now.

Love your positive spin thing - I need to do that a lot more!

CGx
Sent from my HTC Wildfire using MiniMins

its why I don't usually eat preprepared meals - the amount of stuff in them that my body doesn't like its just so much easier for me to make stuff from scratch so I know what's in it and what isn't. I'm usually pretty good at scanning the back ingredients and learnt a long time a go that the higher up the list something appears the more of it is in the product. So I'm usually ok if garlic is down towards the end as it has very little in it - although it is a bit hit and miss. This one didn't have it at the start of the ingredients list but what I missed was one of the eary ingredients had an * and that was at the bottom including garlic. So there's me thinking it was right at the end of the listing so safe when in reality it was actually towards the top so probably had a lot more in it than I thought. It drives me nuts when they do that with packaging!

My goddaughter has it a lot worse - she's allergic to peanuts and basically food packaging now ALL say may contain nuts to cover themselves so she says its no use whatsoever to her because it means she either has to ignore it or never eat anything.

Anyway - I'm feeling an awful lot better today and just ate cereal for breakfast normally without any problems. I need to get my backside in gear to get some work done today but I'm definitely getting back towards normal now.

I'll come back later to do my food list thingy as I haven't worked out fully what I'm having today yet - it'll probably be the leftover soup from last night and I'm planning quinoa for dinner but I'll see how I feel by then :)

I may have spoken too soon lol Felt a lot better this morning but by lunchtime I had no appetite again and eating made me nauseous as hell again and although food is staying where it should the gurgling coming from my stomach is making me not trust that very much!

I finished work and took the post down the high street and by the time I got back I was sweating buckets and my head is spinning again - I've been really light headed all week and I've got yet another pounding headache.

Funnily I was talking to a client today and said sorry I hadn't rung them back yesterday as I'd eaten something that made me ill - they replied that at least I haven't got this stomach bug going round that her daughter caught then went on to describe exactly how I've been feeling. Hmmmm I'm thinking unsuspected garlic may not have helped but after 3 days I don't think its actually the culprit.

On the bright side I decided out of interest to see what the scales say this evening and if they are right I'm down 3lbs in 3 days!! :-o I can't believe that is the case but then again at the same time I've not eaten properly for 3 days now and I was sick all day Tuesday so I guess it's possible. I just hope that doesn't rebound straight back when whatever is going on with my stomach stops and I get back to eating again.

So anyway today's menu has ended up as...

Breakfast = 6pps

Gluten free cereal (3)
Milk + for tea (3)

Lunch = 8pps

4 x ryevita multigrain (4)
2 tablespoons philadelphia light (2)
Weight watchers toffee bar (2)

Dinner = 10pps

Remaining half pot of veggie soup (3)
Ryvita (3)
Philadelphia (2)
Weight watchers bar (2)

Total = 24/31

I have loads of really tasty looking fruit in my fridge at the moment ranging from plums to melon and there's veg in there slowly going off as well - I just don't dare risk anything that's going to make my stomach work harder right now so I guess in my fridge is where it will have to stay right now.

Today's positives ...

1. Managing to stay above 20 points even when I don't want to eat
2. Mid week weigh in looking good
3. Wearing my cropped jumper with my jeans, in public!, and being comfortable enough to not care what anyone else thinks

Hi Miff . Sorry to hear your tummy is still not feeling well . What a dose. well done for looking on the bright side hopefully it will have run its course soon.. great to be down a few pounds though and fitting in to your cropped jumper. :D

thanks Breda - hope your week is going well too.

So I slept in a bit this morning so feeling a lot better for it - I'm having a bit of a duvet day today and I'm still in my nightshirt although I have at least stuck a pair of jogging bottoms on underneath just in case anyone turns up. I got totally distracted this morning as well - I've been trying to work out what to do for my 40th at the end of October and had planned to go for afternoon tea in London with some girlfriends. There was something about it that I was just not really feeling though and didn't know why.

So this morning I had an email from one of my friends asking if I'd looked at a place called the Gravetye Manor Hotel about 45 minutes from here - I looked at it and fell in love! Its basically a big old English country house and I rang them to see what it is like and told them I'm looking for somewhere with big comfy sofas to sink into and open roaring fires so that I feel like I'm at home with my girlfriends but a bit more luxurious and with really nice cakes lol The girl on the phone totally got what I meant and has promised me that it fits into the picture perfectly - I was asking if it is quite stuffy sat at proper tables and she assured me its the exact opposite. Its very smart and has the slight pamper feel to it - no jeans and t-shirts etc - but its very much open fires with a sofa in the lounge or bar where we can have a girly afternoon without a problem. I pointed out that I'm planning on wearing a tiara and she LOVED that idea - she promised me that I wouldn't feel uncomfortable doing that and if it made me feel more welcomed she would wear one too hahahahaha They were so good on the phone that I booked it there and then.

Unfortunately it means I've had nothing but a cup of tea so far today and having spent hours on the internet researching afternoon tea venues and menus I'm now drooling and really hungry lol

So I know that I have pork stir fry for dinner with egg noodles but not a clue what I've got planned the rest of the day so will come back and update later if I remember :)

Today's positives:-

1. I finally made a decision and booked my birthday after months of being ridiculously indecisive.

2. Slept in and spending the day relaxing without feeling guilty and thinking I should be doing something.

3. Continuing to look at the positives instead of the negatives and moving forward towards my goal :)

ooo - and even more perfect - one of my friends just text me back to say she is happy to fit as many as she can in her 7 seater so we only need a couple of cars and that it is the awesome free fireworks display in her village that evening (its always really good so would go anyway) and we are all welcome to go from hers if we want to. I don't know what anyone else has planned but the idea of going for afternoon tea in a mansion dressed up a la Grace Kelly (I have an appointment to have my hair done that morning and will be having a little tiara/headband fitted) and then going from there to stick on my wellies under my dress and stick on a jumper and coat over the top to go and watch fireworks while wearing a tiara actually REALLY appeals to me - it sounds like my absolutely perfect day!!! I LOVE it :)

Hope ur tummy is feeling better hun! I like the idea of 3 positives a day :) it's nice x

I honestly have no idea what my stomach is doing to be honest - its actually been physically ok since Wednesday but every time I eat anything I'm getting stomach cramps and it is making the most bizarre gurgling noise. I've got no real appetite either and just don't really want to eat so all very odd. Got another headache this afternoon and knackered again as well. On the bright side at least if I'm eating I am ok so now I've just got to get back into some kind of routine and start eating a bit more again and hope it settles.

I ended up not eating anything until 2.30 today and even then didn't want anything so being sensible I made a mega smoothie with half a big tub of bio yogurt (the probiotics should be good if nothing else), a tin of pineapple which I used the juice as well to increase my points and then added in a couple of teaspoons of peanut butter. I've also had an Weight Watchers orange whip bar thing as well - didn't really enjoy it that much though so might get different ones at my meeting this week.

I'm about to make myself a pork and vegetable stir fry - I'm debating whether to add the noodles in or not but think I might see how I feel once I've chopped everything up.

I'm not worrying about counting my points today but totting them up roughly I think I'm at around the 25 level if I have the noodles so still not too bad - hopefully enough to stop my body going into the mode where it stores weight instead of losing and enough to keep me going without making me feel sick again.

Keeping my fingers crossed

That sounds like a great birthday idea Miff . You are only 40 once .Live for the day is my motto at the moment !!!.

Having a good week so far . back on track TG . I feel so much better when I dont eat crap.

Sorry to hear your stomach is still giving you problems . Its probably just a little raw after the Bug and getting sick. Eat lightly and nothing too rich and hopefully it will stop gurgling .

Hope ur tummy has settled :( hugs xx

so far today I think the gurgling has eased off - finally! we'll see if it stays that way by the end of the day.

Breda I very much agree that life should be lived for today - oddly as I read your post I'm just watching the ceremony from Ground Zero and there couldn't be a stronger reminder that life is too short.

Anyway, today's menu is a bit erratic again - it seems to go that way on weekends at the moment! I missed breakfast so had brunch instead so today has been scrambled egg on toast and a weight watchers bar. Dinner will be chicken stuffed with philadelphia and wrapped in parma ham with roasted butternut squash and various veggies and a few Aunt Bessie's roast potatoes ... at least that's the plan.

Today's positives...

1. Not losing my temper with my nan on the phone this morning when she told me that she isn't asking how I'm getting on with WW because she knows I won't stick to it! Instead I took a deep breath and reminded myself that other people's opinions are not why I am doing this and are irrelevant in me reaching my goal and that I will not be sidetracked by them.

2. Keeping my points tracker going even when I'm not being organised.

3. Remembering that life is too short and to live each day as it comes - there's far more important things in life than worrying about the size of my belly

Hey miff. Glad your tummy is feeling a bit better. Stomach bugs can be hard to get rid of once they take hold. You really have great patience with your nan . Very positive reaction by not letting it get to you. at the end of the day does it really matter what other people think of us. Whats important is why we want to do this for ourselves. Our health,self esteem etc.

I love the idea of writing down the three positives of the day. We always seem to focus on the negative dont we.

I didnt go for my walk today
instead of
I kept my tracker 100% today

Think I will do this too. You could have started a trend Miff. !!!!!

Back