A question about Ketosis

BordersGirl

Feeling great in 2012!
So the theory is that if you're in ketosis you are fat burning as you have used up your glycogen stores. I can see how that happens with S&S as the calorie intake is lower than everyone's BMR so there is a calorie deficit every day that leads to the weight loss.

What about ketosis on Atkins tho? You can be in ketosis with Atkins if you keep carbs low enough so as an extreme example if you had 3000 calories of mainly protein on Atkins I assume that this would put you in ketosis too? Surely tho the presence of ketones in this instance would not lead to fat burning as you would actually be consuming more calories that you would burn each day so surely that would lead to weight gain not loss?

hi i hav looked into atkins as was gonna do this before doin s&s and whn i reach goal will prob do it to maintain my weight. it is a different kind of diet.it is all to do with the percentage of carbs protein and fat that you eat. like for the first 2 weeks you can only have 20g of carbs and most of that has to come from certain vegetables or salad.you can hav a small amount of cheese full fat, olive oil or mayo and you can eat the skin or fat on meat andchicken as eating fat is important on atkins.so because you are eating low carb but high protein this is what makes you go into ketosis.not sure you can eat 3000 calories even tho in the book the dr says eat when you feel hungry and as much as you want until you are satisfied and not stuffed.i think the idea is that after time you no longer crave bad food and you automatically eat less.im def gonna give it a go when i reach my goal weight but will be keeping an eye on the calorie intake.its more of a change for life than a diet.if you eat too many carbs esp bad carbs you will put weight on.hope that helps. obviously if you wanna know more you can look at the atkins site it should explain everything x

I don't know all the science.... but I did atkins when I was 18 and lost around 50lbs in 5 months.... probably could have been more if I didnt keep adding things in the last two months - so... it does work!

Bordersgirl
From what i've read, although you have this unlimited supply of protein available it is very filling, so most people have a limit where they are satisfied. High Satiety or something
I know i could eat a box of choccies lol but would struggle with the same calorie value of protein.
As the carbs are really low you're body uses the fat eaten as fuel and when thats used up burns fat deposits ,or protein which takes much longer As you are eating protein your body shouldn't turn on its own muscle as a source of fuel.
If i'm understanding it right , you will still have to balance your calories finding out first your carb level then what percentage of protein and fat makes you lose or maintain your weight
Phewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
Hope this helps

That's a good article - thanks. Also explains very well that people should not get too het up about ketostix.

I can't answer the question but I followed atkins in 2009 and 2010. My losses weren't great because I kept cheating and when I didn't cheat I was always told my fat intake was nowhere near high enough! (I used a low carb forum and they had a part where you could log all your daily intake) and that not having enough fat would interfere with my loss.

I used to know pretty much all the rules about atkins but have forgotten most of it. I think it's just the carbs that effect the losses and not the calories, I don't know the science to this and I'm sure it's written online somewhere... in fact the forum I used to use it was talked about all the time by new members who couldn't quite understand how such a high calorie diet could result in weight loss.

I did enjoy doing atkins but really missed bread, pasta, potatoes, chocolate and so on... also buying all the meat to get my fat content up made my shopping bill pretty high so I think that was a big reason why I quit.

I lost 4 stone on atkins a couple of years ago...the actual amount you eat isnt controlled by rules and guidelines but by your own feelings of hunger or lack of. Obviously even on atkins and in ketosis if you eat until your stuffed full every meal you wont lose weight.

edit..im doing vlcd instead of atkins this time because it took 9 months to lose 4 stone , which is still pretty good but i want quicker!

Back