A moan about tasters!

At my group it's a case of round up the usual suspects on taster mornings too. There's no excuse not to take something - even if that's a bottle of diet drink, some chopped up fruit or some low syn snacks. I usually don't cook for them but always take something along just to show willing. It is demoralising when other people don't bother though.

Oh goodness me, I didn't know about tasters yet! Now I'm both a)not really wanting to win slimmer of the week as most of the prizes have gluten in so I can't eat them b)anxious about tasters! Thing is with coeliac people often say something is fine but they don't understand how serious it is and how much gluten is in a normal kitchen, and then they'll think im rude if theyve made a special effort and...and...argh!! I hate coeliac! stupid disease /rantover!!

Just say you have an allergy so can't eat it. I'm sure noone will mind and if you ever win SOTW, accept the sticker and be proud then go through and hand out the things which you can't have, again explaining its an allergy. I'm sure everyone would understand :)

Liz don't let it put you off, its the people that make and take stuff that keep others going and give them ideas . If it wasn't for the likes of those that make the effort maybe lots would have given up by now. So I say its thanks to us, that make the classes what they are. Caring and sharing places :) If you can inspire just 1 person then its worthwhile

Boots - dont panic :) If you stay for the meeting it may be worthwhile mentioning in class that you have coeliacs and that you have to be careful about what you eat, then maybe your consultant could suggest a taster session for the likes of yourself and ask others to come up with alternate ideas for meals/snacks. By doing this you will have mentioned what you can and cant have - giving others food for thought

We had one once and some brought some sausage rolls, SAUSAGE BLOODY ROLLS i think they do it to wind people up. If i ran the group they would be kicked out and the sausage rolls thrown in the bin.

I'm not saying that you have to make a 3 course meal lol but anyone can bring something. At our group this morning there was my pasta dish, some chicken tikka, meatballs, chilli , a mousse and some couscous cake and that was it. Nothing for vegis - having said that, the only vegi there didnt bring anything! There was I reckon 3 times the amount of people there to dishes and I just thought it was a shame. I am always experimetning with food and love to share what i have made but this morning has put me off to be honest x

What time is your WI? I always think tasters must be awkward in the morning.

Our tasters aren't too bad to be honest, I always try to bring something and yeah it is the same people who tend to bring things and then an odd couple here and there who sometimes bring something, but there is always plenty for people to try, in fact just enough that there isn't too much wasted. I hate tasters though as I worry about what to take as soon as I know there's one coming up... we have one in a couple of weeks and I'm already fretting

We had one once and some brought some sausage rolls, SAUSAGE BLOODY ROLLS i think they do it to wind people up. If i ran the group they would be kicked out and the sausage rolls thrown in the bin.

That's just plain stupid, did your consultant leave them out?

Boots - dont panic :) If you stay for the meeting it may be worthwhile mentioning in class that you have coeliacs and that you have to be careful about what you eat, then maybe your consultant could suggest a taster session for the likes of yourself and ask others to come up with alternate ideas for meals/snacks. By doing this you will have mentioned what you can and cant have - giving others food for thought

What a great idea x

someone once brought lettuce leaves wrapped round carrot batons and secured with a cocktail stick lol! Oh and another woman once put a tube of pringles in the SOTW fruit basket!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Remembered its Christmas theme so going to take pigs in blankets, and tortilla cut into canapé size

Last edited:
Ive found a crunchie bar in one of my SOTW bags. i took great pride in throwing it in the bin haha.

No our consultant didnt throw the sausage rolls away, if i remember right someone else put all the food out and it wasnt till after most of them had gone that it was mentioned.

Ive made small burgers on cocktail sticks, chicken and turkey tikka bits and 2 massive tubs of chicken and pasta. I always make loads of mine so that theres plenty left for myself haha.

I have to say I've tasted before and not brought. I leave for work (on the bus) at 8:30, work til 4:30 (no fridge available for storage) and then get straight on a bus to group. I don't pass anywhere in the 5 mins walk to the bus to pick anything up, and I *know* I can't go buying low syns crisps or something in advance because they'll get demolished. I do intend to bring something when there's a taster week that I'm not at work - but I'm a bit stuck otherwise. We've got a taster coming up in a few weeks and as ever I'll intend to do something, but real life gets in the way :(

Just managed to read P2 - I am lactose intolerant and therefore the tasting I do is limited, because I can't be too careful - but I have tried bits especially when the few people who stayed to class had acres of stuff to get through (mums used to cooking for 3+ I guess)

Some good ideas here.

We have a taster tomorrow night which I was a bit apprehensive about - I've been at SW since April but happen to have been on holiday both times we've had tasters so far, so this will be my first one. My problem is mainly that I go straight from work to SW, so whatever I bring I'm going to have to bring to work with me in the morning. I so wish I was coming from home as I have some lovely recipes I'd love to share. But this has given me a lot of inspiration - I'm sure I'll find something in the supermarket tonight that I can throw together! :)

Ive found a crunchie bar in one of my SOTW bags. i took great pride in throwing it in the bin haha.

No our consultant didnt throw the sausage rolls away, if i remember right someone else put all the food out and it wasnt till after most of them had gone that it was mentioned.

Ive made small burgers on cocktail sticks, chicken and turkey tikka bits and 2 massive tubs of chicken and pasta. I always make loads of mine so that theres plenty left for myself haha.

I would have synned the crunchie bar, but the sausage rolls at taster I wouldn't have touched, I'm surprised they went I don't think my group would eat them. Our consultant does go round the table asking who brought what and how they made it how many syns ect. before we dig in though so we're all aware of if we're eating any syns.

As for the pack of chocolate biscuits I just don't get some people. Sounds like theres a lot of groups with a bit of jealousy going on as far as SOTW is concerned. The past few weeks ours has just been filled with bananas as that seems to be what people bring for some reason :/ would have been great to see your consultant throw the biscuits though.

We've had sausage rolls made with free sausages or very low syn ones and rolled in flattened slices of thin wholemeal bread, sprayed and then baked. We've also had them done in filo pastry.

I guess it depends just how they were made.

Back