Advice please: MP3 or iPod????

x Alex x

Silver Member
Hi everyone,
just want some advice. want to start doing some more outdoor exercise but I need music to keep me motivated - one problem, I don't know whether to get an ipod or an mp3 (not quite sure of the difference either). all i want is to be able to transfer my CDs to either an ipod or mp3 and then go jogging or whatever.

advice anyone? which is best?

Mp3's r ok if ur not technical but iPod is better u can store more I'm not at all technical but I find the iPod pretty easy so any1 can :)

what size GB will i need?

iPod!!!

I would say ipod. They are so small but easy to use and select songs. Theres no faffing about with menus. I would also save some money and buy one of the older ones from ebay, as the new ones are cool but they do the same thing :)

I have had both an mp3 (now my sons) and currently have a 64GB itouch.

If you commute and like to read or play games then the itouch is the way forward.

If you only want to listen to music then go for an mp3 as they're much cheaper.

Also, depending on how much music you want to put on there, i'd go for an mp3 player which has a microSD slot so you can top up the memory. For example, the Creative Zen (bought from Amazon) i had, had 4GB of memory on it but it also has a SD card slot so i bought an 8GB card and had 12GBs worth of memory to play around with.

Hope this helps...don't hesitate in asking any questions...i'm very techy and love my gadgets! lol :D

Hey, I'm a newbie here but love technology, firstly let me tell you:

MP3 player, you can put all your music in there and stick a battery in and off you go.
Ipod, same thing as an MP3 player but with a bigger screen and its slimer (basically an Ipod is just like a fashion item)

as you said you wanted to put the music from your cds into one lets say you pick an MP3 player. a music CD is 700MB which can hold up to 80 minutes of music so if you have say a collection of 100 disks? then you'll need around 8 gigs and quickly checking on amazon :p an 8gb mp3 player costs 28 pounds while an ipod with 8gb costs 277 pounds brand new or 65 for a used one. big price difference :p

i say get an MP3 player if its just for listening to music when you go outdoors.

an 8gb mp3 player costs 28 pounds while an ipod with 8gb costs 277 pounds brand new or 65 for a used one. big price difference :p

I dont know where youre getting your ipod prices but you can get a brand new Ipod Nano (8gb) for just over £100. Even an 8gb ipod touch is under £200 brand new

If it's just to go jogging with I wouldn't bother paying the extra just to have an ipod.

I just got a little 2gb clip mp3 player from amazon for about £11. It turned up the other day and it's better than I expected. I used to take my ipod out, but in reality, the arm strap it goes into is just an annoyance.

But that's just what i've found anyway.

Lumix said:
as you said you wanted to put the music from your cds into one lets say you pick an MP3 player. a music CD is 700MB which can hold up to 80 minutes of music so if you have say a collection of 100 disks? then you'll need around 8 gigs and quickly checking on amazon

Actually for 100 albums, with say 13 tracks on each album, and assuming track lengths are 3 minutes on average, you woukdn't need 8gb, you would only need 2gb.

I love my iPod touch- on it now on this forum using the apps!! So it can cater for all your music needs swell as apps and Internet. I even track my wright on a free app and have various other things like books etc it is mire pricey but can't imagine my life without it now !

.mp3 is actually the file type and so an Ipod is just a different type of mp3 player. I personally have an Ipod touch and whilst they're great, I think the new Nano would be better for jogging as it's so small and has a little clip. The touch does have wifi and apps, can browse the internet and use the Ipod store to buy music and games etc...

It really depends what you want out of it, how much music you have, whether you want other apps and internet too or just a bog standard mp3 for jogging.

I would suggest browsing the mp3 players on Amazon and reading the reviews.

Actually for 100 albums, with say 13 tracks on each album, and assuming track lengths are 3 minutes on average, you woukdn't need 8gb, you would only need 2gb.

well on average when i burn a cd i can fit 18 tracks hence why i used those figures.

so if 1 cd = 700mb
100 cds = 70000mb
70000 mb = 8 3/4 gigs

mp3 player requires batteries
ipod just charge off laptop/pc

i use my iphone :) for jogging or even when im just strolling in the park

I had a wee cheap and cheerful MP3 player but hated that I couldnt play a specific album etc, having said that it was only a £10 one. I got a Nano a couple of years ago and loved it. The I got a touch and its fantastic! My Nano now lives permanently on the docking station in my kitchen and my touch is the one I use day to day and have docked in the car.

If you can afford an ipod - Id say go for it :)

I am writing this without reading what anybody else has said -- DO NOT GET AN iPOD. They are expensive and you can only put music on it if it's purchased from iTunes, at least from my experience. Once you've purchased the music from iTunes, you can't get the songs open on any other program (at least, from my own experience).

Do yourself a favor and get an inexpensive MP3 player. It will get the job done with a LOT less hassle!

Back