Advice about recommended dietary intake

lostinarnia

Hello all,

I rejoined the forums today and I am feeling rather motivated! :)

Over the last couple of days I have been doing a lot of research I have found out about the Nutritional Pyrimid but I am confused about portion sizes or if there is a recommended daily intake of the foods. Can anyone offer me some advice please? Or if anyone can provide any links for a newbie / dummy to healthy eating!

Here is what I know already and some questions -

Fruit and Vegetables -

There is a recommendation to eat 5 portions a day.
What makes a portion? Does the portion sizes vary for each type of fruit and vegetable

Carbohydrates -

Should comprise of the majority of each meal.
Is there any recommendation

Protein -

I don't know anything!
Is there a recommended amount that should be consumed?

Wholegrains -

I don't know anything!

Diary -

I don't know anything!

Is there anything obvious that I have missed?

Thanks in advance!

lostinarnia xx

What's recommended changes dramatically based on who you're talking to and what plan they're following. However, following recommended government guidelines, the following might help.

Fruit and Vegetables -

There is a recommendation to eat 5 portions a day.
What makes a portion? Does the portion sizes vary for each type of fruit and vegetable

A portion of fruit or veg is 80g Regardless of type.

Carbohydrates -

Should comprise of the majority of each meal.
Is there any recommendation

Wrong. Carbs should consist of approximately 1/4 - 1/3 of your meal. A medium potato is the size of a computer mouse, pasta & rice etc, follow the recommend serving size or roughly one handful.

Protein -

I don't know anything!

A portion of meat is the size of a deck of playing cards. Should make up roughly 1/3 of your plate (noting that protein sources include eggs and nuts etc...)

Wholegrains -

I don't know anything!

Depends on the grain you want to have whole... In some grains there's barely any nutritional difference between the white and brown version (refined vs whole). However, wholegrains are supposed to a) be good for your heart and b) keep you fuller. So switch to brown bread etcc.... (personally I can't stand brown pasta/rice so don't bother). Wholegrains = carbs

Diary -

I don't know anything!

Is there anything obvious that I have missed?

1-2 portions of diary per day is recommended. Portion of cheese is the size of a matchbox (roughly 25g-30g) and milk it depends on what you're after. Skimmed has more protein than the others.

Essentially the guidance for the basic makeup for a plate of food is:
  • 1/2 veg/fruit
  • 1/4 carbs
  • 1/4 protein

Back