a werid one. how to get fat out of a toilet!

Fatty_no_more

Slimming for my children
right ok. so our sink was blocked a few months back and we have an outside toilet which i was pouring all the water down when the sink was blocked.

We found out that the sink had been clogged with fat from when we had been washing up.
we never ever use our outside toilet and i went to use it the other day and its got fat particles swimming on the surface of the water and also the toilet wont flush.

Apart from calling out an expensive plumber...... does anyone have any idea how i can unblock this myself?

xxxx

As long as you are careful and follow the instructions, caustic soda will clear it for you - it can destroy any organic matter such as fat or hair - and a bag of the soda is only a pound or so to buy, so a bargain too! I have long think hair so use it in the shower every couple of months to clear any gunk - gross!!

Yes caustic soda is the one!

Washing up liquid helps break up the fat and disperse it a little, along with boiling water but the fat will still coagulate somewhere evenutally!

The best thing to do to help in the future.....Not put fat down your sink at all.
You can get fat traps from your water company (free) online and you pour all your waste fat into it and add seeds etc and make little food cakes for the birdies. Or alternatively just wait until all the fat is hard and then put it in the bin.
Fat down sinks is one of the biggest nightmares for water companies.

You may find that the fat has also formed a plug in your drains/pipes if it's bad. I guess it depends how much fat you use!

Back