Abi's weightloss diary - post jaw surgery

Brilliant! Love it! x

Yes, they don't though. LOL. Well they'll have the house in France and the flat when we go, so that's plenty isn't it Linz.

I really don't understand why people automatically expect to be left an inheritance nowadays. My parents certainly didn't expect to get left anything. I'm not expecting anything from my mum & we'll all be cross if she hasn't spent what dad left her before she goes - maybe it's a class thing

I'm certainly going to be a SKIer;)

I agree Helen, I don't think our kids expect anything, but we'd love to be able to leave them the house and flat, it's nice to think you've been able to leave your kids things like that.

Yea, it's a bit of a leg up if they have something. Our kids have quite a struggle (just as we did) My mum and dad didn't own their own home and didn't leave much behind them. MIL has a house that we've been paying for but as it's in her name it could be taken away from us at the last minute if she needs residential care. We chose to do that for her rather than move on ourselves and it's only recently we have been able to afford to do one or two things around our own house. If we do eventually inherrit her house we'll be in a slightly better position for moving but ours alone won't get us much. That is all very much in the future as we don't know what is round the corner. Thankfully she is well and happy where she is and has a 90th birthday coming up. On the whole I'm glad we did things that way cos she hasn't had to worry about rent etc. but it is a worry that it might all be taken away at some point - it's been a lot of money over the years, sometimes hard to find x

It may be too late now Gem, but 12 years ago I bought into my mums house, just for that scenario, even if my Mother (god forbid) does have to go into a care home they can't take the house.

Yea that was supposed to happen but we had to wait 5 years as it was local authority - then she liked the independence of having it in her name and OH didn't wanna worry her but it could end up being taken from under our noses while we are still paying for it. I would advise anyone to do what you did - it's a little security isn't it. We don't even have a mortgage on the property - we ended up borrowing against our own home - how crap is that?

can't she leave it to you in her will gem?

my mum worried when she bought her house as she has a mortgage on it and is paying interest only as it's much cheaper than rent in the area and was going on about when i inherited it in would have a mortgage on it. as if she was worried about that?? she's only in her 40s. i'd much rather she spent her money and enjoyed herself than saved it all up for me!!

i am feeling a wee bit better. we spent most of the day hanging around at the eye clinic yesterday waiting for thomas's eye to get sorted. turns out when they tell you to arrive between 9 and 10, they don't actually expect to see you til after lunch, ha. one of the consultants was on holiday but they made the same amount of appointments so there was a lot of backlog...

thomas's eye is feeling much better now that all of the metal is out of it and he's got gunk to put in it for a week.

so today i have the glorious task of going food shopping and trying not to spend too much money.

also have got totm and i feel the size of a whale. hopefully will be gone by the time weigh in comes on monday or it's probably going to be a naff one :D

abz xx

Morning all,

Gem that is not a good position to be in love.

Abz, if you go into care these days they take your house to pay for it, doesn't matter what the will says love. Hopefully Thomas's eye will start to get better now.

Jim's right. You only get what's left from the cost of the care and it can disappear at the rate of £600/800 per week in a nursing home so you don't have to be a genius to work out that the proceeds from the sale of a house would not last too long. I understand why they do it but if she was paying rent to a landlord or the local authority they just take most of their pension and the rest is made up from their past contributions. My mum had something like £20 a week spending money left from her pension when she went into the nursing home and they're allowed to keep around £15,000 or £20,000 of their savings untouched (if they have any) - everything else is fair game and taken for their care. It won't matter that we've paid for the house - because it's in MIL's name it will be considered capital to be used and unless we can afford to pay (haha) it will have to be sold.

A nursing home is not somethin MIL would like so I hope it doesn't come to that for her sake but if it was what she needed for her safety or comfort we would make that decision regardless of the financial consequences but it really sucks!!!! x

Gem, there was some talk a while ago about the Conservatives limiting the care home payment to £12K as a one off lump sum and then the remainder would be the same as if you had rented or lived in council accommodation. That would be nice, but given the financial situation I don't see that happening.

We have lost the opportunity to do anything about it Jim as it had to come from her - now it's in the lap of the Gods and no-one really knows where the dice will fall. It's b****y annoying but not something we can dwell on as there is nothing we can do to change things. We don't say anything to MIL just in case she makes decisions with that in mind and the bottom line is that she had to have what she needs for as long as she is here x

Of course gem, we have to look after our elderly.

That's right Jim. That is why we bought the house in the first place. We always thought it was a sound investment so didn't mind the crippling expense and not being able to do anything in our own place. We are still glad that MIL has been free of financial worry and will not have to worry about where the next penny is coming from. She is comfortable and has everything she needs at the moment. She is living in the house she grew up in, has a stair lift and a scooter and some daily care coming in. Around 5 years ago she had a stroke which has left her disabled. She can, however walk with a walking aid and is making the best of the summer such as it is x

My FIL has a stair lift and a care package in place, my Mum has the scooter but doesn't yet need a stair lift.

ah gem. i see your predicament. sorry. i didn't click. there was a video on at the docs today about it actually, and about how the sale of houses can sometimes be overturned and it's always worth getting independent advice if it comes to it... strange that i saw that today...

i almost convinced myself to go onto slimming world or some such thing today. went to the docs to ask about some of the meds i'm on while i'm trying to get preggers and what vits i should take etc, as multivitamins all say not to take if you are doing this or that or the other. anyways, he asked if i was eating a balanced diet, and i said yes, and he said not to worry about it. and it wasn't until i stepped through the door that i realised that i have no idea what atkins does to your chances of conception but it was too late to ask by then. i was outside...

however, i bought some vitamins for people trying for a baby and have decided to stay on low-carbing for the timebeing as i think getting my weight down will be more beneficial than anything else. i have decided that i will up my veg however. i'm not going to worry too much about strictly counting carbs as such. obviously i will keep an eye on them, but i need more veg, so after monday i'm going to increase the amount, which i think i'm supposed to do after a fortnight in any case, just to be sure :) i feel healthier that way. i don't think i've been getting enough.

still. it finally happened. my friend was talking about if i was worried to just eat healthily, and i realised i didn't even want carbs. she sat there eating a chocolate muffin (she's allowed, she's skinny, ha) and i didn't even want any of it. so instead of having to resist eating carbs, i found myself trying to make myself do it, ha.

needless to say i came out of tesco with a low-carb shop...

however, i'm not sure we can afford this for much longer. it's costing me an absolute fortune!! another couple of weeks and i'll see what the losses are like and how our budget is doing...

hope everyone else is in fine fettle??

abz xx

well i've discovered that the vitamins i got have iron in them. and you aren't supposed to take iron supplements when on atkins are you? can it do lots of damage?

abz xx

ok. so i've had the headache from hell, been incredibly sick, and am now feeling a bit better and am attempting to eat one of the amazing sausages i found in tesco. i don't really understand the carb count on them as it says it has 0.11g carbs per sausage and 0.22 of those are sugars... which would make it more than the carb count. in any case. it's less than a gram per sausage and they are SO yummy. can't for the life of me remember who they are by but i will find out, ha.

i am really struggling to remember to eat carbs. i know that sounds ridiculous but i've totally lost my appetite so i think i've been eating too few, except on the days i snack on a few berries etc. i have nibbled on some red peppers this evening after realising i hadn't really had any at all today, the sausages have one or two... but i'm really hoping it won't affect my weight loss. really don't want my body to think that i'm not feeding it...

am off to work tomorrow, oh joy. i probably shouldn't be looking at a screen right now in case my headache comes back. in any case, looking at a screen for 10 hours tomorrow is NOT gonig to be fun.

plus, that bloody code and it's horrifying loops is just WAITING for me... i thought i would dream about it. instead i dreamt that me and the chap i'm doing it for went sledging... the mind is a weird and wonderful thing. shame i didn't come up with the solution whilst in my hat, scarf and gloves...

abz xx

Hehehe! I giggled out loud about your dream :D That's wicked!

Aww sorry you've been so poorly, babe :( Hope the headache does stay off tomorrow, that's the last thing you want.

Now you see, the fruit and veg is what I'd miss on Atkins. Like I said, not a vegan friendly diet! But your body does need fruit and veg, the vitamins and nutrients are most needed and most effective through them and don't react the same way if taken as a suppliment.

Bron

Back