Adding snacks

Kiika

Hello peeps. Couple of questions if I may:

1. A VLCD is a diet that consists of 800 kcal a day or less, is that correct?

2. If I added a morning and/or afternoon snack of protein e.g. A boiled egg or something. Along with my 4 S&S packs, would I still be doing a VLCD if the total kcals a day were less than 800? (although I do appreciate this would not be 100% S&S.... Unless I was a dude.... Which I'm not).

Cheers me dears! :)

Anyone got any opinion on the above? :)

As you say, it's not sns plan and wil slow you down a bit, but if it's protein and low fat, then it will still be low cal and keep you in ketosis. 800 or less is the standard for vlcd that I keep seeing, so yeah, you would still be on a vlcd diet at that amount I would presume. I'm sure someone who knows a lot more will be along to give you better info though.

Would probably just slow your losses a bit to be honest but with only 800 calories a day you'd still lose pretty good amounts. I have set my calorie intake to 800 calories a day in MFP as it happens and it calculates that I will lose around 2lbs per week.

Mhara said:
As you say, it's not sns plan and wil slow you down a bit, but if it's protein and low fat, then it will still be low cal and keep you in ketosis. 800 or less is the standard for vlcd that I keep seeing, so yeah, you would still be on a vlcd diet at that amount I would presume. I'm sure someone who knows a lot more will be along to give you better info though.

Well I was just thinking, I rarely drink tea or coffee with milk, and if I do it's usually because im hungry, so if I use the Cals/carbs limit from the skimmed milk, I could have something to eat instead and still have the exact same calorie level. I know it's not S&S plan but I'm still starving every day and I'm on day 13 now!

My Cals are around 650 -700 every day following S&S 100% (according to myfitnesspal.com) and i've had 4 packs today, 1 boiled egg and a mini peperami and my Cals are the same as I've not had milk :)

I though the milk was only about 50 calories?

BordersGirl said:
I though the milk was only about 50 calories?

I don't always have skimmed to hand so sometimes use semi. Also I don't like veg so only been eating half the allowance so I have those extra 30 or so cals too. I changed my MFP Cals to 700 a day now so it's more strict as I did have 800, but I found that left me feeling I was allowed to eat that much.

I'm only thinking of having a snack if I need one. If I'm not hungry I'll just have my 4 packs and that's all.

Also, have you seen the carbs in milk!! 7.5 extra carbs a day for the whole 150ml!! So I think egg is better in that respect, and I need all the help I can get with ketosis, I don't think it works on me!! I'm ravenous nearly everyday! :(

I don't have the milk at all during the week as a general rule to keep the carbs low, I generally only have it at the weekend when I have a latte coffee as my little treat.

Deezer said:
I think if a snack keeps you on track.... whats the harm... X

That's what I thought. I've always been a snacker, and my will power alone is really wearing thin as I am starving every day. So today I thought enough is enough and I had a boiled egg it made me feel ten times better and my carbs are lower today and my Cals are the same as every other day :)

I'm still going to eat my 4 packs tho :D

Only a shame I can't honk on the 100% thread any more. Booo! Lol :D

Youd probably be best to try it and keep a close eye on your weightloss. If its to slow or not shifting then you'll know it wont work for you. At least your sticking to keto friendly foods : )

If you're hungry than having protein is the way to go - as well as being low in carbs. As long as you keep our cals below 800 and your carbs below 50g to 60g a day you'll be fine. It doesn't matter if you lose a little more slowly - being fuller means you're more likely to stick to it and lose it than struggling and then coming off the diet.

I won't know if my loss slows because I haven't weighed yet. I'm going to try not to have anything, but if in desperate then I'll have something protein to keep me on track :)

Kiika said:
I won't know if my loss slows because I haven't weighed yet. I'm going to try not to have anything, but if in desperate then I'll have something protein to keep me on track :)

Better that than off rails completely xx

Back