A quest for the old happy Em

Yay new readers, welcome ClairyFairy82 and Jilly and thank you both for your lovely comments, they really picked me up when I read them :)

I think you've probably got a point ClairyFairy82 in that going hard at the exercise all of a sudden can be building muscle which weighs more than fat, so maybe I'm getting more toned but the scales don't show a loss. I'm also going to be making the effort this week to drink my 2ltrs of water a day as your muscles use a lot and it can stop you losing weight if you don't drink enough when you up your exercise levels. I think I'll only fit in 3 gym sessions this week but compared to the 1 or 2 I was doing that's still good.

I have to admit to falling off the wagon last night after being good all day. My friend had an ice cream sundae when we went to Hungry Horse for drinks, and I had one too. Calorie wise I don't think I did too bad for the day but it just shows I'll still turn to food for comfort quite happily when I'm feeling down :-( We were both a bit down, me frustrated over my weight and her worrying about her husbands job being at risk, so we both felt we needed the chocolate fix! It does make my weight issues seem a bit trivial compared to her financial worries and made me think I really should be trying harder to save money while I can. We're waiting on news of our cost of living increase at work at the moment but that'll be an extra £30ish a month which is better than nothing :)

Back on the wagon today, gymed before work and did some weights even though my calves still ache from Wii cycling Saturday night!! Damn those elusive flags I had to keep hunting for - made me stay on it for far longer than I planned and my determination blocked out the 'ouch' signals from my legs to my brain. Must be what the biggest loser guys do. Still finding them really motivational. UK one tonight :)

Hi :)

Glad to help pick u up. Best that u do what suits ur body, u'll know better than anyone how it responds to change.

Dont be hard on urself for falling off the bandwagon every now and then (we all do it lol) so long as u give urself a slap on the wrist and get straight back on it.

Hope u see better results this week. Xx

Well I do need a serious slap on the wrists this morning. Can I get away with saying it was a Valentine's treat?! My boyfriend fancied a Chinese and as we both discussed on the weekend, we bring out the worst in eachother when it comes to our diet. If one says 'I fancy some Chinese/Indian/chips/pizza/chocolate' the other one caves in instantly and wants it too. Very occasionally one or other of us will be strong and say no but not very often unfortunately :-(

He's put on a bit of weight and isn't happy with that and he's just started snoring which I'm sure is connected so I'm getting a very disturbed nights sleep (which coupled with the thyroid means I'm wiped out right now, I need every precious minute of sleep I can get). So there's some serious incentive to try and be stronger willed and say no when we try and tempt eachother.

To be honest I was really in the mood for a Chinese too but when we got it and started eating I really didn't enjoy it all that much. Maybe it was the guilt!

Off to The Mall tonight to help a friend search for a new bathroom mirror and toilet roll holder etc for his new bathroom. I do love housey shopping :) Lots of walking hopefully and a quick visit to hobby craft to pick up some embroidery thread to finish a cross stitch project I've been working on....keeps my hands busy and away from food! I was so close, just doing the backstitch and ran out of thread, very frustrating. I've then got a very pretty cushion to make with a heart on it whith Love written in it. Should have tried to get it done as a valentines gift for the sofa....maybe for next year eh!?

I can Identify with the snoring issue. My husband has always snored so I wear ear plugs but because he is very restless at the moment so I get loads of disturbed nights. Hope that you have a good week. x

I snored badly back in Sept and woke up short of breath (apnea ? maybe) Never happens now though so presume it was weight related.

As for not enjoying takeout, I can relate to this as I have not enjoyed the last two indian meals Ive had just too oily. Still love the drier chicken dishes though.

Not complaining though we should be celebrating the fact that high fat isnt so desirable any more.

Enjoy the rest of the week x

Very true Jilly, it can only be a good thing. I did pat the chicken balls dry and maybe all the grease I mopped up with the kitchen roll served to put me off before I'd even started eating. I'm not sure I'll ever be one of these 'freaks' ;) who only eats rabbit food and doesn't see the appeal of a naughty meal out or chips. I don't have the same cravings or fondness for chocolate that I used to either - don't get me wrong, leave it in front of me and I'll scoff it down but I always feel like 'oh, well that wasn't as good as I'd thought it'd be'.

Last night I had a Yo Sushi so that wasn't too unhealthy (about 850cals to add to the 700ish I'd had through the day). Plenty of walking though, got my embroidery threads and had a lovely evening out.

I've booked a snowboarding lesson at the snow dome in Manchester for Monday so that'll be some decent exercise to burn off the weekends calories. I'm trying not to let it become a weekend of treats and naughty stuff because it's my birthday Sunday but you know how it is, everything becomes birthday week ratehr than just the actual day!

Far too good a weekend away thanks Jane :) We walked for about 8 hours round the Trafford Centre Saturday, another couple on Sunday as well as our snowboarding lesson Monday so plenty of exercise....but also plenty of food! Something like this:

Egg sandwich and crisps with a rocky road bar for an on the go tea Friday finished off with a panini at the hotel later on. Saturday was sweet and sour tofu, rice and some dim sum for starters, some salad in M&S with some bread for tea with an ice cream mid afternoon and a krispy kreme in the evening. Sunday was my birthday so pizza hut for lunch, krispy kreme for pud, egg sarnie and crisps for tea. Monday was a brownie before snow boarding, nachos and an enchilada for lunch, bit of cake in selfridges for pud and then home.

Now that's all quite naughty but seeing it written down sort of makes me feel ok as it could have been much much worse. I wasn't eating between meals much or having a big cooked breakfast or anything. But the worst meal was definitely the pizza, probably the whole days calories in one go there. Who am I kidding, a normal person might have got away with that with all the walking we did but I'm going to pork on 5lb!! I'm waiting to weigh this coming Sunday rather than do a mid week one.

I also had a doughnut yesterday when I brought them in for my birthday! Back to it today, been 100% so far, gymed yesterday, bought another SW cook book from the book club today for £6 (all free food recipes) and my friend gave me the everyday Italian cook book too for my birthday so I'll have lots of new things to try and cook.

We've booked another weekend to do some more beginners snow boarding classes at the end of April but hopefully we'll be a bit better food wise then. My boyfriend is now on a strict diet and brought home veg and stinky fish to steam for his tea tonight - gross. So I'll be disappearing upstairs with the doors shut and my strongest yankee candle to try and mask the stench. I suppose if I sniff it before I've eaten it'll be good for the diet because the mere hint of a fish smell and I want to be sick and it's about the only thing that quashes my appetite!

Welcome back EmmyLou. Glad you had a good time. I am sure that you will be able to make a difference by the time you WI on Sunday. Good luck and hope that you have a good weekend. x

STS this week so I'm actually really pleased with that. Could have been much worse what with enjoying a weekend away and only managing one gym session.

Back on with it this week, gyming and weights as I can feel my arm muscles shrinking after 2 slack weeks :-(

Well done EmmyLou! That is quite an achievement considering that you have been away. You must be delighted.
Good luck with the rest of your week.x

I've been a total slacker this week Jane so I've been avoiding 'fessing up! You caught me :)

Well I've not gone wildly off plan, just not really been super strict. I've also been suffering with the * week from hell thanks to my pcos rearing it's increasingly large ugly head. Think the pill is well and truly out of my system now as the last two visits have been torture like they always used to be before I went on the pill. So any weight gain, chocolate cravings and my avoiding the gym are all being blamed firmly on that! It was like having flu with all my muscles aching, almost fainting and feeling very sorry for myself indeed :-(

Perked up a bit today though and I'm off dry slope skiing after work with a few from the office which will burn off calories and be a well needed bit of fresh air.

The weekend is planned out as food shopping, cleaning, a trip to Harvester and more cleaning :) I have to plan what to cook for 7 for Mother's day in a few weeks too. Never cooked for so many and how we're all going to fit in the shoebox I live in I don't know....but it is Mother's day and I felt it was polite to invite Mum, Nan and her sister over.

Tried a new recipe in the week from the Free Foods SW recipe book I got from the book club at work. Egg curry. Really simple to make, fairly quick and I do love eggs! So that'll be on the rotation list of suitable meals for my OH too.

Sorry that you have been feeling horrid EmmyLou, hope that you have a better week this week. x

Eek, been away from here for a bit and it's not been good! Last week I actually lost half a pound but this week I put on 1.6lb so feeling very chunky at the moment as I can feel I've put weight back on....getting very close to those 'trousers of shame' in the wardrobe again (the ones that are the next size up from my usual trousers which I kept just in case).

My reason? well I wish I was one of those people that stopped eating when they got stressed....with me it makes me comfort eat :-( Work has been mega stressful the last few weeks, there's been tears and moods and I'm just hoping it's not going to make my hair fall out again as quite a lot of it has started growing back in the last 6 months. I've been tasked with jobs way out of my comfort zone and they're actually jobs the person above me (2 grades higher on £10k more!) should be doing. I'm glad to be learning stuff but not when I'm having to do maternity cover for someone alongside my own job as the big boss never got us any cover like we were supposed to have. So long story short, I've been having chocolate some afternoons, sandwiches from the sandwich shop some days and crisps and cakes when it's been peoples birthdays. Again, not really overindulging for a normal person but for me it's too much.

Soooo, back on the wagon today, writing it all down, and hoping to get some of the weight off before the big company black tie do in April. I've got 5 weeks to shift as much as I can.

I've been sticking with the gym though but dropping from 3 or 4 sessions to 1 or 2 has definitely affected my fitness levels and muscles. So back to that this week too. I've been looking for some weights for home but all the pretty coloured girly ones with nice grips are all 4kg or less and I want 5kg. I don't really want to get mens ones and a pair of gloves. Have to keep looking.

I had the most people in my house yesterday that I've ever had, 7 of us. Mum, Dad, brother, Nan and Auntie. Luckily we all fitted out in the conservatory as it was a nice afternoon. I had spent most of the previous weekend and all of this one including Friday that I took off cleaning and tidying and that sort of thing so I reckon that burnt off a fair few calories as I didn't stop. I did a SW friendly roasted veg lasagne which seemed to go down ok. I've got leftovers for lunch :)

Nice to see you back Emmylou. You are not the only one who is feeling chunky. I have put on 2lbs after completly going off the rails. I have been scoffing all the wrong things, mostly chocolate and anything else that was sweet. I gave myself a talking to yesterday. I know that getting heavier will only increase my stress so I must get myself in gear.
Good luck with the rest of your week EmmyLou. xx

Not sure I'm liking this new look website, I'm not a great fan of change! I'm sure I'll get used to it soon enough. Been totally out of it for a few weeks, stress at work, not sticking to the plan, then flu last week which really sent me off plan (the thought of fruit and veg when I'm ill turns my stomach and all I want is rubbish), the security breach thing on here made me avoid it till that was sorted too.....but now I'm recovering from my bug, back to being able to face fruit and veg and hopefully I haven't done too much damage. I've not weighed for a few weeks so I have no idea. My work trousers are a little tighter but wearable!

I had my hair dyed last week, a red mahogany colour. Never dyed my hair before so for me it was a big deal. It's only semi permanent but it's a lovely colour that's more dramatic than I thought it would be. I promised myself that when most of my hair grew back then I wouldn't mind people focussing on it so much so I'd be able to colour it, I wasn't really keen on drawing attention to myself when my hair was so thin like it was 6 months ago. I also promised that I'd do it once I was slimmer for much the same reason, unwanted attention while I was fatter. I'm not really there yet but I'm still clinging on to the 2.5 stone award with the tips of my fingers for now. Shame I wasted the first week of my lovely new red colour being ill in bed but even though it's washed out a bit it's still nice. I'm definitely going to do it again and my hair dresser (who comes to my house) said if I get the dye she'd slap it on for free any time I get my hair cut as she can leave me to it once she's applied it. I paid her extra to put it on for me this time as she was round for an extra half hour - but only because she wanted to see the finished result :)

Bit of good news at work this week too that due to covering for someone's maternity leave (hence all the extra stress of late) I'm going to get about an extra tenner a day for my troubles so that calls for a shopping trip tomorrow ;-) I do need a new shrug/cardi for the upcoming works do, a new nail varnish etc

Right....off for a salad for my lunch, my body is wondering what this green stuff is!!

Great to see you back EmmyLou and glad to hear that you are feeling better. Good luck for the rest of the week. x

Back