A Weigh of Life

I love your honesty hun.well done on your weight loss this week :) xxx

Excellent news about the loss! Well done you. You've made it a whole 4 weeks and, I promise, it does get easier. Things will become second nature.

Everyone has weaknesses. It's just a case of drawing a line under a bad day and starting afresh. Not to get downhearted and think that you might as well finish that multipack. You're not a quitter. You've come really far, and you'll only go further.

Yay you!
Xx

So now the big question is can I keep it up?
It's taken 28 days to shift 6 lb. If I can keep it up I've another 29 weeks until target. That's the end of October. That's a pretty long way off. Allowing myself a few weeks of staying the same or even putting on I'm probably looking at nearer Christmas.

Well done Zoe - and average of 1.5 lbs per week is a nice loss and it is maintainable over the long term. Quick losses are harder to maintain and people can get so dishearted when it doesn't continue. And like LS said, it does get easier. Honest !!

I'll still be here with you at Christmas - I still have 30 lbs to go and I'm only losing at 1/2 to 1 lb a week - so keep posting.

Days 29-33: Never Leave A Mini Egg Behind

Well, all I can say is Phoooph. What a few days. Ups and downs and downs and ups. Lack of preparation at football on Saturday saw me partake of quite possibly the most disgusting bacon roll I've ever had the displeasure of paying an overflated £3 for. Think: massive floury burger bun the size of a side plate and one slice of very fatty bacon slapped carelessly across the middle of it. I had to eat it. I was starving and I envisaged it as a much better option than a steak & kidney pie or a sausage roll. Managed to resist booze all day though and got home untarnished by other bad food.

Yesterday was awful. Up for work at 5am. Well planned on the food although I did allow myself some granary toast mid-morning because I was starving. But at nightfall: OMG!! I toddled off to bed with a packet of monster munch and mini eggs, which would just take me over my syns by 1 for the day. All very good and honourable. But oh no. Something undescribable clicked in my brain and after I had 2 mini eggs I had 2 more, then 2 more and on and on. When I reached 12 I took the packet upstairs and told my Mum to hide them from me.

I can't explain it at all. Every time I reached for the next two my head was even saying "you don't want to, but, heck go on". I even imagined little fatty mini egg sized lumps appearing on my thighs. So I was about 7.5 syns over. Probably. I'm telling myself I only had 12 but I'm in denial and it could easily have been 20. I completely slipped back into old diet Me who sneaks food into the bedroom because I deserve it.

I blame tiredness and the very odd after eight based dream I had during my early evening nap.

So, I have two days until WI. I can either limit my syns to 10 per day to recover myself or I can write off the whole weekend and just be 100% today and tomorrow. I think I'll go for the first as I'll be much more reticent to do it again if I have to learn the lesson from it over 2 days.

I'm feeling pretty useless right now. I am thankful that I made it to 31 days without a major lapse. An entire month. That's at least 29 days more than I managed on any diet before it. Hopefully the Gods of Slimming will actually reprimand me with tiny mini egg lumps somewhere about my person. If they do I can count them up and learn how bad I was.

Okay - so onwards and (scales) downwards.
100% for two days.
My fruit is chopped.
My dinner is defrosting.
My Mum has spent the morning hiding all the food.
What can go wrong?

Hope you're all having a much easier ride than me.

Zoe xx

While I'm here: does anyone else look at the dramatic weight losses from people on here following other more drastic plans and contemplate going for the quick fix? When I see people losing 7/8/9/10 lbs in one week and think I've been on this a month and am not ever there yet I get serious weight loss envy. I know SW is great for the long term and maintaining afterwards but, really, I'd love to lose over a stone by the time of my do at the end of May.

Hi Zoe, I agree it can be disheartening but then again learning to use food correctly and avoiding terrible side effects is a good thing!!
This is life long, and as frustratingly slow as it can feel, focus on how well you are doing changing the way you think !! Xx

Glad to see you back!!
Ok, firstly, don beat yourself up over a slip. All is ok, and now you just need to focus on being on track. 10 syns a day over the next couple of days may be a good idea. Honestly, ask yourself how many mini eggs fewer is that? Not many.

It seems as if you've hit that on month barrier and you're relaxing. That's not a bad thing, but you need to keep some focus. You have a goal! And a stone is doable by the end of May. Why not use the next 2 days as a practice, and keep your daily syns at 10 until then?

As for the weight loss envy? Been there. Have seen people on thus forum who are losing loads every week, but there is no way you'd catch me on the Cambridge diet. My mum has done it in the past, lost loads of weight and then put it all back on and then some. You also see people following CD who lose just a couple of pounds a week, at the same time as others on SW like RedRidingHood who has been on it for months and had great losses. She lost 4lb this week!

Personally, I'd stick here and try not to think of this a a diet. That is what will cause you problems. You reach target and think you can go back to normal. If you're not happy with your progress, maybe consider changing something? I am not a crisp fiend like some, but love chocolate and bread. In that vain, I treat the two as real treats. Maybe once a week I'll allow myself something with real chocolate and I find that works. I really look forward to it. I know that this Easter I will allow myself a couple of hot cross buns and syn some butter. Before, I'd have been buying them every week in the run up, and probably have had 2 for breakfast each day. It's all a case of limiting and finding a balance. Maybe you're just not quite there yet? This is a change of lifestyle, and will take time to get in to. I know you don't want to keep a food diary, but at least consider it... I've found it so helpful. And I find that I don't want to write down bad things, so I tend not to eat them!

Hope things are better, and I'm certain that one day's slip won't harm your loss this week!

Xx

Hi

I agree with lil sausage. I was on the Celebrity Slim diet, all i drank was shakes, and thats what I got. It was awful,yeah i lost weight fast, but deprived myself of everything as no carbs were allowed on it. As soon as i introduced them back in OMG i binged i missed my lil chocolate covered friends muchos. This is the best diet i have been on, well so far, for some people it may take longer to lose weight. Don't be disheartened.

I think it is easier for me because i live on my own and control what I buy. If i was at home it would be harder.

Instead of reaching for the chocolate, why not freeze some fruit juice with fruit pieces in and make ice lollies or if you need chocolate. Have cadburys choc fingers 1.5 syns each.

I just keep telling myself "Failing to plan is planning to fail".

That's what happened Saturday - I only took fruit with me (summer fruits and half a melon, big tubs of each) and I was out from 10am to 9pm. I usually take a pasta dish too but hadn't had time to make one. I just need to squeeze some more preparation time into my week.

I may do the food diary too as I also don't think I'm eating enough. It's just hit 1pm and I've only now had breakfast. As I'm on nights for next 3 days I didn't wake up until 11am but that's still 2 hours before I ate. I got up at 11am and had my hot lemon and a cup of tea so I could have made breakfast too. Allowing myself to get hungry means I go into the kitchen and panic eat whatever I can prepare in a hurry.

I could probably do with a bit of variety too, I have a different meal every night but my daytime food is very similar every day. Ready brek (hex b + milk hex a) and banana, pasta for lunch or baked potato n beans, and snacks of summer fruits, melon and grapefruit. Then either more ready brek or ryvita as my 2nd hex b.

I really enjoy what I'm having though and so far it's working so I'm slightly loathe to change it. I may review after weigh in though.

Instead of reaching for the chocolate, why not freeze some fruit juice with fruit pieces in and make ice lollies or if you need chocolate. Have cadburys choc fingers 1.5 syns each.

I discovered yesterday that a Fab! lolly is only 4.5 syns. Seriously OMG!! at that. Can't wait to get my hands on one now during this hot weather. Heaven on a lolly stick.

OMG Fab lollies are the best thing ever. I shall be investing in a trip to ASDA to stock up lol.

x

Having just laid down on my belly to have a quick afternoon nap ahead of the night shift I think I can explain last nights Mini-Egg-Gate. The hubbas are very tender and I suspect George is on his way for his monthly visit at some point within the next week. Must read back on old diarys to find out if that's possible as it seems very soon. Need to stay very strong now - weak point of the month.

EUGH at anything on a stick!
Hmmm... sounds like you may not be eating enough. Try a food diary - there are loads of very successful, experienced SWers here, who can point you in the right direction if they see anything amiss. It may help! xx

Hmmmmm. Not due until Sunday. This could be a very sleepless/sore week. If only I could sleep on my back.

While I'm here: does anyone else look at the dramatic weight losses from people on here following other more drastic plans and contemplate going for the quick fix? . . . I know SW is great for the long term and maintaining afterwards but, really, I'd love to lose over a stone by the time of my do at the end of May.
Zoe - Can I echo what LS and Woodland Girl have said. STICK WITH SW!
If you read some of the diaries in CD, Exante, All About W8 etc etc, everyone falls off the wagon at some point. Whilst they have fantasic weight losses on plan they also have HUGE WEIGHT GAINS off plan. I read one diary where just 10 days off the shakes resulted in a 10 lb gain.
A stone by end May is doable - it won't be easy and you will have to plan your food (but you know that so that's grandmothers and eggs).
Working odd shifts isn't easy either it really chucks your body clock out so you need to come up with a contingency plan for that too.

You've lost 6lb so that's only another 8 to go. If you throw in lost of superspeed food and drink loads of water - YOU CAN DO IT!

So, as suggested I'm going to start adding in my food diaries. I'm going to do it here but may start up in the other forum eventually.

So yesterday: Green Day

Hot water and lemon juice (freshly squeezed)

Breakfast (1pm): Ready brek and banana (hex b and half hex a for milk)

Lunch (5pm): Vegetarian sushi tray from sushi bar near work.
(synning this at 2 syns judging by average veg sushi on syns online)

6pm: still hungry so bunged an Uncle Ben's Mushroom Rice in microwave (2.5 syns)

8pm snack: Summer fruit salad - raspberries, blackberries, blueberries and strawberries.

Dinner (11pm): Vegetarian chilli made with quorn and yet more rice (Uncle Ben's Long grain - 1 syn)

Bedtime snack (3am): 3 ryvita (1 left from earlier hex b and 2 from 2nd Hex b) & 3 x laughing cow extra light triangles (2nd hex a - well half of it)

Remaining part of 1st hex a was used in cups of tea

Total syns 6.5 (I'm adding an extra one as I had to nick milk at one point and it was a large dash of semi skimmed)

Drinks: 5 x cups of tea. 6 x cans diet coke.

With the sushi/snack/dinner there's actually a lot of rice in there. I don't normally have that much on an average day but having scanned Pret, Eat and the canteen for a healthy lunch sushi was definitely the best option.

Also, other than what's in my chilli (lots) there's not a lot of veg in there either.
My fruit salads are all prepped at home and the tupperware is full to bursting so I'm getting a lot there. The boxes are about the size of a packet of babywipes.

Feel free to point out where I can improve. I know it's only one diary but other than the sushi this is about my average day (although I normally eat half a melon as well which I skipped yesterday).

Zoe x

Diary looks good! I try and squeeze as much superfree as poss in to all meals. That way I know I am having at least 1/3. And I don't think that rice is excessive, especially as you're not doing that every day! In the orient people eat way more. And they're tiny. Xx

Next week has gone t*ts up already. Have to go to Dublin for a funeral on Thursday and anyone that's ever met an Irish Mammy will know this means a full day of being fed cake, bread n butter and things that have been fried.

Bottoms

So yesterday: Green Day

Dinner (11pm): ... yet more rice (Uncle Ben's Long grain - 1 syn)

Drinks: 5 x cups of tea. 6 x cans diet coke.

Also, other than what's in my chilli (lots) there's not a lot of veg in there either.

Hi Zoe - in the main looks good but as you said not enough veg.

That's an awful lot of diet coke = caffeine. Caffeine can do really odd things to your weight loss. I used to drink gallons of the stuf and since I virtually chopped it out and converted to water (with low cal squashes in) I am losing more weight.

Now this is where SW may have changed since I got my books (very ancient) but as far as I know you can have ANY sort of rice on a green day without sinning it!
This recipe for Turkey Risotto on SW website is FREE on green
Turkey risotto - Recipes - Slimming World
So you may be sinning things when you don't need to.
Someone who currently goes to classes may be able to tell me I'm wrong.

The express (microwave in a bag) rice has oil in it I think, to stop it all sticking seeing as it's par-cooked. They have syns :(

Back