Alcohol when on CD. Will I die???

Discussion in 'Cambridge Weight Plan' started by Mr Creosote, 15 July 2011 Social URL.

1. Mr Creosote

Mr Creosote Full Member

Start Weight:
    19st11lb
    Current Weight:
    19st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    14st11lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge Diet
    I am Day 4 of CD and doing well. However I have a big family wedding on saturday 23rd July and it will be difficult to be tea total.
    I am planning to have a few vodka and diet coke's (zero carbs), which I know is not adviseable but I have to be realistic.
    I am reading articles on this forum that say if you are in Ketosis and drink alcohol you could actually go unconscious and die....Surely things aren't that drastic....Sure I'll temporarily go out of Ketosis but death???? Really ???:cry:

1974rach likes this.
  2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Tano

Tano Gold Member

Start Weight:
    12st2lb
    Current Weight:
    10st1.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Lost(%):
    2st0.5lb(16.76%)
    Diet:
    CWP
    Haha I'm still alive!!!

4. Poppysparkle

Poppysparkle Silver Member

Start Weight:
    16st5lb
    Current Weight:
    12st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    3st6lb(20.96%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge SS
    LOL!! I've never drunk while in ketosis, so can't answer from my own experience. I had a friend who did though and only had a glass of wine or two, and she was really badly affected by it. She said she had to be taken home and was really ill and didn't know where she was and was terrified as she felt so awful. It's been enough to keep me away from my favourite tipple of red wine.....;)

5. Starlight

Starlight Gold Member

Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    You wont necessarily get knocked out of ketosis but you may well end up in hospital, a number of people on here have had alcohol when in ketosis and have passed out, been very ill and some have actually ended up in hospital

Its just not worth it. It would be far safer to knock yourself out of ketosis, the day of the wedding, enjoy your day and get back on track the next day - or ofcourse just stick to soft drinks.

6. vonpeeky

vonpeeky Full Member

Start Weight:
    15st10lb
    Current Weight:
    14st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st4lb
    Lost(%):
    0st11lb(5%)
    Diet:
    cambridge
    speaking from a medical point of view.... its like drinking on a completely empty stomach when you havent drank in a year! you will find if affects you very differently then it did when not in ketosis. so take it steady :)

7. Shiny

Shiny Full Member

Start Weight:
    15st10lb
    Current Weight:
    15st2lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Lost(%):
    0st8lb(3.64%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge Diet
    The diet coke will knock you out of ketosis anyway! I'd knock yourself out the night before with a little meal, eat and drink sensibly on day of the wedding and get right back on it next day. Better that that having a drink, feeling horrendous and then spoiling the day. Thats my plan for tomorrow. I know I've knocked myself out as I don't have the raging thirst i get when in ketosis

8. alipally

alipally Serial Dieter!

Start Weight:
    118.3kg
    Current Weight:
    113.7kg
    Goal Weight:
    80kg
    Lost(%):
    4.6kg(3.87%)
    Diet:
    Optifast/cambridge
    Few people are actually affected by Diet coke in terms of knocking themselves out of ketosis..... the very first time I did CD I lost 7 stone and drank 1L of diet coke every day!

However I would advise that you have a small meal with a few complex carbs included to slow the absorption of alcohol.... As your liver has no gycogen back up absorption will be v v fast and you will feel very drunk very quickly... after only one or two drinks!

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.