Adopting a rescue dog

Hugo has arrived! Picked him up yesterday afternoon, he is a very well behaved soul, and a very quick learner! My OH is excellent at training dogs, and has already got Hugo 'staying', 'sitting', 'leave it' and not pulling when we walk him. He is also fine off the lead.
My cat however, decided to go up the chimney. 7 hours, 4 firemen, 1 fire engine and an RSPCA lady later, the cat crawled down the chimney of his own accord. He is in a RIGHT bad mood, didn't appreciate his bath, and is in the kitchen, having a grump. So yesterday was perhaps the day from hell. And now I have a three storey building FULL of soot. No room is unharmed :(:(

If these pics have worked, There's Hugo, what was my fireplace in the back bedroom, and my OH, on the roof, 3 storeys up, trying to hook a cat - not too different to hook a duck, but no goldfish.

Attachments

• IMAG0522.jpg
    IMAG0522.jpg
    355.5 KB · Views: 58
  • IMAG0525 (1).jpg
    IMAG0525 (1).jpg
    485.5 KB · Views: 58
  • IMAG0523.jpg
    IMAG0523.jpg
    335.3 KB · Views: 66
  • IMAG0524.jpg
    IMAG0524.jpg
    442.1 KB · Views: 54
No. The OH took the fireplace out in the vain attempt that one of us would fit up. Sadly, his shoulders were too wide, and I was too chicken! The 4 (yes, four) firemen didn't even go on the roof. They attempted ladders, but as it wasn't life and death, they were going to come back this morning. They did a great job though, and I totally understand why they couldn't do it - it was dark, and the cat would have been fine sat till morning. I was so embarrassed, and insisted on uploading pictures to Facebook, of course!

Now I have the task of cleaning the house. Even the hoover is covered in soot! Think I'm gonna have to do it in the buff :eek:

Hugo is delightful. He looks such a happy little man.

The cat incident had me laughing too, sorry.

Hope they become friends...........cats are strange creatures at times.

Oh no, I shouldn't laugh but I am sat her completely weak with tears rolling down my face as I picture the scene!!

I'm so glad that we have a happy (funny!!) ending to this story. Hugo is gorgeous and is very lucky to have found you. We used to have a Collie and he was such a clever thing, full of energy and love, and so protective of us all. He used to hate cold callers at the door and one day took his revenge by peeing on the energy salesman's leg!! Not funny for him but I was in stiches as I offered him a babywipe for his trousers!!

I hope the cat is OK, the cleaning is progressing and that Hugo and the cat learn to love each other one day!!! Enjoy them all xxx

The clean up took 4 solid hours, and it still isn't done, as the dyson had had enough too! Even my spice jars had soot on them, which puzzled me! Hugo has kennel cough, so getting him some antibiotics later. Dude is inside now, hides from Hugo, and when Hugo spots him, he hisses at him. But at least he is inside and eating, so progress is happening!

Dog, cat, 2 birds, tortoise, hamster, marine tank, 3 tropical tanks.....I'm sure I could squeeze a rabbit in somewhere :D

The clean up took 4 solid hours, and it still isn't done, as the dyson had had enough too! Even my spice jars had soot on them, which puzzled me! Hugo has kennel cough, so getting him some antibiotics later. Dude is inside now, hides from Hugo, and when Hugo spots him, he hisses at him. But at least he is inside and eating, so progress is happening!

Dog, cat, 2 birds, tortoise, hamster, marine tank, 3 tropical tanks.....I'm sure I could squeeze a rabbit in somewhere :D

A regular menagerie!! Its its much consolation my dog's efforts managed to destroy a dyson once, completely burnt out the motor! Moral of the story - when your dog has shredded a coir mat and spread the short spiky bits of straw stuff throughout the downstairs of your house, don't try and suck it all up with the dyson!!! This is the same dog that stopped me getting in the house one night as she'd pulled up the entire hall and stairs carpet and piled it up against the front door -that was a long night with a pot of carpet glue! Mind you, we still have her, she is is gorgeous and now has the best temprament you could have, but progression from 16 week rescue puppy to balanced adult took several years and lots of trial and error, and several bodge-up DIY projects!!!

That is my idea of hell! I've not left him in on his own yet, and probably won'e be doing so till tomorrow. I sooooo hope he doesn't trash the joint! He's a good learner, doesn't pull on the lead any more, still getting him to sit before crossing the road. But he knows his name, and always comes back when I let him off. Trying to whistle train him, but I might leave that to the OH to do, he is better at training than me, I'm too darn soft :eek:

congratulations on Hugo, he is gorgeous.
my cat hated my dog when we got her from the rescue centre, but now he lets her groom him. xx

That is my idea of hell! I've not left him in on his own yet, and probably won'e be doing so till tomorrow. I sooooo hope he doesn't trash the joint! He's a good learner, doesn't pull on the lead any more, still getting him to sit before crossing the road. But he knows his name, and always comes back when I let him off. Trying to whistle train him, but I might leave that to the OH to do, he is better at training than me, I'm too darn soft :eek:

He sounds like such a darling - he is one lucky lucky boy to have found you xxxx

Have really enjoyed following this thread. Hugo is gorgeous! You must be so happy. Makes me want a dog again! Good luck! Hope everything goes well for you x

Back